[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sharpening

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 14

File: 17ijw9uyh9bwxjpg.jpg (76KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
17ijw9uyh9bwxjpg.jpg
76KB, 800x450px
/diy/ sharpening success stories
>>
I sharpened a knife. Then I went on with my day.
>>
>>1183338
but was it sharp enough to cut the falling silk without any movement
>>
>knife getting way too dull
>get a cheap honing steel
>it works more better now
>rinse before using so no metal flakes in my food
For sharpening my $30 stamped knife, should I get a 400/1000 wetstone? Or just use any old igneous rock?
>>
>mom has never sharpened knives in 20 years
>won't send them in for free pyramid scheme knife company sharpening
>because she doesn't want to be without them
>so dull they can crush a melon without breaking the skin
>>
>>1183369

Do you hav such fine rocks in proximity?
If they are not fine enough they'll just destroy the blade.
>>
>>1183369
you need 1000 or above to sharpen properly

400 is fine for initial jobs but you need to finish with 1000

otherwise ghetto tier finish
>>
File: sharp.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
sharp.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>1183329
Sharpening with free hand for normal kitchen knifes: cheap 3000/8000 wetstone + Lether/Cr2O3

And for self-defence / EDC-knifes I use only this set up to a 3000-8000Wetstone for resharpening
+0,3µ Cr2O3 on wood for the fixed angel.
Reason: clean edge without scratches and a sick double edge.

All stones+edge sharpener are the cheapest I can find. (50€)

I make a instable 13° angel and polish it, after this i take the 3000->8000 and make the tiny microedge with a 15° angel. So its more stable and you can strope/resharp very quick with less shortening the Knife or the stones. But just for my 1095 for selfdefence
>>
>>1183371
>mom can't sharpen knives
>dad can't sharpen knives
>son can't sharpen knives
What religion is that?
>>
>>1183411
Mom was single and I was too young to know about that stuff, and she wouldn't have let me sharpen the knives for fear of them being ruined. I could bounce them off my skin with great force and there would be no risk of blood.

I don't know what my dad does about his knives. I'm guessing he just hones them, if even that, and throws them out when they stop working. He's always been penny wise and pound foolish, buying stuff that works poorly until it breaks, if it's not so shit it doesn't get used enough to break.
>>
>>1183416
A cheap knife with a polished edge can rest more than 1year without being to dull.
Sorry but every man without a waterstone... but with a good knife is a big fag/looser

>>1183384
This is something really sick! Use a fixed wood to strop it. 10/10
The german dude from the EDC-thread,lol
>>
>>1183384
German autism at its finest.

Whatever keeps you out of Poland, I guess...
>>
File: EiQnGu3.png (948KB, 1023x576px) Image search: [Google]
EiQnGu3.png
948KB, 1023x576px
Some of Masaharu Morimoto's knives, all the same model. This is what twice daily sharpening for three years does to them.
>>
File: 28-943-6548-00.jpg (67KB, 702x702px) Image search: [Google]
28-943-6548-00.jpg
67KB, 702x702px
this is literally all you need
we use these on the fishing boat I work on, a couple of swishes through this and you can easily slice a pollock in half mid-air
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft93ncEBpGo

Is he doing it right?
>>
I would like to add though, that the real issue isn't the sharpener, it's the steel of the knife

fuck stainless steel, you try to sharpen a stainless steel knife you're going to have a bad time regardless of the sharpener, carbon or just regular steel is infinitely superior if you wanna have sharp, smooth knives
>>
>>1183436
When you grow up, you'll learn "good enough" is good enough for good enough people.
>>
>>1183436
I don't like high carbon knives because they break when used for prying stuff.
>>
>>1183439
Yes, my mom hate it when the knife is too sharp. Normal people do normal things.
>>
As a minimalist, I just buy a new ceramic knife every year. :^)
>>
>>1183445
Sorry, but you´re totaly wrong. The H-C-S under 60-61HRC (1075,1095) wont break. Why its called spring Steel?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXbqLLlAfl4

>>1183422
whats wrong with you when someone wants to optimize something? This is a 100% handmade knife for combat only. 152g,perfect handle for my hand and High-Carbon-Steel at 60HRC.
Only a silly one wouldnt try to make a nice edge because its very important.
-> DIY is the wrong place for you.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (147KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
147KB, 1280x720px
loewen messer is the best brand in the world
>>
>>1183454
what is this? a toothpick?
>>
>>1183425
they look dangerous
>>
File: np1.jpg (13KB, 550x281px) Image search: [Google]
np1.jpg
13KB, 550x281px
>>1183459
You're a big guy
>>
My kitchen shakes when the neighbor is using their dull knife :(
>>
I don't like guns, but are Glock knives any good?
>>
>>1183475
yes they are, but do you need something like this?
Its a mix of combat knife and survival knife.
If you want something really nice go and buy a Lionsteel knife with Niolox steal
>>
>>1183428
Price range on this?
Also the name?
>>
File: 400_WorldKitchen1046350.jpg (41KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
400_WorldKitchen1046350.jpg
41KB, 400x400px
>>1183329
I use this, it just works.
>>
>>1183495
it's like $100
bobet sharp easy
>>
File: 1491582474765m.jpg (44KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1491582474765m.jpg
44KB, 1024x576px
>>1183451
>handmade knife for combat only

