[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tools thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 79

File: IMAG0321.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0321.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
Lets have a tool circle-jerk. What do you /diy/? What are the tools for your /diy/ing that are really worth the premium? Are you a mechanic dropping a couple mortgages on Fap-On stuff? A heavy industry dude with a red rocket for red cordless? A mommy blogger with an Etsy account for her bead jewelry who sprung for some Lindstrom? What are your best deal finds? Did you snag a $50 Craigslist lathe that you now make fidget spinners with? Are you restoring something old? What do you have on your tool wishlist?
>>
File: i-BzFV3cG-L.jpg (86KB, 451x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-BzFV3cG-L.jpg
86KB, 451x600px
Fluke, Keysight/Agilent/HP, Anritsu, Tektronix for T&M equip
Wiha, Crapsman, Husky, HFT for hand tools
Milwaukee for battery tools (>dat m18 lineup)
Motorola, Mikrotik, Ubiquiti for radio/IP stuffs
Brother sewing machine

Middle of a kitchen remodel now. Having some contractors come in to replace the subflooring... take them a day vs. taking me 3 months. I'll hire someone out to do the countertop/install. Otherwise it's all /diy/.
Next up is the bathroom. Might replace the sink/vanity, clean up the shit job the previous owners did on the drywall in there, then replace the cheap-as-shit plastic surround with tile.

Do all my own small-engine repairs (gens, snowmo, moto). Truck's not worth my time to wrench on for the most part. Got a good local mechanic that works for cheap.

Do some other work (mechanical and electrical) here and there, so i've got a breddy gud array of tools to choose from.
>>
File: evosaw380-lg.jpg (192KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
evosaw380-lg.jpg
192KB, 900x900px
>>1178995
I just bought this. Best $400.00 I ever spent
Beats the hell out of my dewalt chop saw.
>>
>>1179018
What the hell kind of blade is that? Or is it some kinda weird double-action blade guard?
>>
>>1179036
Harbor Freight brand Blunt Saw technology Blunt Saw. Good for blunting thing very quickly.
>>
File: wera-koloss.jpg (50KB, 616x343px) Image search: [Google]
wera-koloss.jpg
50KB, 616x343px
>>1178995
My Koloss is probably my favorite general-use tool because it feels so great to hold it two handed, but that drawer of screwdrivers is getting me rather flustered right now.
>>
I'm only just now getting into making things since I could never afford the time or cost of tools. Now I can't because of major financial shit happening but am still being frivolous in the hopes of selling things I make, wood carvings, furniture and tabletop crafts/ mini terrain.
Best deal was probably an old Black & Decker miter saw I found at the local thrift store for $70. It was reduced to $50 when I next checked it and got it 3 days before leaving for winter break.Just recently got new blades for it to make it work properly and have been messing around with wood working constantly since then.

Also a large self-healing cutting mat for crafts, was using lots of cardboard before that came and dulled alot of blades as a result. HAd the thing for less than a year and have worked it so hard it looks like I've had it for 5.
>>
>>1179046
I want one of these, but I've got so many ratchets already that I'm struggling to justify it
>>
File: weramemed.jpg (1018KB, 1224x1632px) Image search: [Google]
weramemed.jpg
1018KB, 1224x1632px
>>1178995
just fell for the Wera meme
but not so mutch started buying hard handle Wera screwdrivers(the cheapest wera line - it like the price range as the meme brands), mostly to add to my tools first the sizes i em missing or dont have as screwdriver(99% of drivers i have are flat heads mostly from local nolonger existing brands) so Philips, Torx, PZ etc i want as first or what my budget alows. So far the ones i buyd are good and build quality is fine too. Also these ones are mede in Czech no idea if there is a difference.
>>
Makita cordless everything fein multitool hitachi miter saws. Recently bought festool rotex sander and ct 48. Best investment in tools so far. Also if you ever need to buy a flooring stapler buy primatech
>>
>>1178995
>>1179324
Mirin them screwdrivers, jelly desu.
>>
>>1179461
the hard handels are cheap 2-3€ pice
the set in pic cost like 15-16€ best
also more gumy = more expesive acording to wera kek
>>
>>1179324
German designed, Czech manufactured. Are you in the US? I'm(OP) slowly building sets by watching for Amazon price errors to grab $3 meme handled/$5 stainless.
>>
>>1179612
nah, more like to the right of the czech border(small bro of Czech)
i go to a hardware store they have almost all the types/sets probably so i buy there gona finish the blac handels first tneh i go for the red handels - the chaepest electical drivers i gon a set from meme brand and almost destroyed a smaler driver on a screw - never again gona buy meme brands drivers that i wana use often same goes for bits probalby gona buy hardened ones or go for the wera wira ones
>>
>>1179003
Are you me?
>>
File: IMAG0330.jpg (842KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0330.jpg
842KB, 1920x1080px
>>1179461
>>
File: IMG_20141102_213638357-L.jpg (228KB, 338x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141102_213638357-L.jpg
228KB, 338x600px
>>1179780
Unlikely.

