[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sound dampening.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: ocarina_support_2.jpg (180KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
ocarina_support_2.jpg
180KB, 800x533px
So a while ago i picked up a nice ocarina from a Songbird booth at a convention that i wanted to learn how to play on, but in my excitement i forgot that i lived in apartments with paper thin walls.

I've decided that while it has looked nice on my shelf for the past year i actually want to learn to play it but i still live in apartments and need something to dampen the sound otherwise i might get hit with noise complaints.

I'd like to make some kind of fold away sound dampening booth since i dont have room to set up a dedicated space, every tutorial i've found is only for making your recording environment better, but i need something to block the high pitched shrill sounds of a novice ocarina player from making my upstairs neighbours hate me.

Any advice?
>>
Plug the sound holes.
>>
>>1182176
>noise complaints

sure if youre practicing at 10pm till morning on a weekday.

check your local laws im pretty sure you can make as much fucking noise as you like during the day.

thats my offer, take it or leave
>>
>>1182184
The owners here can be very quick to kick people out and the only reason we've managed to live here so long is because we've been pretty good neighbors, i don't want to ruin that.

Also i just don't want to be an asshole.
>>
This is for car audio, but it might apply here: https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products/mass-loaded-vinyl-mlv

Found this too: https://acousticalsolutions.com/soundproofing-an-apartment-non-invasive-fixes-for-quieter-renting/

Cheaper mlv, have to buy a lot though: https://acousticalsolutions.com/product/audioseal-sound-barrier/?attribute_pa_size=54-x-15&utm_campaign=Shopping_-_Main&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_content=All_Products&utm_term=&_vsrefdom=p.4382.c.85334&keyword=p.4382.d2c664c4-6c84-4b6f-be87-424e1507705c.pg895270&gclid=CjwKEAjw3pTJBRChgZ3e7s_YhAkSJAASG9Vr5hyeIM13fh1eUAVJHRUT5LjLY5FpijMXfdN65YifERoC0yzw_wcB

Also, if you search "sound deadening" you should get more results.
>>
F O A M W A L LS
>>
>>1182195
Does it say in your lease that they can arbitrarily kick you out whenever they please? That's a shitty fucking lease
>>
>>1182226
Most leases convert to month to month after the initial year. In such a scenario, a landlord can just give you a month notice to get out.
>>
>>1182195
do you panic when you have to use the blender or when the microwave hits 00:01

"man fuck that guy trying to learn an instrument, how much of an asshole can you be"

seriously, dude, you sound like a beaten dog. but i mean fair enough, at the risk of being homeless i guess.
>>
>>1182238
The only thing worse than a loud, noisy neighbor is a loud, noisy neighbor who is dreadful with their instrument.

You seem to be arguing "muh rights muh freedoms" but what about the freedom to be undisturbed in your own home? To study unmolested? To sleep in much-needed peace because you switched to night-shift and still need to adjust to the new schedule?

So yes, playing an instrument where it will annoy others is being an asshole.

At the very least OP should /talk/ to his neighbors and ask them if there is a time of day when poorly renditioned Zelda tunes won't be a bother.
Failing that he should go outside and practice in a park or something.
>>
>>1182242
did i tell him to tell his neighbor to fuck off if he comes and asks him to keep it down, or play at a later time?

>You seem to be arguing "muh rights muh freedoms"
it's not an argument.

>So yes, playing an instrument where it will annoy others is being an asshole.
no shit.
>>
>>1182238
You've probably never heard a sour note on an ocarina, shit is loud and shrill.

>>1182226
Our apartments was purged of drug dealers and users before we moved in so they're quick to kick anyone out who violate the code of conduct. They overlook stuff like internet cables strung along the walls, furniture next to windows, and the fact that our cat isn't considered a therapy animal anymore, and so on because we've been exceptionally good people.
>>
File: IMAG0302.jpg (1012KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0302.jpg
1012KB, 1836x3264px
>>1182176
>Use a big cardboard box
>line inside with sound deadening foam
>led lighting inside
>cut hole in the bottom to put yourself in
>paint outside black so it looks professional
>>
Why not go outside to practice?
>>
>>1182176
Go the fuck outdoors with that obnoxious shit.
>>
>>1184795
>go somewhere it's even more obnoxious
Here's a better solution.
STOP RENTING APARTMENTS AND RENT A HOUSE.
>>
or buy a house
>>
>>1184835
I cant, i spent all of my money on avocado toast.
>>
>>1182176
Go outside and play. Look like a dum dum. It'll make it all the better when you figure out how to actually play the thing.
>>
>>1183319
10/10
>>
>make a big box with 5 sides
>coat it on the inside with some sound dampening material (I'm not an acoustics engineer so I don't know what's best)
>hang box from the ceiling in a comfortable height, with the hole facing down
>stick your head up in there and play your flute
>>
>>1184986
fuck, someone else already got the same idea>>1183319
I thought I was being original ;_;
>>
just go ride epona and get a practice in kakariko forest.
Don't forget you master sword though.
>>
>>1185081
Come on Anon, im sure you could have fit a few more references in there.
>>
File: photo_preview_medium.jpg (6KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
photo_preview_medium.jpg
6KB, 200x150px
was going to ask this in /3dpg/ but this thread may be more appropriate

I 3d printed a small 5 hole teardrop ocarina. It plays surprisingly well.
I plan to make a much larger potato style ocarina later but I'm practicing with the small for now. Since it's small the sound is kinda high pitched. If I scale the size up 200% larger, that'd make it sound deeper but I want to know would it effect the notes at all? Would A still be A and would G still be G and stuff?
Sorry if this question is dumb. I don't know much about music theory.
>>
File: hqdefault (2).jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (2).jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>1185506
Ocarinas made out of clay are tuned before being fired by adding or removing clay around the finger holes to get the right note.

You might have to do multiple prints or mess around with a hot knife to get the right notes.
>>
>>1182195
Send a letter to each adjacent neighbor, asking them to call if the noise is a bother at all. Apartment dwellers are pretty numb to stuff since they mostly just blast their tv when they're home.
>>
>>1183319
I loled picture saved.
>>
>>1182207
Foam stops echo, but does very little for blocking noise.
>>
>>1185567
>Get letter
>Its from down the hall
>neighbor bought some geek flute and wants to play
>God why did i fight for this country?
>locks n loads
>unloads my heads watermelon mist onto scratched hardwood floor
>tfw they said refinishing hardwood took hours
>>
>>1185581

https://www.reddit.com/r/GunsAreCool/
>>
>>1185581
>geek flute
>>
>>1182176
Get a shipping container, fill it with egg cartons, then bury it.
It'll take a crane to get it out
>>
>>1183319
Saved
>>
>>1182176
what you want for high frequency noise is a porous damper, mount it at such distance (1/4 wavelengths) from the wall behind it that the sound waves enter its pores head on. You need an openly porous material e.g. not styrofoam

just had a course on this shit
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.