[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FUCKED BIKE FRAME

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20170527_110641.jpg (3MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170527_110641.jpg
3MB, 4096x2304px
Sup /diy/

An alcoholic nazi neighbor of mine sold me pic related bike for 14 dollars. The entire rear gear assembly was fucked. I guess the previous owner got hit by a car or some shit cause even the "carrier" was bent and I had to pay to get it straightened out.

Now the area where the carrier was bent got completely fucked (pic below) due to metal fatigue and my fat bitch-ass going up and down curbs at high speeds.

My question is if it's possible/worth getting this welded back together. I use the bike for regular normalfag cycling, not mountain biking so it would not undergo that type of stress.
>>
File: fuckmylife.jpg (3MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
fuckmylife.jpg
3MB, 4096x2304px
;_;
>>
>>1183902

use that fiber fix it stuff
>>
>>1183902

Of course it's possible. the qusetion is if it's worth it, and that is something only you can answer.
Best would be if you already had the tools needed for welding, otherwise you will either have to rent them if you wanna do it yourself or have someone do it which will be even more expensive.
>>
>>1183904
Never seen that before.

Being as though it broke there and not down the weld I would say you would be fine to weld it, or get someone to.
>>
>>1183902
strip the wheel and gears off. Take it to a weld shop and have them weld the seam and add a triangular piece coming out of the corner of the frame so that it has more support. Or get a HF welder/stick welder and do it yourself. Then I would go over it with carbon fiber, but probably not necessary
>>
Just use JB weld and gorilla tape. It's more than enough for city use.
>>
>>1183984
This guy has the right idea. It would take no time. Just ask for a "gusset" not a triangular piece. So you won't seem like an idiot. They will probably brush some the paint off depending of the type of weld. Be ready to do some more brushing and have a can of primer and the color you would like handy. That newly weld spot will likely tend to rust
>>
>>1184005
>Just use JB weld and gorilla tape.
lol
>>1183984
all this, maybe except
>Or get a HF welder/stick welder and do it yourself.

>ALLOY 7005
stick welding small area aluminum would be entertaining
>>
>>1183902
this >>1183984
take the frame to som weld shop
also reinforce it woudl be a good idea
>>
>>1184138

Use FiberFix. The shit is legit. it's like a fiberglass cast you just wrap and it is strong AF! buy it anywhere now adays.
>>
>>1184187

I second this
>>
File: 1490837750077.png (135KB, 340x296px) Image search: [Google]
1490837750077.png
135KB, 340x296px
>>1183902
>putting money into a department store bike
>>
>>1183957
>as it broke there and not the weld
You are not a welder I take it
>>
>>1184040
I've never seen aluminum rust before, anon...
>>
>>1184138
I'd love to see this guy weld aluminum with a HF 120v stick welder.
>>
The bike is total shit and not worth the repair costs
t. Cyclist
>>
You'd have to heat treat it after tig welding it.

Also its a fucking department store bike.
>>
>>1183902
I have broken many bikes (doing bunnyhops)
But never have seen something like this.
>>
>>1183984
>>1184040
Any good weld shop will tell you to fuck off with that because it's not worth the money, but you can probably find some Bubba with an HF TIG rig to stick it back together. The problem is they're not likely to have the equipment to re-do the heat treatment, so it will probably crack again immediately.

There is no point in trying to repair a cracked aluminum frame unless it's something irreplaceable and worth dumping money into. OP's bike can be replaced for about $50 at Wal-Mart, which is probably less than Bubba would charge to shit it up some more.
>>
>>1184682
do you have to heat treat 7005?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.