[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shipping Container House

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 11

File: container.jpg (9KB, 316x159px) Image search: [Google]
container.jpg
9KB, 316x159px
I'm thinking of building a house made from a couple of 40ft shipping containers and am wondering what would be the best way to attach them together longways?
>>
>>1180728
crabmeat you fucking faggot.
>>
>>1180728
>longways
remove doors, align, patch weld
>>
>>1180728
Just bury them, then the wind won't get into the gap between the containers.
>>
>>1180748
kek that would actually be pretty cool as an underground drug den
>>
>>1180751
Everyone who wants to bury a container should do so! Follow your dreams and ignore the haters. Your initiative will be rewarded with success!

Numerous containers survived direct hits from 30mm A-10 "Warthog" cannon during the Iraq war. The springy corrugations dissipate energy and the projos bounce off. The immortal Corten steel shells last centuries even without paint, which is only decorative. The US Navy has a fleet of containers at the bottom of the Marianas trench where they dock submarines made from containers for underwater replenishment. Hawaii successfully used lava flow to encase containers to make attractive tourist lodges. Transatmospheric scramjet powered containers have been developed into launch platforms for smaller containers to be used in the post-Brexit EU space containerstation. North Korea replaced their old dug shelters under mountains with containers painted like mountains. (The insides are painted with cute anime characters to boost morale.) Elon Musk prototyped an electric container to replace the Tesla since the container is more aesthetically appealing than the car and has a lot more battery room. The mayor of Detroit has decided to replace his decaying city with containers. The old buildings will be demolished and the rubble hauled off in other containers, loaded onto rafts made of containers, and shipped to China via the St. Laurence seaway where it will be ground up and the metal residue used to make more containers. US Navy SEALS stealthily infiltrate enemy ports using containers cunningly disguised as containers. Israel is solving the Palestinian problem by storing them in containers. (Germany tried to solve the Jewish problem using wooden freight cars, but the container hadn't been invented yet.) Donald Trumps border wall will be easily affordable if built from containers. Any Beaners who slip in by other routes can be detained in containers then trucked to Beanland where containers will be donated as housing.
>>
File: 4371471_orig.jpg (347KB, 1100x786px) Image search: [Google]
4371471_orig.jpg
347KB, 1100x786px
>>1180728
Shipping container is old technology, fire watch towers are the way to go.
>>
>>1180748
>>1180468
>>
>>1180728
You aren't going to build a house, you are just shitposting. You can, however, make a nice shop easily with containers.
Use forty foot High Cubes. You want the fucking height.

I did this for my shop.
Level your containers next to each other.
Bring corner fittings firmly together. I used a Wyeth-Scott comealong which are insanely nice and you fucking want one, along with some chain lengths with grab hooks so slip through the outer corner fitting holes.
Groove the joint between upper and lower corner fittings with an angle grinder to get to clean steel. I stick welded mine with a 6010 and 6011 (I had both lying around and this isn't code work) root pass and 7018 cap.
I had half a 4x8 sheet of 1/8" steel sheared into 2" strips then tack welded that to bridge the gap between the container roof panels. Fuck sealant, I used a suitcase feeder and E71T-11 flux core wire and tacket the "high side" firmly then welded it. I then used a large soft-headed hammer to tap the strip down against the "low side" (if your containers match then no tapping necessary) then tacked and welded that.

Railroad ties make good foundations because only the corner fittings support containers. I used a steel beam under the ends of my containers to raise them instead of ties since the beam was free and handy. I welded the corner fittings to the beam.

It worked nicely and I've persuaded others to use containers for shop space. My bro build a nice small machine shop in a single High Cube.

