[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

f-ing morons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: aypmower.jpg (7KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
aypmower.jpg
7KB, 400x400px
who the hell would put a mower blade bolt turning the same direction as the blade spins...

craftsman, that's who
had the grind off the whole freaking head of the bolt to get the blade off, and low and behold, no wonder the breaker bar turning clockwise wouldn't get it off
>>
>>1183762
>grinds the bolt off instead of trying to back it out first
>f-ing morons

and the fail continues...
>>
>>1183762
>f-ing morons
> grind off the whole freaking head of the bolt

wait, who's the moron?
>>
>>1183762
you're supposed to start it then put the wrench on
>>
>>1183762
>who the hell would put a mower blade bolt turning the same direction as the blade spins
Every lawn mower manufacturer because thats how its done
>>
>>1183766
>>1183770
of course that would have been the obvious answer; even after penetrating oil and a cheater bar, it wouldn't budge

>>1183782
no
they are supposed to be going in the opposite directions to prevent the spinning from loosening the blade
>>
>>1183762
Turning clockwise would be tightening it.
>>
If you dab some anti-seize on the bolt threads removing it next time will be easier...if you turn the bolt COUNTER-clockwise that is.
>>
>>1183790
The blade is being driven by the motor though, through the shaft, resistance from the air, grass, stones and shite acts anticlockwise if the blade is turning clockwise, therefore you want the bolt to tighten anticlockwise and loosen clockwise, the same direction as the blade turns.
No?
>>
>>1183762
> the idiot not trying either direction

Do you even diy
>>
>>1183762
>low and behold
You uneducated swine.
>>
This is why impacts exist. Fucking retard
>>
>>1183790
You're thinking of a 200 hp engine where you'd actually need it. Law mowers are what, 6hp maybe? Absolutely unnecessary
>>
>>1183832
>a 200 hp engine where you'd actually need it.

1/2hp circular saws are the same.
The nut or bolt holding the blade turns the same direction as the blade to loosen it.

Bench grinders are the same. The nut holding the grinding rock on one side it RH thread and on the other side is LH thread.
Powered device shaft nuts or bolts are almost universally loosened by turning the nut or bolt the direction of travel while blocking the wheel or blade from turning.
>>
Is this lawnmower bitching general?
>Pin holding the handle on a Toro mower fails
>Impossible to replace because they use some special snowflake tapered pin where a bolt would work fine
>>
>>1183790
Obviously the way they did it prevented the loosening of the blade.

>you're some Fuckin idiot
>>
>at dad's place
>mowing sloped back yard
>pushing it cautiously to not break flimsy handle
>dad sees
>"you look like you're really struggling it's because you don't get enough protein you should stop"
>yeah okay whatever
>next time brother mows lawn, handle becomes half detached
>somehow doesn't notice handle is twisted to to be nearly perpendicular to mower
>keeps going until I try shouting over mower and then finally go and touch him
ADD can be really dangerous. He can also slice, butter, and eat a loaf of bread and not be aware of it.
>>
>>1183778
This. Op needs to learn how to use power tools. Always switch it on before adjusting it. How else are you gonna see how tight it gets when the power is on?
>>
File: 2132542-1.jpg (64KB, 544x408px) Image search: [Google]
2132542-1.jpg
64KB, 544x408px
>>1184856
i had some interesting problems yesterday getting a blade off the bottom of a newly acquired riding mower for the first time. after getting the huge blade deck off (54in) and 2 of the 3 blades off with my impact wrench the last one remained completely seized and the bolt head started stripping.

after messing with a monkey wrench and breaker bar for a while i ended up grinding the thing off, which sent the head of the bolt about 10 feet into the air. it ended up that the washer underneath was some kind of hardened steel crush washers that held the blade so tightly against the spindle that the bolt was being pushed outwards and locked in place. once the washer was off the remaining bolt spun right out of the shaft and i replaced all three bolts with new Grade 8 ones to avoid anymore head stripping.

the beast in question; got a 22hp Craftsman with a 54in deck for $700 off CL after the last my last mower decided to grow a 3in crack in the side of the engine block. the previous owner had some pretty serious overhaul work done on it with a lot of new parts so it was a bit of a steal for the price.
>>
>>1183762
What the hell you're smoking? Looking from bottom, blade spins counterclockwise, bolt tightens clockwise. Here's how it is done:
>unplug sparkplug for safety
>if using hand tools, find a way to lock blade in place
>turn counterclockwise
>if at all possible, use impact gun, set to counterclockwise.

