[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice on african-tier tractors?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: 1.jpg (35KB, 480x271px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
35KB, 480x271px
I want to buy an old tractor like pic related to turn my parents jungle ass looking lot into a homestead. What should I watch out for?
Is it a difficult DIY project to refurbish and use one of these?

>Massey Ferguson MF-35
>>
File: 2.jpg (34KB, 480x271px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
34KB, 480x271px
Ad says the front loader has a leaky nozzle and cyliner, other than that everything works fine. It just looks like shit.
>>
It would pay to state your general location because local advice is always relevant.

Also that rear tyre is on the wrong way around.
>>
>>1181451
Spares are always a shit and expensive.
Hydraulics though will send you insane and broke
>>
>>1181451
Check out the open source stuff like LifeTrac and LifeCat,

http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/LifeTrac
http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/LifeCat_1.0
>>
>>1181462
Adding to this Anon, who is correct, it would also help to know if it's just overgrown bushhog tier, or if you'll need to grub out trees and shrubs, fill in ditches, etc. Rural or city/suburbs as well.
>>
What do you mean refurbish?
Like cosmetically? Who gives a fuck as long as it works.
>>
>>1181492
Folks who collect tractors, that's who. There's nothing wrong with restoring old tractors. Especially if it means it does another 60 years of work.
>>
>>1181451
>african tier

lol, nigga these machines were made from freshly smelted american steel and over engineered like a motherfucker. there is a reason tractors retain their value longer than cars from the same era.

stay the fuck away from anything that has these nig rigged FEL attachments. if you really need a backhoe, get a backhoe.

with that being said, get a Ford N series. almost half the ones made back in the 30's and 40's are still in use today. they are a bit anemic in terms of power, but are nigh indestructible and surprisingly still have people making parts for them at a reasonable cost.

you can clear and grub some small acreage with just a few 3 point attachments.
>>
File: IMG_0189.jpg (2MB, 1959x2612px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0189.jpg
2MB, 1959x2612px
>>1181451
what's your budget? if you're going really old(up to the 80s) i highly suggest looking for a John Deere as parts are still pretty available from dealers. none of the other companies support old shit like JD does and many have been dropping parts left and right especially Case IH

old International tractors are very fucking solid and can be found pretty cheap but again Case IH has been dropping parts on them like crazy. there's quite a bit available aftermarket and there's also salvage yards but if you have to go through the dealer you could end up being fucked

bottom line with tractors is parts parts parts, if you can't get parts you're fucked so always check part availability on the model you're looking at before buying
>>
>>1181451
Yeah. Location needs to be known. As then you know is it going to be a valtra or Volvo or Nuffield.

I am in the process of building and was deciding on what machine to buy. Eventually I settled on a 23ton tracked excavator. It is a versatile tool as it can load/unload easily, lift stuff and move heavy objects. It can't pull a trailer which sucks. But obviously it excels at digging!
I still feel I made the right decision.
>>
Alice chalmers from the late 40's early 50's do amazing for hard labor, and can have some things easily converted into something that runs on a bit more modern accsessory wise.
>>
>>1181451
For just one lot, lease one. You will spend more time and money on messing with the machine than doing work. Parts can be a nightmare.
one hydraulic hose can easily cost $300 to replace. Engine trouble can turn it into a lawn ornament for 2 months, even if you are a rich mechanic with a complete toolset.

It is a cute backhoe, I have spent a lot of time on slightly more modern ones.
>>
>>1181705
It's about 3 acres and I'm considering to lease about 6 acres of land on both sides of the lot if I am allowed
>>1181611
>>1181462
Location is Norway
>>1181465
Yeah this is the most off putting part about it all, consider just dropping it
>>1181482
Rural island, will have to dig ditches, plane some soil but mostly plow up turf and remove rocks
>>
>>1181506
This.
My grandfather had three ford 8N "red bellies" he bought, restored and used on his property for over 30 years.
>>
>>1181453
Cylinder rebuild gonna cost u. And if the cylinder is fuck rusty or scarred rip wallet. Need a replacement, rebuikd monthly, or a tanker truck of hydraulic fluid. 20 weigh.
>>
>>1181710
Sorry OP, this lets me out. All I know about Norway for sure is that it's full of Norwegians, who probably speak Norwegian. Pretty sure a major city there is Oslo. That's about all. Sorry. In the States you could rent a tractor, or find a guy with one and pay him to do the work for you, if you aren't going to farm the land and have ongoing need of the equipment.
>>
>>1181786
Cylinders aren't that bad to rebuild. Hell I've done 6 this year and even having a shop do it(no time to do it myself) it was something like $450. Replacing can be expensive tho, replaced 4 rephasing cylinders that cost me just shy of $2000. Those cylinders were brand specific though so Case IH was able to stick a nice big cock up my ass

