[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do into sheet metal bending?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

Hey guys, what would I need to make something like pic related?

I am in the EU and would love a Titanium/steel/tin tent stove and thought maybe it'd be doable to make my own.

Pic related is just 6 sides, with some bent in lips, and 4 long bolts pinning it all together.
>>
File: 1489691330043.png (429KB, 1000x900px) Image search: [Google]
1489691330043.png
429KB, 1000x900px
http://www.wikihow.com/Bend-Sheet-Metal

Leverage is key, so your smaller edges should be cut after they're bent

Alternatively, riveting is a simple process and could make the process less complicated.
>>
Is something like this a doable first project?

Thanks for the link
>>
>>1180255
Sure, be prepared to do it 3-4 times to get it right.

You're also going to need a way to cut that hole. A hole saw should be OK on thinner gauge materials.

Stick with tin or stainless steel.
>>
>>1180240
gonna need a metal break. Sheetmetal is a tough thing to amateur into, it takes some specialized equipment to do it and not have it look like crap.
>>
>>1180256

Is there tool to crimp an edge?

What about cutting? tin snips or?

What gauge sheeting should I use to avoid warping / burning through?
>>
>>1180266
Couple of ways you can do it depending on the material you use and the quality of the final product.

Hand tools are tough to get a decent looking cut, a break as >>1180263 said will give you a clean cut.

I'd start by going to youtube and watching some people working with sheet steel and tin.
>>
>>1180263
This, I work in a machine shop fabricating and welding.
>>
Will I really need a brake for light gauge sheet?

Essential tools?
>>
>>1180283

I'm thinking 30g, which is 0.018''
>>
Also, considerations for titanium?
>>
>>1180240
Bruh just studdy origamy nigga
>>>/po/
>>
>>1180324
thanks for the contribution, "bruh"
>>
>>1180240
a sheet metal brake and a welder?
>>
>>1180240
there's a pic somewhere for an old stanley or craftsman hammer that showed how to use that hammer to do metal folds and seams like you'd use in metal duct work.

alternative, cut the sides to size and use some thin angle bar, with screws or rivets.
There might be HVAC slot/track piece for joints that would work.

See if you can find the stuff you want already sized right in HVAC supply. Need to double up parts that touch fire probably.
Hope you used doublewalled duct for vent if it passes through anything or near flammable/meltable shit
>>
>>1180382
>Hope you used doublewalled duct for vent if it passes through anything or near flammable/meltable shit

Not sure exactly what you mean but I'd be using a stove jack when fitting to a tent.

Scratching my head over what thickness to make it.

I have found 0.8mm sheeting for cheap, but thinking perhaps I should go thicker on the base, and thinner on the side and top.
>>
>>1180240
Practice on stiff cardboard/sheet stock. That will give you an idea of how the folds will work and it's way less expensive when you screw up.
>>
File: 540-3_folding-sheet-metal-55a.jpg (22KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
540-3_folding-sheet-metal-55a.jpg
22KB, 300x225px
>>1180240
make your bends with a hammer and wood.
cut the panels to size with a thin disc in a grinder. tight circles for the door and chimney holes would be easier to cut with a jigsaw or nibbler. a step drill is the best tool for making the bolt holes.

after a year every lightweight stove looks like a rusty dented biscuit tin; it's not worth making perfect crisp bends and laser-accurate circles.
>>
>>1180347
welding sheet with mig or smaw is *hard*. Expert welders can do it all day, I blow a hole in anything I touch under 16ga.
>>
>>1180456
I don't have access to welding gear anyway. I was going to just use rivets
>>
File: VB200N.jpg (20KB, 536x523px) Image search: [Google]
VB200N.jpg
20KB, 536x523px
Sheet metal locking pliers (pic related). Clamps. Vises. Corner Templates. Careful application of mild heat. Peening hammers.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.