[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Importance Of Shade

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

File: shade.jpg (78KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
shade.jpg
78KB, 600x400px
Just stepped out for a smoke and noticed my neighbor’s AC is running, yet according to the Weather Channel, it’s currently 67* outside (metro Detroit ‘burbs here).

But then the neighbors don’t have a single tree on their property and their house has been in the sun all day long, while I’ve got a few large old trees (two maples, a pine and a locust) in my yard that keep my house shaded throughout most of the day and even on actual hot days in the summer, my AC usually doesn’t kick on until the afternoon.

Shade: something to consider when buying a house.
>>
>Shade: something to consider when buying a house.

Defensible fire space, something to consider when shitposting
>>
File: cool shade under tree.jpg (178KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
cool shade under tree.jpg
178KB, 960x640px
>>1182036

It's a valid diy topic and the savings on the electric bill can be substantial.

The neighbors on the other side of my other neighbors, cut down all their trees last fall (like morons...) and I'm guessing my next-door neighbor is going to see a large spike in his electric bill this summer, as most of the shade was on his house/yard.

Also trees help a bit in the winter, by slowing down the wind and decreasing heating costs.
>>
>>1182022

>67 outside
>AC on

your neighbors are growing weed. the grow lights are heating up the house so they need to run the AC to offset that

report them
>>
File: marijuana-map.jpg (382KB, 751x628px) Image search: [Google]
marijuana-map.jpg
382KB, 751x628px
>>1182064
>your neighbors are growing weed.

No, I'd smell it if they were.

>report them

If they are, presumably they've got a license, as it's legal here in Michigan.
>>
File: Collage 2017-05-25 11_42_49.jpg (840KB, 1080x1752px) Image search: [Google]
Collage 2017-05-25 11_42_49.jpg
840KB, 1080x1752px
>>1182022
HAVING GODDAMNED MONKEY TREES ON MY PROPERTY ANYWHERE. EVER...

REEEEEEEEEEEEE.

There is also a tree on my fucking 2000 blazer i jidt paud some cumocksucking rapist $3,200 to put a new motor in. 50 miles on it.

No pics.

Dont even have the stomache to look at it right now...

Fuck shade.

Buy a commercial central heat and air unit and foot the bill.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170510-191307.png (3MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170510-191307.png
3MB, 1080x1920px
>>1182036
Also never buy a fucking house until u see it in a fucking downpour....
>>
File: 20170516_162415.png (3MB, 1080x1191px) Image search: [Google]
20170516_162415.png
3MB, 1080x1191px
>>1182022
Wife had a pic. I repeat.

111124443333.5% FUCK TREES
>>
>>1182047
>Also trees help a bit in the winter, by slowing down the wind and decreasing heating costs.
I think that effect is almost negliable. And you'll also get less sunlight during winter even when the trees are bald
>>
>>1182974
This is predictable in most cases. Just look at the fucking tree and branches for rot/weak points.
>>
>>1182975
Not him but it can be significant if evergreens are planted on whichever side of the house receives the most wind. Or just on the north side, since it gets the least light and evergreens should be fine with that.

It depends a lot on where you live of course. I'm sure it wouldn't do a thing in, say, Miami.
>>
I don't think i would want a multi ton wood power hammer that close to the house. The roots will probe and destroy the foundation and any piping.

Large leaf bushes would be better with trees further out. Something like bamboo would work close up if you manage the runners
>>
>>1182972
>literal garbage all over the yard
>blames trees
>>
I had great success with keeping the outside walls wet with sprinklers.
>>
>>1182022
If shade is near your house etc. you would have no light to grow food on your property unless you have a lot of land growing your own food is far more important than staying "comfy"
>>
>>1182022
Fucking contemplating about where your neighbors fucked while smoking. Get your life in order before you start sowing oaks.
>>
>>1183025
What if they're edible trees, like maples or spruces?
>>
Ac's just heat up the atmosphere.
>>
>all these tree cutter cucks
>>
>>1182074
They are not dumb, they lock the air in
>>
generally basements are rather cold even in sunny days, so can't you circulate water in house from basement to higher floors?
>>
File: 1492401097467.png (444KB, 673x571px) Image search: [Google]
1492401097467.png
444KB, 673x571px
My trees make all the difference. 1 Chinese elm gives enough shade that I've only run the AC for 1 or 2 weeks out of the year, not including the occasional evaporative cooler use.
>>
>>1183034
Out of all the tree edibles you chose those two?

Not apples

Not walnuts

Maple and spruce. You have to be a leaf
>>
>>1183034
>edible trees, like maples or spruces
Or apples, plums, apricots, cherries, oranges, lemons, limes, kumquats, grapefruits, guava, figs, mangoes, lychees, bananas, olives, peaches, pears, nashis, bay trees, nectarines, almonds, cashews, walnuts, avacados, mandarins or pomegranates.

Also how do you eat spruce?
>>
>buying house in summer is desert
>lively 4 trees in june
>process takes 3 months
>end of summer
>2 dead trees, 1 clawing onto life tree, and 1 lively tree.
>I'll give them the winter to see who recovers
>may 1 year later, same situation

Toppled a 12 year old mesquite tree last weekend. Got the 2 others left. Need to dig out my foundation to see if the forth healthy tree needs to go. I'm seeing some hairline cracks in my exterior wall only near the tree. Will be sad to see it go. Looks to be as old as the house (70+ years).
>>
>>1182022
Metro detroit home owner here. My ac is running all the fucking time. Im living with my buddy while i fix up the house so im only there a couple hours a night if i work that day. No fucking idea why. I went there on the day you posted this and it was 62 inside and the ac was on, set to 70.
>>
>>1183022
That's clearly storm damage, and even if it wasn't, a tree falling on your shit is more an act of god than anything else, unless he was stupid enough to dump chemicals near the roots.
>>
>>1182022
I in the AC all year long to keep my plants cozy.
>Maybe your neighbor is a weed farmer?
>>
>>1182972
That tree looks like it's been dead for at least 1-2 years ( peeling bark ). You should have had it removed as soon as it died to prevent it from falling.
>>
>>1182022

Its more importent then that even, Its great for the soil cause the tree roots go down so deep and pull up nutrients for other plants and make great worm food which builds the soil even more. Some even say sufficiently dense forest can even pull water from down below causing a spring to be produces, of course this is a theory from Viktor Schauberger.

>>1182036
I never understood this "defensible fire space" bull shite where people get rid of the trees AROUND there house, Why not just have a defensible fire space around your trees that are around your house?

>>1182074

They most likly have a activated charcoal air filter, then they can pipe it out of the house.

>>1182974

Improper tree care, need to trim them so the wieght makes them fall, when they fall, into empty space.

>>1183182

"act of God" I'm sure you mean "Not trimming trees before winter comes".
>>
>>1183132
>eat spruce
Pine nuts, perhaps...
>>
>>1183847
>>1183132
The needles and resin have seen many culinary applications. Spruce chewing gum was once common.
>>
>>1182022
>have nice shade tree in back yard
>tfw my nice big tree in the back yard is going to die soon and my back yard is going to be a barren scorched hell hole like my front yard
>tfw it takes 100 years to replace these fucking things
>tfw the city isnt going to let me build a 100 foot plywood abomination to replace my shade tree
>>
>>1183132
you can eat the shoots. kinda like bamboo.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.