As for hydraulic lines they are hit and miss. If it's just a generic line with generic fittings they are cheap enough but if there's any part of it that's special you're gonna get fucked. Most lines will be generic so not really a big deal. Generally only going to run into special lines on the tractor itself and not usually on attachments
>>
>>1181710
>Location is Norway
You could check out the maskinisten.net forum. It used to be an åkerman-forum but did grow out to be an excellent forum for machine-crazy. From there you will find local advice. I believe you can read Swedish and norrmän writes often in Norwegian there.
Start a thread about "Jeg skulle vilje kope troktor" or however fuck you write it in Norwegian.
>>
>>1182852
Heh.
This board accepts åäö but not the Norwegian versions.
>>
>>1182532
I see.

Well, im a redneck with a yard full of mowers and shit. So brand specific can suck my dick. I will mount wtf ever i want and build my own hoses.

Good to know rebuilds are easy. Never been in one.
>>
>>1181451
So you are from norway and dont know that your neighbor sweden has made a shitloade of Great tractors with shitloade of parts (especially in scandinavia)
>>
>>1182933
Problem is some shit won't work right without the right cylinders which is what I ran into. It was a set of disc harrows I bought, someone had replaced the cylinders but didn't use the right ones so nothing worked right. I bought them cheap enough it wasn't a big deal but would have been nice without the extra expense

Rebuilding is pretty easy. Just need a seal kit then the cylinders come apart by removing snap rings and unscrewing the end or some are just bolted together. Biggest thing is making sure you put them back together right
>>
>>1181467
That is one shit tractor. air cooled underpowered overheating engines and hydraulic motors directly coupled to the wheels. a 1930's doodlebug would be better than that.
>>
>>1181451
Best advice is reading heavily on real tractor forums. This isn't one of those.

Tractors can instantly turn into hideous money toilets. They also spend most of their working life sitting. I'm a mechanic with more than enough equipment to work on tractors, repair worn bushings, refurb hydraulic cylinders and do weld repair or even complete bucket fab.

Fuck that. I rent as needed then hand the shit back when done. There are very good reasons construction companies rent equipment from Sunbelt and other outfits rather than tie up much more money in a tractor-shaped object.

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/

http://www.mytractorforum.com/184-massey-ferguson/

If that old beast is CHEAP (check trade papers and Craigslist for local comparos) and you test EVERY function and see it run from a COLD start then have at it if you wanna.

If you have a large cylinder bore needing cleanup you can use a cylinder ball hone. I did that with my Century wrecker lift cylinder before rebuilding. If the bore is scored, then check your repair and replacement parts options for that particular cylinder. Generic cylinders are available which may adapt to your machine.

It all comes down to dollars per job. Calculate before making a choice cuz it's your wallet, not mine.
>>
>>1181451
>african-tier tractors
just keep them fed, watered and apply beatings as appropriate to discourage free thought.
>>
>>1184372
go back to /b/
>>
>>1184404
show me your fun-police badge first.
>>
>>1181611
You can pull/push the trailer along with the bucket just fine.
>>
>>1184370
>spend most of their working life sitting
that's true for most things though. also fully depends on the tractor and what it's been used for. around here utility tractors get used daily while something for tillage or planting really only see use during spring and fall

either way when it comes to old tractors parts availability is the biggest issue if you actually plan to use the thing. best bet is to buy something from the 80s or newer which could still end up requiring a lot of money but at least you'll actually be able to get the parts
>>
>>1184517
That's true. I'm planning on welding a linkage on the machine so that I could pull shit with it.
>>
File: Trktr.png (3MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Trktr.png
3MB, 1440x2560px
>>1181451
I mow every week with a '53 ford jube.
For heavy duty use I would not recommend an antique tractor. While it's true they are well built and simple to work on, but it's still old.
Also what>>1181506 said, those old front end attachments suck, and hard on pumps.
Plan everything out ahead of time and rent. A modern garden tractor can do a lot of work, or a hired back hoe can do it faster.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.