[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Upgrading a run-of-the-mill quadcopter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: WP_20170521_03_28_52_Pro (3).jpg (1MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170521_03_28_52_Pro (3).jpg
1MB, 3264x1840px
I have this fairly average quadcopter with a camera on the bottom that I'd like to interface with a raspberry pi or arduino or something that gives me programmable control, because I have a few gripes with the qc as it is.
The controls are abysmal, level flight is a guessing game with the joysticks on the remote control, the recorded footage is in barely compressed AVI which quickly fills up any SD card I put into it, and once it goes out of the quite short range, it just crashes back down to earth.

What I'd like to do:
Change it so that it uses an Xbox controller instead of the remote.
Encode and stream the video over WiFi (the raspberry pi's H264 encoding is making me lean towards it over an arduino solution) but at the same time, increase the range it can fly, which seems like it would be in opposition to streaming the video.

First question is the video:
>>
File: WP_20170521_03_29_04_Pro (2).jpg (1MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170521_03_29_04_Pro (2).jpg
1MB, 3264x1840px
The camera itself has 3 wires, red and black which I assume are for VCC and ground, and a yellow wire. How is a video signal sent over 1 wire? What kind of encoding does it use? (or am I entirely wrong and basing it on the fact I've seen other CCD cams with the same wiring setup, but without the SD card port the one on this has).
>>
I'll post the rest tomorrow, I'm too drunk and tired for the rest of this shit.
>>
>>1180513
I've always wanted to hook up a quadcopter to a roomba to let it soar majestically at a set altitude, avoid birds and trees on its own, and then return to its little charging nest. This would be a great pet.

Monitoring thread for undoubtedly relevant tips.
>>
>>1180513
I frankly think you'd be better off starting with a whole new quad (ideally with a Cleanflight/Betaflight-based flight controller) rather than trying to polish this turd, but I've got some input for you either way.
>Change it so that it uses an Xbox controller instead of the remote.
>but at the same time, increase the range it can fly
Wireless Xbox controllers don't exactly have too great of range, so I'm guessing you'll want some sort of signal conversion for proper RC ranges using longer-range RF modules.

Now, the smart fuckers who made Deviation firmware have cracked the radio protocols on a lot of these shitty drones (https://www.deviationtx.com/wiki/supported_models), but unfortunately for you, your particular toygrade piece of crap (if I've identified it correctly - JJRC X12C, no?) uses special-snowflake module (LT8910) and proprietary protocol that hasn't yet been cracked (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2307555-JJRC-H12C-with-RTH). So you're basically left with two choices - either crack it yourself, or throw the guts of this quad in the trash and use other guts.
>Encode and stream the video over WiFi
Analog is much easier.
>>1180514
>red and black which I assume are for VCC and ground
Actually wrong in this case (I gather this a JJRC H1C, correct?), but can't blame you for making that assumption.
>How is a video signal sent over 1 wire?
Once you're sober, you might want to look again at this camera module and rethink some of your assumptions. Maybe try to map out how video data would get from the lens/sensor module to the SD card for recording, and which of these wires (if any) that video would have to go through to get there.

Then look through this thread, someone worked out what the wires actually do for your shitty quad along with a few related shitty quads: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2418068-Toy-Quadcopters-and-compatibility-with-Toy-Cameras-like
>>
>>1180666
>X12C
>H1C
Holy fuck, I mean H12C. Goddamnit.
>>
>>1180666
this anon is correct. You won't get that toy to do what you want, you'll have to build a quad from scratch. This will actually be a lot easier than trying to work with that piece of garbage.

Check out the RC thread >>1178182
>>
Stupid question time: what would happen if I hooked a reasonably-sized drone up to a roomba's guidance system? Could it independently avoid static obstacles? Maybe even birds if I fine-tuned it?

I low-key want an automated pet drone.
>>
>>1181154
Fuck now that you mention this I could have one patrolling my garden keeping the fucking deer out.
>>
>>1180513
>level flight is a guessing game

gg noob. An xbox controller with it's stubby little sticks is going to give you less throw and therefore even less control over hovering.
>>
Right, I'm back.

>>1180666
I don't intend directoly controlling it with a wireless Xbox controller. I'd connect the controller to the base station running a control program, broadcast the commands to the Drone then have the pi responsible for running the commands, driving the motors, etc.
I was leaning towards gutting it anyways rather than fiddling with the current controls
Tried to open the camera's casing but there are 2 screws that I can't reach with a screwdriver so I don't want to ruin it but yeah, now that I think about it of course it sends data to the SD card. Might be worth abandoning using that camera altogether and get one for the Pi instead and use that.

>>1181247
Using sticks for altitude is A) Stupid and B) counterintuitive when every single game I've played has drilled it into me how to use the triggers.
Which is why I'm planning to remap them to something more sensible, pitch and roll on one stick, yaw on the other, and altitude changes on the triggers where the drone would automatically maintain its height when the triggers aren't in use, as opposed to the fucking around you have to do with the current sticks.

Other plans: GPS built in, an actual return mode that works as opposed to the shitshow it currently does. Possibly autonomous flight, but that'll take a bit of learning first.
>>
>>1181507
Also, failing the xbox controller I have a HOTAS that would work nicely too.
>>
>>1180714
>You won't get that toy to do what you want
Actually, if it were just about any other JJRC quad, the Xbox controller part would be reasonably doable. Heck, some dude already did like half of it here: https: //www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2191717-DIY-v2x2-TX-module-Ultra-Cheap-Ultra-Easy
And gluing an FPV camera to the bottom would be even easier. Even a crappy wifi-based one like http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopter-parts/pp_589919.html

>>1181154
Don't Roombas use bump-sensors to "avoid" obstacles?

Anyways, low-tech is best-tech. Here's your pet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUGEjQdoylY

>>1181507
>I don't intend directoly controlling it with a wireless Xbox controller. I'd connect the controller to the base station running a control program, broadcast the commands to the Drone then have the pi responsible for running the commands, driving the motors, etc.
Yeah, then you'd definitely want to start from scratch. Nothing about this little toy is going to help you move that project along.

Also
>have the pi responsible for running the commands, driving the motors, etc.
A Pi isn't really ideal for that. These functions are more of a job for a real-time microprocessor (or several). Having a Pi somewhere in the loop might make sense, but there's a reason every prominent flight controller/autopilot has a dedicated microprocessor driving these low-level functions.

>Using sticks for altitude is A) Stupid and B) counterintuitive when every single game I've played has drilled it into me how to use the triggers.
The added finesse of longer, RC-style sticks is important for other axes too, not just throttle. Then again if you're just going to let an autopilot handle all the real flying while you dumb-thumb it around the sky then I suppose it doesn't really matter.
>>
>>1180513
are you saying you just really like that particular shell and those motors and you're willing to go to hell and back to try to keep them? after 1 crash the shell would be break so i don't think its worth getting particularly attached to that one.
>>
>>1181530
Bless you.

I'm going to get those bump sensors set up on a crash cage once I get the funds.

Any name suggestions? You have partial rights.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.