[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you make a charcoal grill from aluminum?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: AluminumCan.jpg (59KB, 800x567px) Image search: [Google]
AluminumCan.jpg
59KB, 800x567px
Can you make a charcoal grill from aluminum?
>>
No, aluminum will probably melt.
>>
>>1179628
Nah

You fine op. Aluminum melts at like 1200 or 1300 f. To melt you grill you would need a hot as fuck fire with quality charcoal and a hair dryier.

My propane grill is aluminum and its glorious.

Sucks a little cause it oxidizes and looks like shit, but it doesnt rust.

Fucker is cast aluminum. I dropped it and put a crack in it 10 years ago.

It will likely outlive us all.
>>
>>1179702
Could you make one out of a keg?
>>
>>1179702
>it oxidised but it doesnt rust
get this retard out of here
>>
>>1179591
careful if you're going to reuse aluminum cans, make sure you burn off all the plastic lining they have inside.
>>
>>1179774
whoa what?
>>
>>1179774
Plastic lining? Wouldn't an AL grill put off a small amount of fumes - the Alzheimer's kind?
>>
>>1179759
>>it oxidised but it doesnt rust
>get this retard out of here
M8 rust is iron oxide; it literally requires iron (Fe) atoms. All rust is oxidisation but not all oxidisation is rust.
>>
>>1179790
There's no convincing evidence of that and if you're going to avoid aluminum "just in case", then you certainly shouldn't eat anything grilled either.
>>
>>1179759
Rust is iron specific

Tell me one time you've heard it used for another material
>>
Personally, I'd avoid having hot charcoal in contact with bare aluminum. It could actually catch fire itself. If it does catch, it will burn HOT. As in "water won't put it out" hot (like it's cousin magnesium).

If you could enamel coat it, you might be OK.

Propane grills are a different kettle of fish because the fuel isn't in continuous direct contact with the metal.

Really want to avoid a mini USS Stark...
>>
>>1179836
Pfffht
Steel?
Off the top of my head.
Yeah I know what you meant.
>>
>>1179702
Metals go soft way before they actually melt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzF1KySHmUA
>>
>>1179779
Pop cans have a thin layer of plastic inside to prevent drinks from getting a metallic taste. Next time you drink a can, rinse it out with water and then drink from it and taste the metal shit.
>>
The layer of aluminum oxide melts at like 3000 degrees right?

So... If its oxidized enough and the layer is strong enough you could theoretically have molten aluminum that retains it's shape? Or the heat expansion would bust the oxide?
>>
you could, but it would probably be better to use a metal with a higher melting point
>>
>>1180058

No doubt but it'd make an awesome science experiment to show people.

Heat up an oxidized aluminum plate and poke a hole in it with a needle and liquid comes out, something like that to blow minds
>>
>>1180054
>If its oxidized enough and the layer is strong enough you could theoretically have molten aluminum that retains it's shape?
This sometimes happens when you weld aluminum.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.