Just means you don't have shit-taste in tools and value.
>>
>>1179003
>replace the cheap-as-shit plastic surround with tile.
Is there any functional advantage to tile over a cheap plastic surround? It definitely looks better, but it seems like a lot of maintenance.
>>
File: DSC_0783.jpg (576KB, 937x1400px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0783.jpg
576KB, 937x1400px
Mechanican reporting in. Just finishing up building this folding side shelf, needs another brace for the monitor mount.
>>
File: DSC_0791.jpg (573KB, 1004x1500px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0791.jpg
573KB, 1004x1500px
>>
File: i-5L55Nxw-L.jpg (36KB, 338x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-5L55Nxw-L.jpg
36KB, 338x600px
>>1180585
Biggest issue i've had with the cheap-shit tub surround in there now, is that the temp cycles from the shower warp and twist the plastic, which separates it from the caulk, causing leaks.

I'm remodeling to sell the place. Cement board, mortar, grout/sealer, and tile are all pretty cheap... and the place looks much nicer with it vs. a plastic drop-in surround.
And tile really isn't that hard to do.

Replaced the caulk with duct tape for now, kek...

>and fuck that jetted tub, what a motherfucker to clean
>>
>>1179050

Small wooden things like childrens furniture, old fashioned wood toys, etc sell well and at reasonable prices.

I cannot into /diy/ because I got bitched at for saving and recycling aluminum cans because of the noise.

If you're lucky enough to call the shots try to respect peoples ears. I'm virtually deaf because my dad was a sound engineer. Ended up owning his own recording and production studio before he died young
>>
File: JS120_hero_bare.png (363KB, 630x723px) Image search: [Google]
JS120_hero_bare.png
363KB, 630x723px
this a good jigsaw?
the shape of it looks pretty nice
>>
>>1180538
are that the Red bull weras?
>>1180590
>>1180592
looks nice
what PC(diagnostic) and monitor are you gona put int there?
>>
>>1180678
I can't attest to the power on their 12v, but every review I've seen has liked Bosch jigsaws.
>>1180705
>are that the Red bull weras?
2016 Wera advent calendar. Red Bull ones have blue on them(on the hard bits I think?).
>>
File: DSC_0787.jpg (670KB, 1400x937px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0787.jpg
670KB, 1400x937px
>>1180705
We use laptops, I have a dock for it that pops the display up on a monitor/enables a separate keyboard and mouse. Just going to use the biggest monitor that's lying around the shop, probably a 24 inch

