[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mold!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: 1.jpg (40KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
40KB, 640x480px
Got directed here from /adv/.

We've recently had an issue where the apartment above mine was leaking water down into my kitchen. I thought nothing of it once it was fixed, but just now discovered this mold in a rarely use area of that room.

Can /diy/identify what kind of mold this might be?

Is this a dangerous?

How should I proceed?
>>
File: 2.jpg (27KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
27KB, 640x480px
>>
File: 3.jpg (64KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
64KB, 640x480px
>>
If it's an apartment contact your landlord.
>>
>>1180829

I mean, that's a given. But until I get a response, should I seal it off
>>
>>1180832
I don't know that I would go to the effort, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt.
>>
>>1180821
Get out of that room.
Close the door.
Get plastic that is the size of the door frame.
Tape the plastic on to close off the area.
Call your landlord.
Sleep in your car.
Wait 5 to 6 weeks.
Call him/her again.
Repeat.
>>
I wouldn't bother sealing it or anything up, but a combative step would be to find an empty spray bottle and fill it half way with water, add like 10 drops of bleach to the water and spray the bleach solution onto the mold. Don't get the area super saturated all over again but the bleach will cut down on smell and kill a lot of the mold.
>>
File: i-44BTRKT-L.jpg (49KB, 338x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-44BTRKT-L.jpg
49KB, 338x600px
>>1180821
You can start by spraying diluted bleach on the area.

I used a ~1:4 bleach:water mix on my rotted/moldy subfloors. Definitely overkill, 1:10 would have worked just fine. Know that bleach isn't going to penetrate into porous surfaces like wood... so while it'll kill the spores on top, it's not going to kill the root underneath. You'll have the same mold coming back later unless the entire problem is dealt with.

Get with your landlord about it. Make it a concern. Keep a record of when you contacted them about it, get something in writing with date/time when possible.
If they're being cunts about getting it taken care of, escalate that to the county's health services dept and see where that goes.

The longer it goes on, the more repair it'll take and more expensive it's going to be when it is addressed.
>>
That is Aspergilus niger. Seek care.
>>
>>1180821
Be prepared for dozens of posts telling you you're going to die.
>>
>>1180821
Really can't tell what it is with just a photo, that takes a test kit that you can find at a local hardware store. Don't disturb it till you are sure it's not black mold (Stachybotrys).
The problem isn't that stuff on the wall, it's what you will find behind that. Hopefully it's minor, but that shit is a renovation nightmare.
Good luck anon.
>>
>>1180994
Oh, and read here.
(one of many sites, this is just a fairly good collection of stuff)
http://www.hgtv.com/remodel/interior-remodel/common-types-of-mold-in-homes
>>
If you still have mould. You have a damp problem.

Make sure you have ventilation and adequate heating.

If that hasn't helped. There is still a water issue.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170521-193911.jpg (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170521-193911.jpg
1MB, 1080x1920px
>>1180821
6 mil plastic that shit off. Use painters tape on the wood then duct tape the plastic to the wood. Honestly, that wood will have to be pulled and probably tossed, but better safe than sorry. Get your landlord to take care of it. I'm sure DIY could land you in trouble with him depending on his asshole level.

~ water damage restoration tech.
>>
>>1181096
*Duct tape plastic onto blue tape.
>>
>>1180913
DO NOT spray mold with any solution. It's a topical only treatment that only continues to feed the old moisture which makes it thrive.

>>1180821
You immediately call the landlord. He either remediates the problem or you let him know he's in breach of contract and you intend to terminate your lease.
>>
I usually use calcium hypochlorite pool cleaner to deal with mold. The good part about it is that it deposits a layer of calcium chloride which the mold can't grow on and it also bleaches the mold.
>>
>>1180821
That's herpes mold. Get fire insurance and burn it all down. That shit is worse than bed bugs. Only way to fix it is to strip everything down to the joists and steam the shit out of the joists, and even then it comes back more often than not.
>>
Looks like black mold. Breath it in nice and deep, and then bleach it like anons said but then dry the shit out of it as best as you can with some kind of heater/industrial fan. Obviously, without pulling away the wood and shit it's only going to dry so much.

Finally, make sure you're not going to breath that garbage in. And have your land henchman do some work.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.