[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a way to amplify 0.9-1.7 volts into 5 volts or more

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

File: stepup+converter+dc+oscillator2.jpg (46KB, 979x463px) Image search: [Google]
stepup+converter+dc+oscillator2.jpg
46KB, 979x463px
Is there a way to amplify 0.9-1.7 volts into 5 volts or more without any ICs? I've this circuit but I have no idea what value L1 is.
>>
>>1180686
its not critical, try random inductors ranging from 10uH to 680uH
>>
>>1180686
You can try with different inductors and frequencies, but without any IC controlling the process the output can vary wildly depending on the load, possibly damaging whatever it is connected to, like a microcontroller or a phone (I assume you want 5 volts to power something?)
>>
>>1180729
Yes an arduino Uno, I've been searching for a week now. Here's a summary of the project, basically a small fan that turns when someone sucks from a tube, I know I can do that with a dc motor, but I can't seem to get more than 1.7 volts out of it, and there aren't any DC motors here except this, which you can find in a typical 12 volts drill. So I searched for a Dc-Dc booster and there are some but non e available here, then I searched for diy circuits and found some like the one above, but the rest need ICs like MAX756 and it doesn't exist here either, any other ideas? Is there an alternative way to get 5 v with suction?
>>
>>1180737
I forgot to mention that this project has to be done without batteries or any external power supply
>>
>>1180737
I really doubt you'll be able to power a µC with breath power, have you tried to attach a load to the motor? And your circuit is for a somewhat unregulated power supply, and anything that regulates it is going to sap your power because thats how linear regulators such as Zeners and 3-terminals work.

Also the actual power that an arduino takes is 3.3V (don't quote me on this) so if you bypass the USB-in circuitry then you should be able to save some power.
>>
>>1180747
>have you tried to attach a load to the motor?
Well no, the only thing I did was get a DC motor and measure voltage across its terminals.
Is there any other idea to get voltage through suction? This is all I have for now, the basic idea that when you suck air the fan would turn.
>>
>>1180749
Breath power is probably the most viable option, and you could have it charge a small cell if that's not out of the question. If you can get a second-hand computer fan it's motor will probably be more attuned to the speed than a battery drill. What's the project? A survival breathalyser?
>>
>>1180758
No it is something to sell to some very specific customers, basically the project is the more you suck air, the more LEDs will light, now I didn't know how to implement that but I did find out that the maximum time for suction is 4 seconds, so my idea was to power the arduino nano(sorry I said Uno before) and play withe time for the LEDs, in a case where all of them will light consecutively, and all of them will light in 4 seconds, this way for example if you sucked for 1 second, only 1/4 of the LEDs will light.

> If you can get a second-hand computer fan it's motor will probably be more attuned to the speed than a battery drill.
I actually tried 2 computer fans and both of them barely gave me any AC power.
>>
>>1180762
>AC
There's your problem. A DC computer fan would be easier to use, especially a low power one. I was wondering if maybe a Joule-thief would work for your requirements, though I'm not sure if you'd be able to filter the AC without affecting the circuit's feedback.

If it's just trying to light LEDs depending on breath power, you've already done two things wrong with conceptualisation. Firstly you don't need a microcontroller or anything of the sort for a project this simple, just a handful of passives and actives. Something simple. Secondly there's nothing stopping you from feeding this measured voltage into some sort of input while your circuit remains powered by a battery. If you're really worried about power usage you could have the breath power a relay that closes the circuit for the rest of it.
>>
>>1180779
>Firstly you don't need a microcontroller or anything of the sort for a project this simple, just a handful of passives and actives
I'll take not of that.
>Secondly there's nothing stopping you from feeding this measured voltage into some sort of input while your circuit remains powered by a battery.
The customer doesn't want any batteries or anything like that in it, just pure breathing power.
>>
>>1180740
An arduino draws 42mA while on, that's way more than you can produce by sucking air. An attiny85 draws 1mA, but since the voltage is so irregular it's no use. I would ditch the ucs and use LEDs with different voltage drops and diodes to adjust the voltage drops. I would try to find a fan that can generate around 5 volts so it can light up all LEDs.
>>1180779
DC computer fans are not designed to produce energy.
>>
replicate the schematic from an op amp ic lol
>>
https://www.quora.com/How-strong-can-a-person-suck-using-their-mouth

According to this the max is 4-5 psi.
Also let's assume that you can breath in with fully open mouth about in half a second.
Your typical lung capacity is 0.5 dm^3.

Now modeling the human lung as your typical air pump and matching power for it you get around 10W of useful mechanical power from breathing.

Meanwhile an arduino draws 42mA at 5V which is ~.2W, so you need to convert this power with 2% efficiency to make it possible. It is still challenging though and I don't think it is impossible.
>>
>>1180762
Are you making some sort of training device for someones sex dungeon?
>>
>>1181252
A DC fan needs a little modification to remove the electronic commutation, and from that point I'm pretty sure you can just add a full bridge and go.

>>1181262
>dm^3
lel yurope doesn't know what a Litre is
>>
File: 1495666457324.jpg (111KB, 1092x774px) Image search: [Google]
1495666457324.jpg
111KB, 1092x774px
>>
File: single_cell_5V.jpg (117KB, 880x900px) Image search: [Google]
single_cell_5V.jpg
117KB, 880x900px
>>1180686
>0.9-1.7 volts into 5 volts or more without any ICs?
It can be done.
Test load is a 5V1 z-diode:
Uin=1.475V Iin=67mA Pin=99mW
Uout=5.34V Iout=14mA Pout=75mW (efficiency 76%)
More power is possible but operation at 0.9V will require active regulation.
>>
>>1183857
If that's a Joule thief, it is an unregulated, pulsed source, and won't be able to reliably power silicon without the regulator+caps draining even more power. How well does an unregulated Joule thief even work on a purely resistive/ohmic load?
>>
>>1180686
JUST
>>
>>1184015
What is this meme?
>>
>>1184062
I too am curious. I thought I saw it on /m/, but it turns out they were just singing the Gundam Wing opening word by word.
>>
>>1184062
I always thought it was short for "just kys" but who knows.

