[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIY flintlock kit question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: kentucky-rifle-kit-main.jpg (50KB, 1200x400px) Image search: [Google]
kentucky-rifle-kit-main.jpg
50KB, 1200x400px
I was planning on using birchwood casey plumb brown to brown my flintlock barrel and i was using a laser temp gauge to monitor it as it heated. Since the temp required for the chemical to work is 275F i kept heating and checking for a while. The barrel turned a dark purple with the amount of heat and my wooden plug turned to charcoal before the guage even got to half the temp required. i used the chemical and its now a multicolor finish with thick rust scale on it. did this stupid fucking gauge make me ruin my barrel or do you think it would be safe to shoot still?
>>
i can get rid of all the rust there is no pitting, im just worried about how hot it got.
>>
>>1183554

Card off the scale and repeat the process.
It may take three or four applications.
>>
>>1183554
Purple indicates it was around 500 degrees F. This expanded the steel 5 thou. It also tempered the barrel. Honestly? It could be fucked.it could not be. How much do you trust holding a grenade every time you shoot?
>>
i mean were the original barrels for flintlocks hardened at all or were they just forged to shape and the drilled/ shaped? if so then im not worrying to much because it has fairly thick walls but if so that worries me.
>>
>>1183555
>>1183557

Bluing chemicals will eat up wood and other natural materials, I doubt it got that hot.

Unless you had the raytech set for Celsius, thinking it was reading Fahrenheit, in which case, "You done fucked up".
>>
I mean I would be worried if they were hardened in the first place. the reason im actually asking is because i have seen ar-15 barrels glow red from firing so a a dark purple cant be too bad on a much thicker barrel that takes much less pressure right?
>>
no i triple checked it was set for Fahrenheit, im just afraid that it was faulty because those colors dont lie.
>>
>>1183563
>>1183565

On a tube like what you likely have, no it probably was not heat-treated. And if the gauge was set right, the "blue" is from the chemicals, rather than the heat.

Salt blue tanks get to ~300F, so if your gauge is on, 275 is fine.

If so, card the tube, reapply the finish, repeat the process til you get the color you want.
>>
that the thing though, the color was there from the heat, i put finish on when the metal was purple becuase according to the gauge it was time.
>>
>>1183554
Those would have been made of fiber-reinforced plastic if it was available at the time. Wood is dum.
>>
>>1183569
You may have gotten it a bit too hot by the sounds of it, but again, most black powder gun tubes are a normalized steel, and not heat-treated.

It's probably still fine. Just do proper proof firing when you get it together.
>>
cool thanks
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.