[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

apartment is wired with cat5e sorta

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: rsz_20170526_131801.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_20170526_131801.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Hi I have a ltitle puzzle in my new apartment and it may be more of a /g/ question.

There are Rj45 jacks and the coax outlets wired in my apartment. They all lead to a switch box in the 2nd bedroom walk-in closet.

I would like to use the cat5 J
jacks for my living room media center and part of my overall home network and partly becuase I detest using WiFi for any kind of streaming and to rely on it for things like my automated aquarium controler. If the hardware and infrastructure exists I'm paying enough rent to take advantage of it.
Sadly the building landlord idiots and even worse comcast (which I have no choice in using becuase my building is wired ONLY for comcrap) have absolutely no idea it exists or how it works or is wired. I assume no one cares becuase most of the normie plebs clog the airways with wifi a anyway.

Now I opened the switch box and I switched where the coax splits and what seems to be a hub or sorts for both data and another for the conventional telephone.

I've tried testing these jack and it only works port to port (ie if I connect my modem/router to a wall jack I will only get conectivity to the terminus on that weird hub in the switch box). Obviously an actual switch/hub is required and whatever that box is, it's just an organizer.

Make things even more confusing on that data hub there is labels for living room, 1st br, 2ndbr and also a "feed" but to what?

the company that makes that is called open house but google hasn't really turned up much other then products for smart homes.
>>
File: rsz_20170526_141919.jpg (4MB, 2988x5312px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_20170526_141919.jpg
4MB, 2988x5312px
Sorry I didn't properly rotate the image . So long story short of anyone here know what the fuck I'm looking at here by all means inform me.

It would be great becuase I want to use my guestimate bedroom as a home office and part of my walk in closet space to put a server rack in.
>>
>>1183362
If you connect the router to the feed port on the hub it'll probably work like you want it to
>>
File: plugx (4).jpg (29KB, 388x252px) Image search: [Google]
plugx (4).jpg
29KB, 388x252px
is there a question here?

no utilities know or give a shit about because its behind the demarcation point.

you are looking at 4 twisted pairs of wires in a cable assembly, most commonly referred to as Ethernet cable, and some coaxial cable.

just use it already, or dont.
>>
They're point to point. See each RJ45 above each termination? Run a cable from each of those to your cable modem. Since your coax terminates in that panel as well, disconnect one of the coax connectors going to a room you don't need and feed your cable modem from that.
>>
File: i-4tvN7nj-L.jpg (71KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
i-4tvN7nj-L.jpg
71KB, 800x534px
>>1183362
Those things the cables are punched down to are called "patch panels". All they do is join a 110 block to an RJ45 connection, completely passive... no magic happens there.

Each cable in the box is the other side of the ones in the rooms. You're lucky the installer labelled shit.

Install a router/switch in the cabinet, use patch cables (short network cables) to go from the switch to the patch panels.

Can't really say what "feed" is though.

The coax splitter is just that - a splitter. Takes one line in from the cableco and splits it out to all the other terminals in the house.

Installing Cat5E/RG6U is probably the best investment i've made in this house. Having that wired infrastructure makes it real easy to deploy enterprise-grade wifi (that actually works, vs. the shit AP's in a typical consumer-grade "wifi router"), install network cameras, etc.
And obviously, TV's/desktops that can be wired, do get wired. GigE connection from that device to the switch, and frees up RF spectrum for those devices that need wifi.
>>
>>1183544
>Can't really say what "feed" is though
as per >>1183376 , figure that would run to a Cat5 jack beside wherever modem/router is mounted (cable service entry point?), cos, it sure aint in that box. Run a network cable from your router to this socket, probably then find, you've got network feed on all other connected room jacks, just need to plug a cable in. Cable testers maybe $15, maybe helpful - but, that install looks fairly pro, doubt youd really need it otherwise.
>>
File: i-LqC8MXD-L.jpg (117KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
i-LqC8MXD-L.jpg
117KB, 800x451px
>>1183548
Also kind of depends on what service the bldg has.

If there's a site-wide LAN, that may go to a switch for the apartment complex.
Could terminate at an ONT if you've got fiber service.
For cable/dsl service, I really don't know where the "feed" would be from, since you need a modem to go between service and your router... which should go in the cabinet.

