[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Don't know if this is the right board but...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

File: door.jpg (97KB, 1280x600px) Image search: [Google]
door.jpg
97KB, 1280x600px
Should you change your Locks if you lose your house keys?
>>
>>1180289
do you have a spare key
>>
Dumb question (mine), Do you know aproximately where you lost them?, are you sure they are lost?
If you live or lost them near scum, change everithing, or minimun the main ones
>>
>>1180297
Unless OP lives around like 3 houses it's statistically unlikely anyone will try the key on his door.
>>
File: thedudeisconfused.gif (123KB, 496x279px) Image search: [Google]
thedudeisconfused.gif
123KB, 496x279px
Doesn't a lock really only keep honest people out? I mean if I want to get into our house I will just 'bypass' the lock.
>>
>>1180304
>>
>>1180299
ergo the nearly scum question, changing the main lock seems a good idea, and of course having good standing in the neighborhood
>>1180304
new acquaintances, and mofos looking for one mistake, even just for the lulz
>>
File: Meh.png (100KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Meh.png
100KB, 480x270px
I've prob lost over 10 or more keys to my front & rear door. So far no one has tracked me down and tried coming inside.
>>
>>1180289
How else are you going to get in and out of your house?
For the cost of a lock I think you must be retarded not to.
Came home to my ex having left keys in the door after opening it. In a private stair for no longer than 30 minutes. Still changed the lock, always keep a spare for things like this.
Do the cost benefit analysis and see what you come up with. If you live in a crack den and all you have is a piss filled mattress on the floor then you might as well leave the door open completely, nobody's going to steal it.
>>
>>1180293
Yes, I do but I ask in case someone breaks in
>>
>>1180289
were your keys attached to other keys or shit that points out where you live?
either way, unless you are the initial builder and know noone has ever had a spare key, use it as an excuse to change all your locks if you haven't already
>>
>>1180304
yes, most house locks can be raked in 5 to 30 seconds, less if they use one of the automated tools.
your typical home door can also be kicked in by a child, windows are just glass, sliding doors can be lifted out of the tracks.
>>
Depends on where you lost them and if your had info of where you live attached.

If you lost them in your yard, change them since even a retard could connect the dots. If you lost them around town, who cares?

Same if you had something that could identify your house on them.
>>
File: i-5bRxqp7-L.jpg (75KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-5bRxqp7-L.jpg
75KB, 800x600px
>What is access control

I'm seriously considering RFID readers and electric strikes on the doors at my next house. Sure, there'll still be a key, and I'm going to get a better-than-kwikset/schlage handle/lockset on it.... but primary access will not be with a key.
Also going to reinforce door/jambs as well. Surprisingly easy to kick in most residential doors. Locks hold, but the latch and catch tears right out.

I'm carrying an RFID badge for work anyways. There's a couple sites I do contract work on that also use RFID systems, so I hit my wallet/badge on the reader and call/radio security... "Hey, it's me, i'm at ____ gate. I just swiped a badge, would you mind activating that?"
So there's like 5 places that my badge opens up. I could add my house to this pretty easily.

I can also give out a badge to a neighbor, friend, house-sitter, etc... just let them keep it, and activate/deactivate as needed to control their access to my house. Even limit what doors they can use it on, and change that remotely...

If you don't know who all has keys to your shit, yeah, I'd rekey or change the locks.
Or don't, if that's a risk you're willing to accept.
>>
>>1180289
Only if you have your address on your key ring. Otherwise you're fine.
>>
>>1180586
Not going the RFID path, but there are a good number of deadbolts/locksets with both a combination and Z-wave protocol. Something that will let me lock doors if I forget, or let someone in.
The only downside is the dang things need batteries. The readers with electric strikes are AC/DC powered but also require quite a bit more work to install.
>>
>>1180304
>I want to get into our house I will just 'bypass' the lock.