>>1180705
>>1180750
>Red Bull Weras
I saw those and thought they were cool, figured I would pick up a 6 piece Torx set. There is none! How many flathead and phillips fasteners do you think there are on an F1 car? I'd wager zero.
>>
File: werabull.jpg (82KB, 961x853px) Image search: [Google]
werabull.jpg
82KB, 961x853px
>>1180804
damn i want that screwdriver set
dunno why they make only standard screwdriver set and then only the bit sets and ratchet set in Red Bull
>>
File: IMAG0331.jpg (948KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0331.jpg
948KB, 1080x1920px
>>1180804
>dat Wiha set
Those nicely organized trays are the only reason I'm semi considering Wiha over finishing up my Wera stuff.
>>
>>1180877
they do holders for the screw drivers but they are a bit meh
wish they did sets from same kind like Torx set whit all sizes, only philips or only flat head all sizes or all the fine screwdrivers in ssame kind sets or wha ever triggers my OCD .. like the standars screw driver sets they sell you get 4 flat hed and then you get 2 Philips(1 an 2) or PHs (1 and 2) when you need them both you need to get them separetly mfg
>>
File: germantoolsmasterrace2.jpg (4MB, 5047x2839px) Image search: [Google]
germantoolsmasterrace2.jpg
4MB, 5047x2839px
german electrician reporting in:

those are my tools at home i use for my hobby work and mr. electrician, would you be so kind to check my outlet?

mostly german quality tools:

Wiha
Knipex
Weidmüller
Proxxon
Bosch
Cimco
Beha

If you got any questions - ask away.
>>
File: germantoolsmasterrace1.jpg (3MB, 5259x2959px) Image search: [Google]
germantoolsmasterrace1.jpg
3MB, 5259x2959px
>>1180919

and these are the beds they're sleeping in:

Big Case for the big job, small case for the small job.

As you see in the first pic i got everything in small and big size - guess which tool belongs where?
>>
File: DSC_0784.jpg (766KB, 1500x1004px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0784.jpg
766KB, 1500x1004px
>>1180877
It's a nice set but takes up a lot of room in my box, I think I'm going to make a way to store them vertically in the top of my box and take the inch pattern stuff home since I only use metric

>>1180919
Man electricians are getting fancy over there, when I was an electrician all I ever had was a hole hawg, a hammer, some Klein dykes and linemans pliers, wire strippers, a few screwdrivers, and a cordless drill. What are you working on hot that you need all the insulated tools for?
>>
>>1180925

I sometimes "work hot" (230V) at outlets and switches, but most of the time i cut off the electrical connection.

Sorry for my bad english - vodka tonic running good.
>>
File: rotary plane_collaged.jpg (2MB, 1867x1049px) Image search: [Google]
rotary plane_collaged.jpg
2MB, 1867x1049px
Bought a weird Japanese "rotary" plane off ebay. Going to clean the rust off the metal parts and have my friend translate the manual (just a sheet of paper) later.

It's not wood, it's plastic made to look like wood with a metal sole that is in pretty good condition considering the rust on the top parts. I think it's called a razor plane? Since it does not have a full, proper iron but a smaller blade. There's a little storage compartment with a packet of spare (non-rusted) blades and a shitty hex key for the screw that holds the blade and cap iron. It doesn't fit in with all the rust in the way, but it's a thumbscrew so it doesn't really matter.

No idea how old it is - there's no contact info on the instruction sheet and searching for "rotary plane" gives me jack. I'd guess late 80s as doubtful earliest, probably at least mid-90s or early 2000s.
>>
>>1180925
>those two not-Snap-on ratchets
Gearwrench maybe?
Looks like the Snap-on's soft-grip handle is installed upside down. Or the head, maybe.
>>
>>1180919
>mostly german quality tools
I enjoy that you wrote it as "german quality tools" instead of "quality German tools".
>>1180925
Your organization is giving me a boner. Mind posting the rest of your box? What are those three shotgun shell looking things on the right, the red/yellow/blue things?
>>
File: memeelectrician.jpg (410KB, 980x735px) Image search: [Google]
memeelectrician.jpg
410KB, 980x735px
>>1180919
>>1180921
jely
if i had cash....
i only have thies meme screwdrivers :( (most of my tools have like 500-1000V isolations so they are fine - plyers stripers etc) - pic releted ze memes - gona probably replace them with Weras soon or later
>>1180925
i work too with live wires when i replace somthing(outlets,light switches mostly too) in house so its good to have isolated tools if you know what you doing - its like 1 wire you need to watch out(or just put tape on it), mostly i just unscrew it a put it in the new one as first
>>
>>1180925
Hey, bub, just wanted to let you know my Pittsburgh ratchet is still going strong with daily abuse and many bolts freed from over 200ft lbs. Still haven't had to warranty mine like you did.
>>
File: DSC_0786.jpg (716KB, 1500x1004px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0786.jpg
716KB, 1500x1004px
>>1180939
Yeah they are Gearwrench, my Snap On 1/4 is living under a customers seat somewhere. I did put the handle on backwards years ago and haven't fixed it, have to rebuild the whole thing though, blew it up last week, I'll fix it then.

