[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>It will kill

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

>It will kill
>>
keel*
>>
This (insert long pause here) will cut.

Mumble mumble handle and balance.

I like this show but the judges are so comically one dimensional...
>>
>>1180316
>Forged in Fire
I wonder how many of the aluminum can forge /diy/kes are trying their hands at bladesmithing now.
>>
>>1180777
Shitty knife market is over saturated now FML
>>
>>1180316
kill it will
>>
File: confused screaming.jpg (9KB, 342x342px) Image search: [Google]
confused screaming.jpg
9KB, 342x342px
>>1180588
Has a lot of great ways on how not to make a knife
>When some dumb cunt quenches in water

>>1181206
>Shitty knife market
Ah, its always been kind of rubbish. Most of us only do it to be an occupied but otherwise crazed anachronism
>>
>>1180588
Fucked up thing is Marcaida is actually really knowledgeable about the manufacture, handling and use of edged weapons, but he's made into a caricature in the show. Goddamn shame.
>>
>>1180316
did you ever see the episode where
the asian guy just ground down some stock
> do you even know what forging is?
>>
>>1182114
That one rustled my jimmies. What really got me is the one were the skirt wearing guy misses most of the coconuts then blames the handles on three different knives. Maybe you just missed dude.
>>
>>1182123
I like how they always say "were going to do a coconut chop" instead of "were going to cut some coconuts"... like theirs some kind of commission that sat down and payed out the MOTHER OF GOD official rules for cutting coconuts with a fucking knife and may god have mercy on your soul if you think that your just gonna grab a nut and hack at it like some kind of grass skirt wearing infidel....
>>
>>1182114
Oh god, i wanted to walk out of the room during that one.
>>
niggers
>>
>>1181325
>>When some dumb cunt quenches in water
I'm kinda new to knife making, mind telling me why water is bad ? does it cool the blade too fast ? or not fast enough ?
>>
>>1182499
Simple question, very complicated answer.

Some of the steels you see will generally have an (O)oil (A)air (W)water which is their designation for hardening, however that is also their recommendation for Industrial processes- dies, shears, crankshafts, presses etc Which by and large are massive construction really with a lot of material that can absorb the shock of treating them in something like water.
As a general rule, the more complex the alloy, the more care you need when working it on a smaller scale such as blades, which may have a lot of material, but its generally quite thin.

When you heat a metal up, its expanding in size, there's a whole heap of chemical interactions happening with the heat in those alloys- so when it goes from 750-800C down to a around 20-30C, it's snapping to its room temperature form. As the blade is going into the quench its not a uniform immersion either, one part will be at say 800C, the part next to it is rapidly dropping down to about 400C in fractions of a second, as its going in further, 400C down to 100C etc until its back to room temp and all those inclinations of temp are creating shearing forces along the structure of the blade- basically pulling each other apart.

Water as a quench is also relatively poor at dispersing its heat evenly- its reaching a boiling temperature, the gas bubbles coming off it also retard the effects of cooling effectively as there's a barrier between the surface of the steel and the water which can carry heat away.
Not to say you 'cant quench in water', but only some of the less complicated alloys and even then its more of an 'art' to doing it than a science, leading to ways of entering the quench, differential treating and so on.

Oils generally have a higher boiling point of around 3-400C depending on the type.
That minimises the bubble formations, so it can bleed heat away evenly and we'll tend to also heat the oil (I do around 80-100C) which helps to minimise the shock to the metal
>>
Any recommendations for safety glasses for forge welding? From my understanding it puts out a ton of IR, and I'd rather not get cataracts.
>>
>>1182534
Very well said, thanks anon.
>>
File: ELVEX_challenger_shade3.jpg (46KB, 755x416px) Image search: [Google]
ELVEX_challenger_shade3.jpg
46KB, 755x416px
>>1182644
Many brands offer safety glasses in low level shades like 3-5. These are used for oxyfuel cutting and welding to protect from the glow of molten metal rather than an arc, so they'd probably work well for forging.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.