Mama Merkel doesn't like it when you poke holes in her syrian children, anon. You're supposed to be as defenseless as possible.
>>
>>1183384
Any more pictures of the setup? I'm interested in duplicating it.
>>
>>1183371
I have friends like this. Absolutely refuse to ever sharpen a knife. Once every 2-3 years I take my gear and sharpen one knife at their house so I can have at least one good knife when I cook there. Yes, I often cook at friends houses. I like cooking, I'm a better cook, we often eat together.

I have another friend who has a large opinel that's always with him and he uses that when he cooks with friends.
>>
>>1183630
Fuck off and die.
>>
>>1183637
sure, i make some pics and the amazon links.
Why I use this and how follow later
>>1183630
Its not for this, just because I love military + stop posting this trash and go to /pol/ + /b/
/diy/ is the wrong place for this
>>
File: strope.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
strope.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>1183637
https://www.amazon.com/Sharpener-Professional-Sharpening-Fix-angle-III/dp/B015XKSNS2/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495886695&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=knife+sharpener+riuxin
This is my gear, the 4stones are bad, but you can make more then 6-8 new angels to expensive knives.
Just with the 1500stone my knife was able to shave my arm without stroping it.

For a razor edge you need the next stones/stroping wood , this stones are your resharpening stones,too/only!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013AOVF1U/ref=twister_B0155YE7A4?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
You need the red one (3000) and the grey(5000).
Now you need something to strope it. I use balsa[polish the bigger angel] wood and spruce(just some normal wood[no hard wood, for polish the microedge]. A harder wood can makes a microedge sharper then something than lether or balsa, because soft stuff makes the edge faster round -> long stroping takes the max. sharpnes away
For this you need the wood (you cant make it yourself, because contact with sandpaper... is bad, buy and cut it)
And some Chromium oxid, I cant find something like a powder only for knifes like in Germany so i think this is fine too.
Just melt 5-8drops down on the wood.
https://www.amazon.com/Green-Rouge-Polishing-Buffing-Compound/dp/B003K7U0J6/ref=pd_sbs_469_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003K7U0J6&pd_rd_r=6P87Z201SR503GQJJNNA&pd_rd_w=F24ND&pd_rd_wg=VKhxj&psc=1&refRID=6P87Z201SR503GQJJNNA

You can upgrade the gear until its perfect. I will but I have to wail 4weeks because Im not at home.
>>
>>1183699
I too once fell for the shiny edge meme

turns out mirror finishes has more friction than slight rough surface because of sticktion

so a microtextured edge of maybe 1000 to 2000 would actually be better in practical terms as well as ease of maintenance

TLDR: 2000+ is autistic for a knife
>>
File: edge.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
edge.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>1183637
After you made the normal edge( f.e. 13° like my) with the last 5000stone and polished to the limit you make the 2nd angel 2°higher and start with the 3000! 15times per site and than 5-7 with the 5000 per site. After this 20times with chainging sites. Now you need the harder wood and strope it 10times per site with less pressure. Razor is finished
>>
File: masterchef.jpg (68KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
masterchef.jpg
68KB, 600x338px
>>1183642
you can carry your own knives you know...
>>
>>1183705
I can cut a shirt without any force, but only with a polished edge that can split hair. Its for a 4mm knife, its to thick for cooking and i hate a platina on the knife.

I testet it once with meat, a mirrow edge is better for cutting fresh flesh with blood... but its bad for something like meat in the kitchen, yes the friction is a problem without somekind of lubricant ;)
>>
>>1183705
mirror finish would cut anything other than soft rubber like things. I guess you'd need a serrated fillet knife to cut a thick layer of soft rubber
>>
>>1183384
Dude, youre right! If its you´re EDC for selfdefence ONLY a mirror edge with razor blade is the best.
A fucking panic hit to the arm will fucking destroy everything !!!