>>1180943
Sure but I don't have pics of my bottom drawers which hold combo wrenches, hammers, grinders, dremel, pretty much all my stuff for working on fucked up cars. Those are wheel protector sockets for fancy wheels/expensive lug bolts.

>>1180960
You have the wrong guy, never have owned a Pittsburgh ratchet, but I think their Pro ratches are about the same as Gearwrench if not exactly the same.
>>
>>1181021
Nah. I'm the one that keeps proving you wasted money on snap on bullshit. And you kept trying to tell me how my ratchet was going to fail, and you used the example that you kept breaking your ratchet by using it wrong. So I decided to use my Pittsburgh wrong on purpose, and it's nothing but solid. Thanks for proving that you're a complete brand whore retard that wastes hundreds of dollars on tools that should cost $25.99.
>>
>>1181027
Case in point, that multi hundred dollar trim tool set >>1181021. Something that is literally replaced by a few Walmart flat head screwdrivers, and strong fingers.
>>
>>1181027
Not sure who you think I am, but it's someone else. I've only posted on this board a few times. I've broken (not really broken, the selector is just starting to slip) one ratchet in my over a decade career, that flex head 3/8 in the pic, after not rebuilding it for over 10 years, and it was last week so safe to say I haven't "broken my ratchet by using it wrong"
>>1181030
The trim tool set is 14 bucks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-pc-Trim-Removal-Kit-Door-Panels-Molding-Clip-Interior-Wedge-Tool-Set-/291874441585?hash=item43f5128971:g:HbUAAOSwNRdX2XKF

If I used flat head screwdrivers to pry trim panels off I would not have my job anymore, marring trim pieces is not an option on the cars I work on
>>
>>1181040
If you're going to pretend to be someone else, stop posting the same pictures. Also I know you paid the strap on man a couple hundred for that trim tool set.
>>
I love my Makita powertools. It's just a shame they're all a billion dollhairs.

Try to buy secondhand.
>>
>>1180877
>every screw driver is the same fucking colour
how do you find the right one in a hurry?
>>
>>1181086
Keep 'em organized and know your tools. Past that, I've never encountered the situation where I have only seconds left to defuse a bomb, but need to take out one more screw, and it's a T6 that's juuust slightly stripped enough that I can't make it work when I accidentally grab a T5.
>>
>Let Co-worker borrow my tool
>They come back covered in black oil and magnetized
>>
>>1181226
>let uncle chainsaw to chop somthing at old house
>chainsaw comes back dirty and covered in mud and with a dull chain
>dick cut a fucking stump in ground with it
>spend like hour to clean it
>but anon he needed it
>tell him never loan him tools ever - mnfg lose part of grandpass tools when the asshole sold the old house(whitch pissed me even more loved the house)

morale of the story never lend you tools not even to your family (also over here white people behave worse then niggers-or more like gypsis, black people are rarity)

olso pro typ mar your tools with somthing like color or your mark(logo or what ever) so you can easy identyfi them
>>1181021
>>1180925
damn i like thise organizers and snapon style aestetics
>>1181086
the weras are labeled the big ones from the top lines have even labels on the at the top
>>
>>1180657
Thanks for the suggestion, sucks that you can't recycle or make stuff with noise, Seems really fucked actually.
>>
File: IMG_20170523_010633.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170523_010633.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
who /Ryobi/ here?

wont break the bank but will get the job done and has a better selection than any other budget homeowner brand.
>>
>>1181458
Ryobi is an ugly color. I don't know what they were thinking. Usually the Japanese brands pull nice colors from nature and shit but it just looks bad.