But that signals your criminal intent. And out comes the 12 gauge.
>>
>>1180304
Most burglars are lazy fucks and will skip a locked house in favor or robbing some fuck who left his back door unlocked.
>>
>>1180289
>Classic Kwickset lock has 720 permutations
>Schlage has 15,120 permutations
Somebody out there already has your key.
>>
Just think about it for a second. If people find a random key near the street or wherever you lost it, what will they do with it?
>>
>>1180289
my dumbass bought a house and changed all the locks without knowing they could re-key the locks at the store to use the same key so i have 3 different house keys

how much would a locksmith cost me to convert to 1 key?
>>
>>1181433
Home Depot charges $5 a lock if you bring them all in, we used to do it for free but now its only free if you are buying them there.
>>
>>1181433
Does one key fit into the three different locks? Not turn, but fit? If so, go to any hardware store and buy a rekey kit for that brand. It's not very difficult to do yourself, and even if you make a mistake like pop a spring, it's correctable.
>>
>>1181436
ya all 3 keys can fit in any of the locks but after some searching there doesn't seem to be a gatehouse (lowe's brand) re-key kit
>>
File: five to the sixth power.png (21KB, 706x502px) Image search: [Google]
five to the sixth power.png
21KB, 706x502px
>>1181313
>>Classic Kwickset lock has 720 permutations

A standard Kwikset lock has five pins.
Each pin may be one of six lengths
5^6=15,625

>>Schlage has 15,120 permutations

They both have similar cuts so both have the same possibilities.
Deduct a few for 'all the same' or similar non desirable cuts and you still have well over fifteen thousand for either brand.
>>
imagine arguing over keys and how many permutations of pins the locks have when you can have 100,000 permutations and still be defeated by a simple bump key.
>>
>>1181470
Or a crowbar, or a boot. Or even using a sawzall to cuth through the back side of a garage, out of sight during a thunderstorm, because all the windows are barred. People find a way, just don't make it easy for someone who's not crafty and just sees an opportunity
>>
File: 1461723250617.png (101KB, 432x576px) Image search: [Google]
1461723250617.png
101KB, 432x576px
>>1180289

I work at Home Depot, the hardware department ( which includes door locks and deadbolts), and you're just like the fucks I have to deal with daily.

The locks we sell come keyed a certain way from the factory with the pin numbers on a sticker on the back of the box, and 3 or so packages from the same box (or 'batch') come keyed alike for people who are buying more than one package at a time and want to use the same key. As soon as I point this out I get the same exact question from my clever clientele.

"Couldn't someone buy the same box and then they would have the key?"

Try to imagine how badly I want to roll my eyes in that moment but can't. It's a wonder I've kept my job this long. Consider the astronomical odds that someone

>knows different packages will have the same key
>knows which batch you got your locks out of
>knows who you are
>knows where you live

The odds are ASTRONOMICAL. To the point where they approach zero.

Anyways

If someone had the resources to figure out what house a key goes to, using nothing but the key, they definitely wouldn't waste them on breaking into your house.
>>
>>1181546
So you're telling me my locks aren't safe?
>>
>>1180586
>RFID
>secure
come on
>>
>>1181739
>what is accounting
>>
>>1181731
>expecting HD to sell anything functional, useful or just not completely useless shit.
>>
>>1180395
>sliding doors can be lifted out of their tracks.

Not on anything built past like 2005. My parents just replaced their sliding glass door, and thats a question I asked the foreman on the site if they where like the old ones and he showed me how they went in (cheapie mi windows/door) so even the low end stuff this cannot be done. The benefit of sliding glass doors or any new windows near a bathtub. They are tempered. So smash em along the frames and they explode into pieces.
>>
>>1180299
unless you think you lost them and some one stole them
>>
>>1181442
Post an image of the top part of your key please. Gatehouse is probably some shit generic for one of the bigger name brands.
>>
>>1181455
That's not how the formula works friend. Schlage has a greater number of pin lengths out of the gate. This means jack if you'd like to file pins down, but as a standard Schlage has more permutations.
>>
File: 050134110595.jpg (101KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
050134110595.jpg
101KB, 900x900px
>>1182682
I Googled it. This is a generic Baldwin which should fit in a Kwikset lock. Buy a Kwickset rekey kit.
>>
>>1182688
>That's not how the formula works friend.

Tell me please, how does the formula work?
>>
>>1182885
>Tell me please, how does the formula work?
for the Kwikset, it's 6^5 - not 5^6
Schlage has ten pin sizes so:

Kwikset 5 pin = 7,776
Kwikset 6 pin = 46,656
Schlage 5 pin = 10,000
Schlage 6 pin = 100,000

That's 'possible combinations' there a some you wouldn't want to use.
>>
>>1180586
>He doesn't believe in Russian hackers
I wouldn't rely on computer security for my physical security.
>>
I only lock my doors so confused people don't walk into the wrong one by accident.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.