[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

air tools

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: 2017-05-19 18.52.46.jpg (2MB, 3555x2000px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-19 18.52.46.jpg
2MB, 3555x2000px
finally got a respectable non bullshit compressor, now looking to fill my cluttered garage with even more tools. which brand of air tools is the best bang for your buck without raping your wallet? ive been looking at ingersoll rand edge series tools and have 10 tools picked out that will run about 800 or 900 bucks and it seems like a good deal for the amount of tools with good reviews. max budget is $1000 because i got the compressor for an absolute steal.
>>
>>1180249
Harbor freight
>>
>>1180317
No. The only air tool I would get from HF is the earthquake
>>
>>1180249
Look for used Bluepoint, Snap-On, and IR on Craigslist or any other second hand source you can think of. I bought a used IR impact drill and been working great for years. Got it for $60 vs $500 new price.
>>
>>1180322
500 bucks? industrial/professional line im assuming?
ive been checking craigslist for tools and a compressor for a while now but i live in a sub 40000 town where everyone either dies with their tools or passes them in the family. rarely do you see anything of value that isnt I KNO WHUT I GOT priced which is why i figured i might as well get new ones.
>>
>>1180339
also id rather not deal with tools that have been abused for the past 10 years from being run at double the rated psi without a drop of oil ever going inside them
>>
>>1180339
Ok fine if used isn't a option, go with Blue Point over Snap On since they're cheaper and they are the same thing.

Matco air tools are decently priced and they're pretty good in my opinion.

Make sure you check ebay even for new since people sometimes sell just the bare tool without accessories for cheaper. But that's assuming you have everything else you need.

Well other then that, good luck in your tools purchase.
>>
>>1180341
Yeah I get what you mean, I oil my stuff every week. But I know other people that I haven't seen them oil their stuff in the years I've known them -_-
>>
>>1180342
blue point is good im sure, but too expensive for my blood and is probably overkill for my light use. im trying to not spend over 100 or 150 per tool. this is why i gravitated towards ir because i can get a ton of tools for less than $100 a pop without going to horrible freight or home depot/lowes (unless husky or kobalt are good, in which case i have no problem with it)
>>
File: oops.jpg (60KB, 700x587px) Image search: [Google]
oops.jpg
60KB, 700x587px
>>1180345
Husky and Kolbalt are fine for home/general use. I just mainly own Snap On and such so I figured you'd..... but I figured wrong.

But yeah man, go for Husky since I have one as a spare and it's old but works great. I also have at home a Kolbalt air ratchet that works perfectly fine for the year or so I've had it.
>>
>>1180350
maybe in the future when i have a better job and my usage calls for it i will upgrade to a more "professional" brand but honestly most of the tools are just going to collect dust most of the year so it really doesnt justify spending $200+ per tool when i can spend about $700 and completely stock my garage with every air tool ill ever need.
just to quantify all of the ingersoll tools i have on my list:
>air hammer 114gqc
>keyless reversible drill 7811g
>dual action sander 311g
>die grinder 3107g
>angle die grinder 3101g
>angle grinder 422g
>cutoff 326g
>ratchet 170g
>impact 231g
>reciprocating saw 429g
>grand total $683 (with shipping, no accessories)
>>
File: happy_homer.jpg (10KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
happy_homer.jpg
10KB, 250x250px
>>1180357
That's not bad at all for all that. You might as well just purchase and if any regret follows along, just drown it with beer or food, or whatever works for you.
>>
>>1180359
youre right. pretty sure i could make all or most of my money back on craigslist too if it ever came down to it because of the whole no one sells anything here thing. also every tool is "edge series" which i guess is the consumer grade midlevel above the basic line and below the timax
>>
The only name brand air tool I would get is for the impact wrench because the newer designs from name brands are so monstrously powerful. Mine is a Mac that delivers 1200 lbs ft and it has never been defeated by a bolt. Even crank bolts bow down to its power.

For everything else, Harbor Freight.
>>
File: snap on is life.png (145KB, 500x567px) Image search: [Google]
snap on is life.png
145KB, 500x567px
>>1180362
If you do a lot of mechanical work like I do, eventually do invest in a good impact drill. Since those things in the low price range are REALLY weak in my opinion.
>>
>>1180366
>>1180367
i can understand that. worst case i get this impact and it sucks, i sell it and upsize to a real mans toy.
>>
>>1180362
One more thing. These tools really require 3/8" hoses and high flow fittings at a bare minimum. I use Milton V fittings on my impact and they work well. If I had used standard 1/4 NPT the gun would have less than half its power.
>>
>>1180374
Yep i made sure to get 3/8 stuff. Are high flow fittings required though? The only hose I could find has 1/4" ends and all of those tools have 1/4" females.
>>
>>1180379
They are absolutely necessary in my opinion. I recommend the Milton V because it is still compatible with male 1/4 NPT so you don't need to put the high flow fittings on your tire inflators and nailguns but yes, smaller fittings will completely choke the life out of high power impact wrenches.
>>
>>1180386
Also you can replace the fittings on your hose. Make sure to also replace the female outlet on your compressor to high flow.
>>
>>1180386
>>1180389
Well fuck. Guess I have more shopping to do lol. I don't think I could place the fittings on the hose I got at least not usually, but really it comes down to it I can just drill it out. Also they're not 1/4 Id, they're 1/4 npt Id. Inside is definitely larger than the ones on this Old 1/4 hose I have I have
>>
>>1180400
Wow fucking voice to text is full on chinglish today
*I don't think I can replace the fittings on my hose, at least not easily, but if it comes down to it... Etc
>>
>>1180379
are you dense? 3/8 hose: 3/8 fittings.

get pigtails/whip hoses for your smaller tools, then you can let the awkward heavy main hose and the inevitable foot-long stack of quick connectors, Y-pieces, inline oilers and flow knobs lay on the ground where it won't bother anyone.
>>
>>1180407
Niger I said the hose has 3/8 holes with 1/4 PIPE THREAD ends aka 1/2 size fittings
>>
>>1180249
I actually work in the Air Tool industry, dealing mainly with industries such as oil and gas, mining, construction, forestry, etc. Our top two product lines are Ingersoll Rand and Chicago Pneumatic.

For your $1k budget, pick up some pre-owned IR and CP models. IR 2135, 2141/2145, 1207MAX; CP 7732C, 772H, 785, 876, 7763, 7721 are all good and can be had for under $1000.
>>
>>1180317
i know people shit on HF for stuff, but their air tools/compressors are one of the few things that are pretty good.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.