It could be a nice bright wasabi color and still be highly visible.
>>
>>1180590
hey would you recommend a snap on tool box over a craftsman one?
>>
>>1181481
Snap On is overkill if you aren't a professional. Either way I wouldn't recommend a Craftsman box, check out the Harbor Freight boxes, the Costco Stainless boxes branded Trinity (though the drawer depths are kind of wonk), or look for a used Matco/Mac/Snap On on craigslist or ebay, they go for cheap sometimes.
>>
>>1181458
>better selection than any other budget homeowner brand.
Better selection than pretty much anything. It ain't high-end stuff, but they certainly have the most exciting lineup.
>>
>>1181478
because the name is just a license and has nothing else to do with the company
>>
>>1181458
wait Ryobi makes Rotohammers?
>>
>>1181458
I'm no completionist but haven't had a problem with anything they made. My oldest drill still sorta works,.but my.wife fucked the bearing in it using it clean out gourds with a lot of lateral force.

I have grown annoyed at large drills though and have been jonesing for a Milwaukee screwdriver deal. I think i will be able to avoid it though. I have little justification for it. Hand tools are fine for 99% of my screwing.
>>
>>1181619
if you want small drills this set is the way to go, by far your best bang for your buck and loads of power out of compact 12v batteries.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-FUEL-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-1-2-in-Hammer-Drill-Driver-and-Impact-Combo-Kit-with-6-0Ah-Battery-2597-22-48-11-2460/301547271
>>
>>1181608
Dude, Ryobi makes EVERYTHING.
>>
File: 1402.jpg (943KB, 1417x1311px) Image search: [Google]
1402.jpg
943KB, 1417x1311px
>>1181021
those screwdrivers, those are snap-ons right? Aren't those grips uncomfortable and slippery? They look small as well

Personally own a load of Wiha, Wera and PB. PB > Wera > Wiha imho though the wiha grips (big ones) are very comfy. Got a Wera lasertip set and the tips just scratch easy. PB's tips on the contrary are fucking 10/10, own a bunch of PB's from my grandpa, >30+ years, PH still usable.

Actually trying to figure out if my next set should be the Softfinish grips or the acetate grips. Those soft finish ones are comfortable and easier to use but the classic acetates just look like they are gonna outlast a whole generation
>>
>>1181973
They're just some cheapo Taiwan screwdrivers. I really only use the flatheads as pry tools and almost never use the phillips, and for Torx I generally use a cordless tool for anything T20 and above, so I don't really need comfortable/higher end mid size screwdrivers (aside from the Wiha set for electronics).
>>
>>1182037

Wiha's the shit, check out >>1180919
>>
>>1181458
How's the cordless grinder?

Mostly want to run wire and San wheels, with light cutting of square section...
>>
Is Irwin a good brand in general, are they a 1-trick pony where I should just get some things and avoid others or are they all hype and no substance?
>>
>>1182314
They're the best you'll find in local chains, but there are better. The exception are their German made pliers with different grips, those are NWS rebrands.
>>
>>1182314
Their sawzall blades are trash. Only real experience I've had with them.
>>
>>1182245
it does the job of a "cordless grinder", but there are better cordless options out there and even a cheap $30 corded Ryobi blows it away in power and RPM. only reason i got it was for flush cutting the heads of stainless steel anchor bolts in places where corded tools arnt an option; if i were doing a big project at a bench id go for a corded one every time.
>>
>>1182314
They are a no trick pony
They have cut so many corners on pretty much every tool they make they are vastly overpriced for what you get.
>>
>>1182686
I only have their speedbor wood bits and those seem fine to me, which is why I asked. Unless they're actually trash and I don't know good bits.
>>
>>1182692
They cost nearly as much as Bosch daredevil bits, but arent anywhere near the same quality.

