[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Overbuilding a platform

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: platform.jpg (83KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
platform.jpg
83KB, 736x552px
A while ago I started a thread asking about pouring a concrete base
I got a cold shower of information so the plan changed
I'll build a deck/platform
A few inches off the ground, relatively rectangular shape, approx. 12x15 in size
One side bolted to the house's concrete foundation
One side connected somehow to the already existing deck
One side (opposite to the house) against a small slope (I'll need some digging for that)
One side (opposite to the deck) suspended a bit above ground

The platform will have a small shed on it and will see foot traffic from the lawn to the deck and back
In the shed I'll have some small machines (push lawnmower, small snow blower, power-washer etc etc) and some tools. Depending on the size, maybe some bikes, maybe a scooter.
I don't plan to put anything too heavy on it (first of all, it's not that accessible to anything but foot traffic)

The plan is to build the frame (circumference) out of 6x6 and maybe use some more in the middle.
I've seen youtube videos where people use 2x10s as a ledger board to anchor the deck to the house

Am I overbuilding it?
Are there any pluses in overbuilding it?
>>
>>1183024
I gotta ask. Is your name R.P.?
>>
what's the point of bolting it to the foundation? that's a shitload of work. just put it on top of some concrete handiblocks. it isn't going anywhere
>>
>>1183032
There are many regions in north america where it is code that it must be not only anchored to the concrete but there must also even be a steel cable fastened between the concrete and the shed.
>>
>>1183024
>6x6
what the fuck
>overbuilding
with no information about spacing its impossible to say, look up joist span tables and take it from there.
>One side bolted to the house's concrete foundation
>One side connected somehow to the already existing deck
sounds like a ballache, i would just plant it why does it have to be anchored?
>>
>Am I overbuilding it?
Yes.
>Are there any pluses in overbuilding it?
No, you're wasting money. Are you rich? then do whatever you want. If not, build it out of maybe 2x6. 6x6? what the fuck were you thinking?
>>
OP here

>>1183031
no
I took the picture from google images if that gave you a hint about the name ...

>>1183032
I have two decks
one built (probably) when the house was built (84)
the second, last year
both anchored
one with 2x10s, the other with 6x6s
I probably have some kind of OCD when it comes to strength
When I built some shelves for my kids rooms, I used 2x4 going through the wall anchored to the studs for support and 2x12s as the shelf itself
they are strong enough that they can hold me (180lbs)

>>1183037
searching joist span tables (just guessing here) I found what I should use in the middle (and how close to one another)
my question was about the frame/perimeter

>>1183048
I'm not (really) rich, but the difference in price is not that big
When I built the deck (see above), going from 4x4s to 6x6s increased the price by less than 10% totally worth it in my weird kind of thinking even though I know very well that I'll never put anything on it that would need the "upgrade"
Also, I get a good feeling when I walk on something that doesn't shake at every step
>>
File: 1495740574353.jpg (41KB, 525x423px) Image search: [Google]
1495740574353.jpg
41KB, 525x423px
...the fuck?
>>
>>1183140
I said I took it off google images
I think it was among the first
I needed a somehow related picture ...
>>
In these parts anything anchored to structure has to be permitted. Not so if it's free standing.
>>1183032 has the right idea. Plus no chance of unwanted water intrusion because you fucked it up.
>>
File: Platform.png (41KB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
Platform.png
41KB, 2016x1512px
>>1183024

>>1183024

Carpenterfag here, any part of the platform over the ground should have posts anchored into concrete footings, usually this is a sonotube at least four feet deep, if using 6x6 as a post usually code requires a 16 inch diameter tubes, 4x4's should have 12 inch tubes.
The ledger(part against the structure) should be attached appropriately, using either red head anchors into concrete or lag bolts/ledger locks into wood at 16 spacing, staggered top and bottom.
If you are not doing this legally, as in getting permits, i would suggest doing no more that seven foot spacing on your posts holding the platform up over the ground, if your floor joists are running in the 12 foot direction 2x10's at 16 in spacing would be fine, if they are in the 15 foot direction then you would need to go 12 in spacing.
The part of your platform that is parallel with the house should have a girder made of either 2 2x10's if the 12ft side or 3 2x10s if the 15 ft side, you can either does this flush, meaning at the end of your joists, or drop, meaning underneath your joists, no more than 2ft back from the end.
Any floor joists will need joist hangars on both ends, you nail them on with 10d teco nails.

As far as overbuilding, what I have laid out for you is over built and will meet and exceed the IRC but you should check your local codes(do a google search). 6x6's are a waste of money for a project like this, unless you happen to have a large amount laying around.
>>
>>1183032
Yeah it will goes somewhere. Handiblocks are a joke.
>>
>>1183218

Bullshit. I built a 12x12 platform with just 2x4 16" OC sitting on 4x4 PT skids 3 years ago. Screwed some 3/8 ply and painted it for weather. Then had about 20 people dance on top of it. Hasn't flown away yet and I'm too lazy to move it. all these so-called carpenters are just looking to extract money from your wallet by overbuilding everything.
no one answered why exactly you need to bolt a platform a few inches off the ground to your foundation. To me taking a fucking roto hammer or w/e to your foundation sounds like a real bad fucking idea..
>>
>>1183225

Why bolt it to your house? For one, the international residential code requires it. Also it is to prevent the deck from moving due to either ground subsidence or wind force. You need to have at least 4 ft of verticle footing to prevent movement from frost, otherwise every winter your shit will move up and down, loosening your fasteners. As far as trying to cheat the guy out of money, #1 I'm not building it so how am I making money off it and #2 OP wanted to over build it out of 6x6 which is way more expensive than 2x10.
TL:DR your a dumb cunt with no building knowledge trying to get someone to build something doomed to fail
>>
>>1183324
>Why bolt it to your house? For one, the international residential code requires it.

No it doesn't. That doesn't even make sense.

>You need to have at least 4 ft of verticle footing to prevent movement from frost,

That is also bullshit, footing depth is dependent on location. There is a big difference in from depth from Yuma, Arizona to Barrow, Alaska
>>
>>1183140
it's called bad decor
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.