Now leave /diy/ and study containers.
>>
File: wrongboard.jpg (84KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
wrongboard.jpg
84KB, 800x800px
>>1180728
>>
>>1180728
>a couple of 40ft shipping containers
A pile of 2x4, 2x6, plywood and screws would be way cheaper.
>>
>>1181068
Cheaper than new containers, yes. Less scungy than used containers, also yes.
>>
>>1181078
unless you buy and haul it from the docks, used containers are surprsingly expensive.
>>
File: IMG_20170520_133302.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170520_133302.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
Drove by this gem today.
>>
>>1180991
pics
>>
>>1181111
nice quads

where is this? This is excellent.
>>
>>1181111
>No end line
What a shitty field. 2/10 wouldn't show my football skills there.
>>
File: lib.png (1MB, 1919x902px) Image search: [Google]
lib.png
1MB, 1919x902px
>>1181146
The new hipster area of Louisville

>>1181158
I think it's going to be a bar - you can see concession containers on the right.
>>
File: neato.png (2MB, 1894x903px) Image search: [Google]
neato.png
2MB, 1894x903px
>>1181202
>>
>>1181111
>>1181202
>>1181203
>RESURFACED SOCCER IS A COMMUNITY PROJECT ORGANIZED BY CITY COLLABORATIVE. OUR MISSION IS TO CREATE OPPORTUNITIES FOR PLAYERS OF ALL SKILL LEVEL, AGE, AND BACKGROUND TO ENGAGE AS A COMMUNITY THROUGH THE SPORT OF SOCCER, THE BEAUTIFUL GAME.

>Liberty Field is a five-a-side pitch located in Louisville, Kentucky at ReSurfaced: The Liberty Build. It is a community space for pick-up games, adult league play, youth clinics, and community events, as well as occasional organized tournaments. The field is also available, upon request, to area schools, youth and community organizations.

I need to go wash the gay away. I'm not exaggerating - we have an abundance of soccer fields as it is. The city doesn't need to be funding this shit.
>>
>>1180728
Mig welder and braces. Rhino liner the outside and paint the inside with rust inhibit primer and paint. Wire wheel and weld sgit wherever u want. Krylon the welds.

Post build if not troll
>>
>>1180991
Legit shipping container info.

Fuckit. Ima gather some junk oil tanks and cuss their roundness till i die.
>>
File: watt.jpg (5KB, 194x204px) Image search: [Google]
watt.jpg
5KB, 194x204px
>>1180728
Everyone who wants to bury a container should do so! Follow your dreams and ignore the haters. Your initiative will be rewarded with success!

Numerous containers survived direct hits from 30mm A-10 "Warthog" cannon during the Iraq war. The springy corrugations dissipate energy and the projos bounce off. The immortal Corten steel shells last centuries even without paint, which is only decorative. The US Navy has a fleet of containers at the bottom of the Marianas trench where they dock submarines made from containers for underwater replenishment. Hawaii successfully used lava flow to encase containers to make attractive tourist lodges. Transatmospheric scramjet powered containers have been developed into launch platforms for smaller containers to be used in the post-Brexit EU space containerstation. North Korea replaced their old dug shelters under mountains with containers painted like mountains. (The insides are painted with cute anime characters to boost morale.) Elon Musk prototyped an electric container to replace the Tesla since the container is more aesthetically appealing than the car and has a lot more battery room. The mayor of Detroit has decided to replace his decaying city with containers. The old buildings will be demolished and the rubble hauled off in other containers, loaded onto rafts made of containers, and shipped to China via the St. Laurence seaway where it will be ground up and the metal residue used to make more containers. US Navy SEALS stealthily infiltrate enemy ports using containers cunningly disguised as containers. Israel is solving the Palestinian problem by storing them in containers. (Germany tried to solve the Jewish problem using wooden freight cars, but the container hadn't been invented yet.) Donald Trumps border wall will be easily affordable if built from containers. Any Beaners who slip in by other routes can be detained in containers then trucked to Beanland where containers will be donated as housing.
>>
>>1181375
Already posted, friend. I get the feeling that /diy/ is less used to shitposting than other boards, which may or may not be a good thing.
>>
>>1180759
(You)
>>
I'm building a house out of 8 HC 6m shipping containers. I don't know if it makes sense anymore (never did actally!) but it still is happening at the moment. The foundation is finished and where will be a floor in around a few weeks. After that is isolated the shipping containers will arrive. there will be a thread eventually, not just yet. I am overworked just now...
>>
>>1181656
Thanks friend.