Most people talking about Irwin clamor about official branded ViseGrips, which are soft and shitty nowadays
>>
>>1182712
I got mine for free so I really can't complain about them.
>>
File: 692042007712.jpg (71KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
692042007712.jpg
71KB, 900x900px
I need a cordless jigsaw. I already don't like jigsaws because my old shitty one is old and shitty, so in trying to minimize shittyness, and play to their only real strength, maneuverability, I'm going cordless. What should I get?

Kobalt 24v (21.6v nominal) for around $90:
>Pros:
>More volts more better
>Batteries are the cheapest of any respectable brand and I have a few
>Has non-marring cover on foot
>LED
>Dust blower
>Best warranty, 5 years, all done in-store
>Brushless
>Cons:
>It's Kobalt, so there will probably be some minor niggly thing that makes it less perfect.
>less visibility than the other options, but not terribly so

DeWalt 20v (18v nominal) for around $140:
>Pros:
>Dewalt almost always wins in how they feel
>non-marring shoe
>Cons:
>I only have two 1.5Ah batteries for it.
>No LED, lowest visibility.

Porter Cable 20v (18v nominal) for $60 bare tool, $100 2x 1.3Ah battery kit:
>Pros:
>Cheapest, or almost the cheapest but comes with batteries and a bag.
>Does well in reviews, even up against the DeWalt
>Gets me more batteries for a brand I always consider when I need something new(They're cheap and decent!)
>Most visibility
>Cons:
>Lowest SPM, 2,500, 500 lower than Kobalt/DeWalt, 300 lower than Milwaukee
>No LED.

Milwaukee 18v for $130:
>Pros:
>I have 5Ah batteries already.
>5 year warranty
>non-marring shoe
>Cons:
>Never seems to come out on top in reviews.

Actually in talking through it I'm kind of leaning towards Porter Cable and Kobalt. Thoughts?
>>
>>1182813
>play to their only real strength, maneuverability
The tool itself will be lighter and more maneuverable in a corded version than a similar cordless with battery because it doesn't have to carry its power supply around with it. Cordless offers an advantage in portability, not typically maneuverability.

But to your cordless choices: I have the DeWalt, and I like it. It has a blower to clear dust from the cutting path, which you might like. It mostly comes down to what you'll be doing with it and the features that would actually benefit you.

Also, "nominal" means that something is called x, whether or not it actually is x. the 20V lines are nominally 20V (that's what they're named), but actually produce 18V under load.
>>
>>1182813
just to throw it out there Home Depot has a deal going right now where you buy a Ryobi 18v drill kit with 2 batteries and a charger for $100 and they throw in a bare tool for free, with the jig saw ($60 on its own) being one of the options.

>>1182835
as far as im concerned 20v tools are 18v just like everything else, its just a marketing gimmick.
>>
>>1182835
Sorry, yeah, I get mixed up on nominal. On maneuverability, I'm factoring in that I'll mostly use it in the garage which has only one outlet that I use extension cords off of, and fuck cords, so getting in tight corners isn't an issue, but snagging on something is.
>>1183197
20v Stanley Black & Decker stuff is have marketing wank, and half actually a good idea to list that way. They had 18v NiCad, now they have 18v Li-ion, but customers are idiots, so just make the newer better stuff sound better. That Ryobi deal is super tempting though, it lets me get the cordless glue gun they carry. Anyone have complaints or praise for their cordless jigsaws?
>>
>>1183197
Are Ryobis good enough for home use?
>>
>>1180705
https://www.kctoolco.com/tool-of-the-day/
The Red Bull Wera's are on sale today!
>>
>>1183250
54 dolaritos? they go for around 33€ over here
>>
>>1183197
>>as far as im concerned 20v tools are 18v

