[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

garage and shed storage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8

File: 51Ru4Y9ymSL._AC_US327_QL65_.jpg (23KB, 327x327px) Image search: [Google]
51Ru4Y9ymSL._AC_US327_QL65_.jpg
23KB, 327x327px
Trying to get my dad to organize the mess his garage and shed are in.

What do you guys uses for shelves and tool storage?

Debating on plastic shelves and maybe metal shelves for heavier stuff. I think he may have some strips with hooks for some tools that he never used.
>>
>>1183047
>what do u use for shelves

i use shelves
>>
I use whatever I've been able to get for cheap. Second-hand plastic & metal shelves from thrift stores, yard sales. Old steel filing cabinets, milk crates, etc.

I've made some wooden shelves, following Mattias Wandel's design, and they're holding up well.
>>
I have an entire wall covered in peg board and hooks. Its great to hang lawn tools up on. Or pretty much any tool with a handle.
>>
Most often used tools go on wall, outlining tools shape is a good idea to keep them in same spot. Otherwise after taking some down, you can easily forget what was where. Rest go to toolboxes or just some boxes with labels what is what.
Don't try to remember where is what, almost pointless. Labels, outlines, etc.
>>
>>1183047
use metal also look for spec how much you can load on them som meme brands go like 30 KG the sturdier ones go up to 200KG depends on your money
>>
File: bnk bed shelves.jpg (273KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
bnk bed shelves.jpg
273KB, 1440x1080px
>>1183047
Muscle Racks if they are on sale, otherwise I build my own.

https://youtu.be/ZKmtQiKgyFI

I used this for inspiration. Watch the whole thing first, I think he makes an error in process, but I don't recall. My shelf is 8' wide, 6'2" tall, and 2' deep. Cost about $60 and fits between my two sliding glass doors on the patio. the image uploaded is his.

My top shelp has T5 lighting and the shelf below it has an aquarium that was to be tied in for aquaponics. I ended up finding mice in and around my property and don't have a pet snake, So I converted the aquarium into a rodent penitentiary.
>>
>>1183047
My rooms are an overgrown library. I started with that thirty dollar pasteboard shelving with the wood grain image on the outermost layer.
Pretty much fell apart in front if me. What didn't break, bent. Not meant for weight.
Now I'm doing it right with sheet metal shelving by Edsal. Good results, might switch out the actual shelf boards. Weight is pretty much not an issue.
Between there I got some Plano plastic shelving. I wouldn't put too much weight on it, let it get as tall as in the pic, or allow too much pressure on any one spot on the shelf unit (which is thin and incompletely supported). It is reasonably strong and cheap.
>>
>>1183149
>Now I'm doing it right with sheet metal shelving by Edsal. Good results, might switch out the actual shelf boards. Weight is pretty much not an issue.
Have an Edsal shelf also. Pretty solid but the included boards are indeed junky. Some sort of particle board with a tendency to warp.

I really prefer to use toolboxes and cabinets for anything that can possibly fit in them, though. Closed storage is just way better than shelves.
>>
>>1183050
op agian
My dad has some random leftover planks wood. I think he also has metal legs for a workbench sans a big plank for a tabletop. I think I'm gonna put something together there to lift some plastic bins off the floor and have room for others underneath.

>>1183078
hmm. I wonder if the extra wood he has is enough for a small one of those.
>>
>>1183078
>Muscle Racks
Huh. Actually. I think my uncle had some in his basement. He's been gone a few years now. I think my aunt's been using them for lighter stuff. I wonder if we can get her some cheaper lighter ones and get those for heavier stuff.
>>
>>1183149
I had a bookshelf break in half when I was moving. A roommate left it to me when moving out and he got it off Craigslist. It was kinda wobbly anyway. Funny enough, the top part was sturdy as fuck. So I put it on top of a low bookshelf. I even installed an led light under the top lip [spoiler] to display my anime figures.
>>
>>1183047
Sell the shit you don't use.

I'd recommend against plastic racks. Cheap, sure... but they don't support a lot of weight. Metal ones aren't that much more expensive, they're sturdier, and will last a lot longer.

On-wall storage, I like the wire rack for lighter-weight stuff.
>>
File: i-nJ6mNqN-L.jpg (72KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
i-nJ6mNqN-L.jpg
72KB, 800x451px
>>1183549
fuck, hit submit too fast

I organize my gear on free-standing wire rack shelving. My next house I'm going to build a dedicated "gear room" and throw a bunch of this wire-rack shelving in, along with fans/etc. Just turn it into a giant mudroom.
>>
Yeah. The metal seems sturdier. Though for the shelves itself, is metal all the way or particle board better?

>>1183550
Oh shit. I think I might have seen some of those in the laundry room of my dad's house.
>>
File: emptyroom.jpg (45KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
emptyroom.jpg
45KB, 800x500px
Are plastic boxes the best way to utilize vertical storage space?
>>
>>1184092
naw. cardboard is better.
at least that's what my dad thought.
wonder why half his shit has collapsed and fallen over.
>>
>>1183993
particle can hold a lot but, thats a good question
i use it on one work table and i can lay on it and it still holds its like 1.5-2cm strong
but metal will survive if you spill somthing on it or water gots on it sure for long time are both kill
>>1184092
depends on what you want to store
i mostly go for plastic - its cheap, dont brake so easely like glass or dont die after getin weat
but i still use paper boxes for specific stuff, or wooden crates for heawy stuff like tools whitout
shaft or tiles
>>
>>1183078
Quality looking shelf anon 10/10 would stack stuff on
>>
File: flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg (126KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg
126KB, 900x900px
>>1183047
WHY ARE YOU MEDDLING IN ANOTHER MAN'S EMPIRE OF DIRT???
>>
File: 13892293.jpg (48KB, 520x520px) Image search: [Google]
13892293.jpg
48KB, 520x520px
>>1183993
Both of those are shit. I've tried both.
The metal ones are cheap as fuck, and rickety as fuck. Just flimsy in general.
The particle board ones are a little sturdier metal, but ... fucking particle board. If it gets a little wet, they're fucking done. If you overload it, they're fucking done.

Go for the wire rack stuff like >pic related.
About $50 for the 5-shelf 6-ft ones at target/walmart/home depot. They're durable, strong, and don't fall apart.
>>
>>1183047
>What do you guys uses for shelves and tool storage?
Shelves made of 2x4 or whatever. Boxes made of plastic or cardboard. Label EVERYTHING.
>>
File: getting there.jpg (229KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
getting there.jpg
229KB, 1440x1080px
mainly structural pine for shelves i like the brought ones when they are cheap. small mezzanines are nice where possible. going with the 65 litre storage box method works alright depending on what your doing
>>
>>1183047
if you can afford the heavy duty metal shelving systems then great, if you need to do this more economically then I saw build the shelves with 2X4 and plywood. find some that people are throwing away, construction dumpsters, listed as free on craigslist etc. you don't have to buy all your wood. there is so much that people throw away or give away.
I recently got a whole SUV load of free wood (2X12s and 1X12s) for shelving from craigslist. trucked it home and re-cut it and made shelves that fit in my k i d s room. nuthin better then FREE!
>>
>>1184919
Well, he is old and has back problems and can't really clean the shit himself. Not that he did in the past 30 years before he had back problems and my mom asked him to clean up. I am finding old shit from the 80s in some spots
>>
>>1184923
Huh. And here I was thinking those were cheaper. Got a couple in the laundry rokm and even one in the kitchen.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.