>>1181680
How much did the containers cost?
>>
>>1180728
yes
>>
File: 1493239690273.jpg (13KB, 427x427px) Image search: [Google]
1493239690273.jpg
13KB, 427x427px
>>1180759
>>
>>1180835
but, are they portable?
>>
>>1181680
Dude. Just log pics and send em. Lol. Grats
>>
Get another container and put it in between
>>
File: mgsv 1029375623.jpg (56KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
mgsv 1029375623.jpg
56KB, 640x360px
Go right ahead and do it, op.

Put some raw materials in it with you're at it. It should totally weight it down so no one can steal your house with a Fulton recovery system.
>>
>>1180728
Have a look on this website, it is in dutch, but has pics as well with luxerious and cheap houses having containers as basis..
https://wouterswam.wordpress.com/2015/02/25/zeecontainers-als-fundament-voor-luxe-en-goedkoop-wonen-oscar-van-sesamstraat-was-ons-voor/
>>
>>1180728
Wouldn't it be too hot in summer and too cold in winter?
>>
>>1180728
I heard there's some nasty czhemicals in those.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shipping_container#Re-use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tGK1nqXr28&t=1160s
>>
File: ISO movement.jpg (679KB, 2848x2136px) Image search: [Google]
ISO movement.jpg
679KB, 2848x2136px
>>1181145
They just look like two containers side-by-side and being a bit of a mess inside ATM posting that will be self-defeating and trigger anti-containertards. This forum freaks out if shit isn't hospital-clean. I will post useful info though and that's in much shorter supply.

I'll take some pics of the roof joint when I apply some coating and a shot of the weatherhead and external welding cable panel connectors I ran thru the sidewall (which save a lot of cable wrestling and permit me to leave my power sources indoors).

Pic is my method for controlling sideways movement when I winched the two containers together. The downward-facing piece of channel is welded to a vertical plate. Not seen is the 5" piece of truck axle welded to the vertical plate which captures the hole in the corner fitting. That container is on two pieces of I-beam, one under each end. It is being winched onto two similar pieces which are welded to the other container. There's just enough slack for one person to walk from end to end to winch the containers together. I did it all single-handed since I'm used to working solo. Without that guide bracket the container could slide off the beam, but with it there's zero problem. When the containers were about a foot apart I removed the bracket and winched them together which was safe because the moving container was no longer sitting on the "loose" beams.

You don't have to use I-beam but it was free and I wanted some extra elevation for the shop. I collect all the good heavy scrap steel in useful shapes I can get my hands on.
>>
File: ISO shelf.jpg (749KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
ISO shelf.jpg
749KB, 1440x2560px
>>1183776
So seal the floor if worried. Unless you plan on chewing the wood you aren't likely to have issues. Do you eat paint chips?

You can also use new "one trip" High Cube containers painted with modern coatings. This one is my motorcycle garage in progress and has doors on each end. Shelving brackets are 1.5" angle. Hooks are 1/2" rod (from old vehicle lug wrenches I collect for round stock) bent after heating with a rosebud OA torch head. Shelf height is just over 72" so I can ride then park my bikes beneath them and have the other half clear to ride in and out. That side will get slightly higher shelves and mounts for LED floodlights. After pic was taken I welded some pipe rings to the bottom of the bracket close to the wall so I can run air hose and heavy electrical cord through them. I'm basically just copying commercial job site methods.
>>
>>1183700
Insulate as you prefer. There are many methods. Just examine commercial containers and copy what custom container builders do. My bro used relatively thin foil-backed insulation on his and fitted a combo heater/AC unit to one end. Keeps his shop quite cool in SC heat. You can paint the roof white which drops internal temps considerably. For shop use I use couple of bounce house centrifugal blowers for aggressive air circulation. One window AC is ample to cool one container in shop use.
>>
>>1180731
Did that ever get a conclusion?
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.