>>1184072
EMOTION
>>
>>1184083
Scratch that, it was the "just fuck my shit up" guy.
>>
>>1180713
it is very critical
if the inductance is too low, the inductor will saturate before the transistor switches off
do the math, for crying out loud

the selected diode is a very shitty choice for this sort of application
you need one that has very fast reverse recovery or one that doesn't have reverse recovery at all (schottky)
>>
>>1180762
A bong/vape that lights up?
>>
File: single_cell_5V_sml.png (7KB, 300x158px) Image search: [Google]
single_cell_5V_sml.png
7KB, 300x158px
>>1184006
>Joule thief
All joules accounted for. Transistor stays cool, z-diode gets hot (as it should). I'm working on a circuit that controls the base drive to keep 5±0.5 V from idle to max load.
>>
>>1184339
The Zener getting hot is the problem, because heat = power loss. A 3-terminal regulator would probably be more efficient. How long does the circuit take to charge up the filter capacitor, because surely that will also be an issue if the circuit needs voltage instantly.
>>
>>1180686
tell us more.
what do you need to power and why does it need to be 0.9-1.7?

maybe there is a better solution.

boosting something that low wont be feasible.
the base-emitter junction is about 0,5v alone.
>>
>>1184423
>hot is the problem
no, z-diode acts as shunt load for 5V
>>
>>1184763
I know, that's how they're supposed to work, but in shunting that power to ground you're losing it. Linear regulators will always have this problem.
>>
File: LT1073-5.png (7KB, 385x388px) Image search: [Google]
LT1073-5.png
7KB, 385x388px
>>1184956
Note that the converter is still free running. The experiment was to gauge output power and efficiency of a small self-driving step-up converter. I want to replace the excellent but costly LT1073.
>>
File: single_cell_5V_reg_dat_sml.png (9KB, 301x328px) Image search: [Google]
single_cell_5V_reg_dat_sml.png
9KB, 301x328px
>>1184339
it worx
>>
>>1180686
Que whats logi culiao
>>
>>1186303
What sim is that?
>>
>>1186453
calculator, soldering iron, multimeter, scope.
>>
>>1186506
>scope
Fuck, I better start looking for a soviet dumpster-scope of my own like everyone else on /ohm/.
>>
>>1186506
Actually, could you make some sort of analogue equivalent to a PLA/PAL with enough switched components to cover practically any circuit you wanted to make? I know it would take up far more room having practically 100 of every passive in existence instead of a bunch of NAND gates, but with a m^3 and a way to add unused passives to get a value you need all I think you could pull it off. You'd have to build software to run it and put voltage probes everywhere though.
>>
>>1186526
The closest equivalent to that is the field programmable analog array. If mask programming and semicustom chips count, there are also programmable chips consisting of discrete transistors and passives, user defining the interconnects only. There are also via-based one-time programmable chips which are somewhere between FPAAs and mask-programmable stuff.

None of these are popular.
>>
>>1186532
It's really just me complaining about circuit simulators not being realistic enough. I've only tried LTspice, but if they're all like that then I don't want them. I'd breadboard my circuits up, but when dealing with ICs surrounded by passives I find the DIP is too densely arranged and I end up having bunches of jumper wires and I don't have enough wire colours to keep track of the lot, and the whole project spirals out of control. I just want there to be some prototyping stage somewhere between breadboards and simulators. Maybe some sort of switched breadboard, where you have a bunch of "breadboard" sections with all the ICs you could ever want stacked on top of one another and you can make jumpers between them and from there to the breadboard with all your passives on it. I'd also like a bunch of potentiometers on a panel.
>>
File: transformer.jpg (29KB, 277x505px) Image search: [Google]
transformer.jpg
29KB, 277x505px
>>1186525
Do it. Nothing beats a good dual-channel analog scope with 10:1 probes. It shows what is real. An additional digital scope for easy electronic documentation if need be.
>>1186538
I use 0.1" dot board for prototyping.
>>
File: OSCILLOSCOPE.jpg (258KB, 1152x1536px) Image search: [Google]
OSCILLOSCOPE.jpg
258KB, 1152x1536px
>>1186549
Yeah I think analogue scope is the way to go, but that might be my 80s boner talking (pic related). In any case those scopes should be a really great device to troubleshoot and fix by myself.

Does that dot board have copper on the bottom, or do you just wire-wrap or solder the components together above the board? 0.1" is DIP size, right? those look pretty good, though I will waste a little more solder doing that kind of prototyping.
>>
File: dots.jpg (2KB, 65x65px) Image search: [Google]
dots.jpg
2KB, 65x65px
>>1186555
Copper dots, DIP. You can mix leaded and SMD (0805) e.g. for 0R1 current sensing, very convenient.
>Telequipment
SWEEP OUTPUT sounds promising. Get the manual, build your own spectrum analyzer.
>>
>>1186579
Sweep output just provides a sawtooth that goes up as the beam moves from left to right. Useful for synchronizing multiple scopes.

A spectrum analyzer requires a huge number of bandpass filters or a CPU running fast Fourier transforms.
>>
>>1186586
True, it's more like a spectro-scope. You use it to sweep a receiver and watch the output. Or you sweep a VCO and tune a bandpass. Not much analysis involved.
>>
>>1186579
That was just one I saw second-hand online a while ago, long since sold to a richer buyer.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.