How do you plan on putting a blade on if the bolt is now headless in the shaft? If you really ground off the head, the mower is now dead.
>>
This has to be the dumbest post in /diy/ ever... holy shit...
>>
File: 41FMzDowIhL._SX342_.jpg (13KB, 342x220px) Image search: [Google]
41FMzDowIhL._SX342_.jpg
13KB, 342x220px
>>1185121
you mean a lock washer? hope you put a new one back on after you got done butchering your shit
>>
>>1185121
If you're that concerned, put anti-seize on the threads. Won't come off on their own, but will when you want them to.
>>
if only there was somewhere that had archives of information, stored digitally and indexed so it could easily be found by use of a search engine. man that would be great wouldnt it?
>>
>>1185128
no lock washers, just a very thick fender washer with a very slight convex shape. kind of like one of these crush washers used on firearms barrels, but 2 inches wide and the curve was barely noticeable. i would have attributed the slightly warped shape to somebody previously tightening the bolt down to tight but the washer was made of some of the hardest steel ive come across, my TiN step bits had a lot of trouble reaming out the center to slip the new bolts in.

>>1185130
i put anti-seize on the new bolts; im more concerned about stripping out the bolt head again, thats why i jumped up to Grade 8 hardware.
>>
>>1185168
>>
>>1185168
>why i jumped up to Grade 8 hardware
Cool, now it'll snap instead of bending a little bit!

Harder isn't always better.
Antiseize and nordlocks are good.
>>
Why not just put the blade in reverse so the nut loosens?
>>
>>1183762
If you turn the bolt in either direction, the motor will turn in that direction. Doesn't matter which way the motor turns in operation. You probably shouldn't be messing with tools and stuff, but next time try an impact tool to get the nut loose. Or smack the breaker bar with a hammer to get it loose.
>>
>>1183762
Why the hell would you not think to wedge a hunk of timber or other object under the blade disk to stop it from rotating as you work the nut..?
>>
>>1183803
>>1183790

If you look at the top of the mower the motor spins clockwise. If you look at the direction the blade is spinning from the ground up (the direction the bolt is going), it's spinning counter-clockwise.
>>
>>1183778

Holy shit it'd be amazing to brace the wrench after putting it on the bolt and do it like a boss
>>
>>1183762
You're not very bright, sorry bud.
>>
I like how OP's subject is a self reflection.
>>
>>1185173
Grade 8 is just regular strength..
>>
>>1183832
>>1183977
Yep, can confirm the circular saws. Had the head of a bolt break off my mum's saw.

I was going to try drilling into it with a rusty old bit to have something to turn, but to my surprise the friction of drilling into it was enough to undo it.
>>
>>1184899
>ADD can be really dangerous
I agree. I once got so into the making of a pb&j, I forgot to breathe. I finished making the sandwich, went to take the first bite, and inhaled deeply as soon as my mouth opened. On the other hand, I was also under the influence of three whole marijuanas at the time. Take from this what you will.
>>
>>1183762
He doesnt try to cut it for a big flathead.

He doesn't drill and easyout it.

He doesnt heat it up at least.
Anon, its so the fucking blade doesnt take you out at the ankles
>>
>>1183827
He isnt man enough to twist it off...
>>
>>1185303
As I see it, everything is designed by the book. Imagine the engine shaft is spinning, but the bolt is not. Would it tighten by itself? If yes, everything is alright and normal. Imagine just the engine shaft turning, and the blade turning less fast because it is loose. The blade would turn in a direction relative to the bolt so that the friction between the blade and the bolt would have a tendency to tighten the bolt.
As the blade rotates ccw, you also loosen the bolt that fixes it fix it in that direction.
>>
>>1185302
This... done it for years
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.