[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Used Motor Oil

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1465829910888.jpg (35KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1465829910888.jpg
35KB, 640x360px
>>17257836

There was a thread on /o/ about different uses for our used motor oil, and I've never really thought about how versatile this stuff could be.

I'm sure you guys over here have some interesting uses for it.
>>
>>1182950
Furnace
>>
I use a gravity filter with cotton rope medium to clean used oil. Does about a gallon a month using no power or input from me.
>>
>>1182954
Oil breaks down on a molecular level reducing its ability to properly lubricate and cool your engines. Reusing filtered oil may not be a very good idea, but having it for emergencies, like needing to top off your reserves because of a sudden serious engine problem while on vacation may save the day.

>>1182950
google
>>
I use a small amount on tools and mechanical devices. Great for preservation and easy assembly. Also when cutting metal. But yeah you will likely never come close to using half of your oil this way.

>>1183063

alot of car dealers will offer a few bucks off to use filtered oil. And people do it.

They literally pay ~2x what a normal shop will charge you to change your oil, to give you the last idiots oil.
>>
>>1183063
Run your diesel om it
>>
>>1183494
>alot of car dealers will offer a few bucks off to use filtered oil.

Citation needed. "Dealers" in the US sell factory recommended, and often branded, lubricants. I've been wrenching since 1978 (aircraft, autos, motorcycles, industrial maintenance) and have never heard of anything other than rerefining used oil which is part of normal recycling.
>>
>>1183531
Only if you hate your injection pump and injectors.

Just off the shit or get a waste oil heater. If you heat treat you can save a bucket for a quenching tank.
>>
I've heard of Gypsies offering to re-seal your driveway for real cheap. They slather on a bunch of used motor oil & the jokes on you the first time it rains.
>>
We used to put it on tyres as a form of tyre shine, worked well.

Used it to lube ratchets and other tools also.
>>
>>1182950
If you are putting in fence posts then use the oil to treat the bottom of the posts.

Just leave the post soaking in the oil for a few days.

Helps prevent them rotting
>>
Used to melt beer cans with it till i found out u get cancer and die. Now i just use a 55 gallon drum to start fires...
>>
>>1182950
>There was a thread on /o/ about different uses for our used motor oil, and I've never really thought about how versatile this stuff could be.
I did read that (archived) thread of yours and it was full of shitposting and bickering.
>>
>>1182950
novice blacksmith here. I use it for quenching, rust inhibiting all of my tools, rot inhibiting all my wooden tool handles, wiping down my anvil, and in a pinch it makes for oily rags to start fires with.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.