Small chance it could be from the telco demarc. Don't know why they'd terminate that with an RJ45 though.
>>
>>1183552

DSL would come thru the telco panel though. I doubt that's it. I'd test it by just hooking up a laptop and seeing what's there. Likely it's just dead now unless the complex had some free internet at the time of building.
>>
File: etherkiller.jpg (27KB, 559x282px) Image search: [Google]
etherkiller.jpg
27KB, 559x282px
>>1183801
Right, which is why I said it was a small chance. And it'd probably be terminated with an RJ11/RJ12 connector rather than RJ45.
Not saying it's not possible though.

I wouldn't plug an unknown cable into a laptop, especially if there's a chance it could be carrying telephone/POTS voltages. Chase it down and figure out where it goes.
Or use >pic related and follow the smoke.
>>
>>1183548
There is no feed for the data jacks. The white ones are being used for phone lines, if you look at the 110 blocks for that you will find all the wires are in common. The feed comes in, and there is a switch built into the phone jack in there, if something is plugged in, it disconnects all the 110s from the feed so you can isolate trouble.

The blues are Ethernet and going to the patch panel. Just get a router and connect them all. If you have cable internet, take one of the ports on the splitter and use it. If you have dsl, put the modem in there and tie it into the telephone panel.
>>
>>1183828
Huh. No i guess it does say there is a feed for Ethernet. I guess it's supplied by the apartment. You just need a router then and plug wan into feed and patch cables to the other rooms you want to feed.
>>
Okay, you say you have cable internet, right? Put that in your office room, split in that room if you have TV as well. Server/firewall/whatever all go in your closet, might need a small switch here too, ethernet cable to the jack in this room. 2nd switch goes in the wiring cabinet, patched to each of those ethernet jacks except for feed, that goes nowhere in your unit. Done.
>>
Isn't "RJ45" actually 8P8C?
>>
>>1184444
Why wouldn't he just put the modem in the closet too? Then he's not at -20db from being behind an 8 way and two way splitter.
>>
>>1184465
Yeah, it'll depend on his network and what room the closet is in. If that is actually in that room, than it can be simplified to WAN interface to switch.

BTW, "feed" cat5 cable should be coming from the the building master panel by the telco demarc. I've seen tons of apartments with systems like these installed, and always with the data side completely unused.
>>
>>1184571
Probably just future-proofing.
Telco will usually bring fibre in where the existing demarc is, ONT splits that signal to the existing telephone wiring and an additional data and TV/RF connection.
>>
>>1184462
No.

RJ45 is the connector housing. 8P8C is what exact positions and connectors that housing has.
>>
>>1184579

fished in....

Actually, the sperglord is technically correct in a historical context, but since the RJ45S jack is long obsolete, laziness and tradition took over and now no one gives a shit.
>>
>>1184606
This. Unless someone has specifically called for a crossover cable, T1 cable (RJ-45C), or gigabit, you pull out a 100mbit/cat5e rated jack and wire it for t-568b on both ends because that is almost certainly what they wanted. (If they called for gigabit, the wiring is the same, you just need to use a gigabit rated plug/jack)
>>
>>1183498
Why would you link a diagram for crossover cable?
>>
>>1184579
i think this is actually exactly the opposite of what is what
8p8c is the physical empty connector before you wire it up
rjxxxxx is the scheme of how the wires are connected and what they do and shit
>>
>>1184695
568a on both sides is not a crossover, it's straight through.

568a and 568b on the same cable makes a crossover.

You need 568
>>
>>1183544
>not using cisco wireless

There is a level of pleb that's beyond /diy/ and you've reached it.
>>
>>1183544
OP here wow didnt expect to get so many replies.

I am very curious what "feed" is on the cat5. I wish the property management that owns my building wasnt so clueless
>>
>>1184775
>not using unifi
if you bin the cloud management bullshit and put some wrt linux on it its rock fucking solid man.
>>
>>1186177
Already told you, it's going to an auxiliary panel near the telco demarc, or more likely just hanging there ziptied to all the other Cat5 lines from each apartment.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.