But for a normal knife with normal steel/ for cooking its more than a Overkill
>>
>>1183711
interdasting. once I understand it I want to try it.
>>
>>1183468
4U
>>
If you are very serious about getting the sharpest edge that you can, I would suggest buying the "wicked edge" it's like a $250 sharpener, but it is well worth it. A crystal clear mirror edge that can whittle hair. Most of the kits on their website come with everything you need. The stones (goes to extremely high grits), your strops, and the harness itself. If you are a cheap mf like me, I would go with the lansky delux sharpening kit. It's about $50. I've used it for a while now and it does pretty ok if you know what you are doing. It's nothing compared to the wicked edge that I have used before.
>>
My mom is amazed my knives can slice a banana after freezing it. Hers haven't been sharpened for more than 20 years. Why do people live this way?
>>
>>1183712
>thatfilename.kek
>>
File: favstone (Large).jpg (85KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
favstone (Large).jpg
85KB, 1440x1080px
>>1184074
I find it amazing that people are happy using one of the most fundamental tools in the world in the worst possible condition. I'm old, and in a couple decades of visiting people maybe two had sort of sharp knives- and that was because they had a rudimentary kitchen sharpener.

Maybe I was just lucky with a country boy grandfather who showed me how to sharpen when I was about 6.

That said, I find all the wankage with 18 stones and jigs and imbedded strops and hours and hours of paper cutting you see on YT really dumb- but I suppose knife sharpening is some folk's hobby, so OK.

Pic related, one of my favorite stones.
>>
File: Kopfhaar.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Kopfhaar.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>1184071
My set cost about 50$ and I can make it sharper then a whittle hair (next step is instant cut a free hair). But the "wicked edge" is more comf to use.

This is a split hair, a knife that cant split ,because its to sharp is sharper.

Which sharpening angel do you use to splitt hair? I think >17° makes it imposible?
>>
>>1184096

what's your method?
>>
>>1184167

Just wondering, other than woodworking what's the point of having a blade that sharp? Even my sharpish pocketknife is good enough and I find many situations when I fuck around or graze myself slightly I'd rather not chop my fingers off. What are you cutting with these knives?
>>
File: blade.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
blade.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>1184200
hairspliting sparp is my minimum sharpnes for EDC. Its for selfdefence only because I have to live in a really bad hod.

Its for cutting denim and jackets and a few test show that every higher sharpnes grad makes a cut more easy (no problem at al)

And its a hobby, I love the knife, because its selfmade and I tryed to optimice it for combat
and I think it works really well for this. Training with a wood/lead knife + partner for skills.

I have a style that wont allow stabing to chest or head. Only arms and legs.

Can you help my to find a name for the blade?
Its a mix of normal tip and drop-point ?
>>
>>1184215
that blunt tip wont be any good for self defence

also its a clip point
>>
>>1184252
OK, but saying it wont good for selfdefnce need some arguments ?
If you mean stabbing, it does very well but yes more pointy is good but when the point is razorsharp it doesnt matter.

The flat point without clip-point gives no surface without a cutting edge, the later clip-point pushes agains the edge, but the penetration is all over at this point.
>>
>>1184263
Any knife is good:
https://books.google.de/books?id=VYJdLSVW7bMC&pg=RA2-PA43&lpg=RA2-PA43&dq=straight+back+knife+stabbing&source=bl&ots=XajBf8Nw7u&sig=m_Vo6owniRBP6gE_Z4c0pLs7VNo&hl=de&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjV-IirkJPUAhUJBMAKHYCeB_MQ6AEIYTAK#v=onepage&q=straight%20back%20knife%20stabbing&f=false
>>
>>1184371
Thx, I had to laught :)

No, Im not a NigNog just Biodeutsch
>>
>>1184183
Depends on the knife, but basically put an initial bevel with coarse stone a bit more than 10 degrees, and a secondary with a fine stone a bit less than 15 degrees. A jap knife will almost be flat against the stone, an axe will have more angle.

Coarse stone is usually a medium India (Norton), or Dia Sharp fine, for finishing a fine Arkansas like in the pic or at home I have an old Case 'Moon Stone' I got when I was a kid that's an early commercial very fine ceramic.

Maybe a bit of water on the diamond, otherwise dry. Clean the stones with a 3m kitchen sponge and scouring powder.

Once I've set the bevel on a knife I can get it from shiny blunt to shaving in a couple of minutes.

A knife as a tool should shave when sharp, but taking it 12 levels past that is silly unless that's your hobby; a kitchen knife will degrade from that in seconds, but if decent steel still shave after a full meal prep.

Like I said I'm kinda old, I also use a straight razor for the past 20 years (since I was in my early 20s). There too it's simple: touch up the edge on a 8000grit water stone once a year or so, strop before every shave, just leather, no abrasive. The razor geeks find this blasphemously lacking in complexity but the shave is good.

Razors have a built in angle guide, the spine, which lays flat on the stone when honing. I don't use a guide or jig for knives.
>>
>>1183341
Yes, what are you? A scrub?
With the right tools even a chimp can do it
>>
>>1183445
Almost took the bait
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.