[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dulling brass

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: 197377_ts.jpg (110KB, 1155x1155px) Image search: [Google]
197377_ts.jpg
110KB, 1155x1155px
Hello /diy/ I have a simple question I thought yall might be able to help with.

What options do I have for dulling the surface of brass without effecting it's structural strength any?

I have some shells on my chest that I don't want the brass of the shells to reflect any light, but I don't want to do something like put tape over them as that would impede their use.

Is there way to chemically stain the surface of the brass or something?
>>
File: blow_torch.jpg (31KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
blow_torch.jpg
31KB, 500x500px
>>1179568
Get it hot. It will oxidize in air. Depending on how hot you get it, you can produce a range of finishes from slightly dull to matte gray.
>>
>>1179568
A mild bleach solution should work. If you want to do it the hard way, cum tarnishes brass, but it might take a while though. I'm thinking that both are basic solutions if that helps.
>>
Anything that will etch the surface. Vinegar and lemon juice brought to a boil is fun.
>>
>>1179572
Yeah man, just superheat your live ammo. This guy's a fucking genius
>>
>>1179568
Ammonia?
>>
>>1179568
what I thought of:
>paint marker
>sanding it
>making a custom shroud that covers up the brass part but you can still take the shells out
but really though, is it that shiny?
>>
>>1179572
>/diy tires to kill me
>>1179573
possible, will look into think
>>1179625
paint market will prob be my best bet, i feel fairly retarded for not thinking of it honestly.

and ya, when hit by a flashlight it reflects pretty hard comparatively.
>>
>>1179568
Claiming dibs on this for a band name
> shells on my chest
>>
>>1179572
You'd have to disassemble or fire the shells and then reload them
>>
File: spoon_feeding.jpg (30KB, 750x422px) Image search: [Google]
spoon_feeding.jpg
30KB, 750x422px
>>1179955
>>
>>1179819
bitch, thats my band
>>
Mustard
>>
>>1179568
Shoe polish.
>>
>>1179568
Any cold blue solution will stain brass black.
>>
>>1179568
>What options do I have for dulling the surface of brass without effecting it's structural strength any?

firstly you mean affecting. affect is the verb

this is not possible, any change in surface appearance is because of a change in the chemistry of the material, which will also alter other properties i.e. strength.

the real question is to what extent is the strength affected for a given operation and what is the acceptable tolerance for your situation.
>>
>>1180444
Trips confirm, I'm betting this is the quickest and easiest method. Patina with ammonia (and optionally salt, if you want a little color) will work too.
>>
Buy a brass blueing kit.

Or go to /k/ and ask about how to /diy/ it.

Blueing brass makes it more corrosion resistant.

Well blued brass/copper cartridges with lacquer sealed primers should still be usable after being underwater for months.

Scrape off any excess and shoot away
>>
>>1180600
double ought-dubs confirmed
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.