They ARE 18v in their normal rated capacity, the batteries can hit a peak of 20v under max load.
The Milwaukee and Makita and other 18vs will also sometimes hit 20v under load too.
It's pure marketing horse shit, like peak wattage vs rms wattage in stereos.
>>
>>1183257
Isn't the peak voltage under no load?
>>
is it worth it to buy full nut-drivers, i already have a set of 1/4 hex shank nut-driver heads ?
>>
>>1183224
thats entirely what they're designed for. you'll be laughed off the jobsite for pulling out a bright green drill but they have the widest variety of tools of any home use brand and are tough enough to last for years and years of light use around the house.
>>
>>1183257
>>1183267
It's peak voltage not under load. All 18v batteries will sit at 20v when fully charged and not doing anything but when under load will drop to 18v
>>
>>1182813
Wait a couple weeks until father's day sales kick in. June is usually best month for buying new tools because of that (aside from black friday).
>>
>>1183288
Awesome. Thinking about getting them for my home tools
>>
File: garage shop.jpg (319KB, 1267x950px) Image search: [Google]
garage shop.jpg
319KB, 1267x950px
Not pictured: Bosch 12 inch miter saw, DeWalt jobsite table saw with pop up stand
>>
>>1183472
:^) bet you hate DeWalt
also nice shop
>>
>>1183472
>all this nail/staple guns
You're Mexican, aren't you?
>>
>>1183726
Oh come on, we know they don't own planers, or finish nailers.
>>
>>1183726
He just bought a shitty pancake air compressor kit that came with the guns
>>
>>1181458
Just bought a drill and impact drill set and other than not having a light I'm quite happy with the drills, especially for the $100 I paid for them. Looking forward to getting the rotary tool for doing drywall and the like.

I work renovations doing demo and cleanup stuff, drywall, electrical, some plumbing etc.
>>
>>1182245
Even good cordless grinders don't have the balls of a good corded grinder due to the nature of their job. Get a good 6-inch capacity corded grinder so you can run 6" cutting discs and still run 4.5" flap wheels etc. My Metabo 150 is love but Makitas are nice too.
>>
>>1178995
The rubber on those breaks down real bad like
>>
>>1183899
wera makes hard and wood handles
its your problem using the wrong tool for the job also they are made to work not last forever(and what moron uses soft grip - gummy shiat in oily or other wise gumy corrosive enviroment)
;-; have only 4 hard handles so far
>>
>>1183933
Calm your shit, I just give that advice every time I see rubber like that.
The reason I worded it like that is because half the time I see these screwdrivers in a video the rubber is pitted down into concave shapes
>>
>>1183691

I have a hookup for employee pricing. It's hard to beat.
>>
File: allclean (Large).jpg (166KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
allclean (Large).jpg
166KB, 1440x1080px
I use my stuff professionally and also for my own diy/hobby use. Mostly Swiss made machinery, some german stuff.
>>
File: KTC Nepros Urushi.png (955KB, 940x929px) Image search: [Google]
KTC Nepros Urushi.png
955KB, 940x929px
>>
File: Mitutoyo Caliper.png (1MB, 1280x793px) Image search: [Google]
Mitutoyo Caliper.png
1MB, 1280x793px
>>
File: Motorcycle Tools.png (2MB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Motorcycle Tools.png
2MB, 900x1200px
>>
File: Tool Companies.png (717KB, 1120x740px) Image search: [Google]
Tool Companies.png
717KB, 1120x740px
So what store brand offers the best quality/price on ratchet/wrench sets? Husky, Kobalt, or Harbor Freight?
>>
>>1180678
No, it's bad, because "Bosch" can be easily corrupted to "Borscht" (I don't understand how that's meant to be disparaging?) or "Botch".
>>
>>1180590
Are you actually a Ferrari mechanic?
>>1181481
I like my bigger craftsmen box with ball bearing drawers.
You can definitely feel the build difference though when you open a snap on or mac toolbox. They can handle more weight, are sexy smooth pull feeling and drawers are deeper. Unless you're a mechanic I wouldn't spend the extra money. They're so friggin pricey.
>>
>>1184435
>>1184446
>>
>>1181226
REEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1181021
What are those organizers called? I want to buy them.
>>1181030
That is how you destroy an interior. Customers don't like that and you'd get fired.
>>
>>1184446
If cost is a factor and you have spare time on weekends then you can't do better than estate sales. Everyone and their granddad has old socket and wrench sets in the garage. I've paid as little as 10 cents a pop for sockets. SK, Craftsman (not the Taiwanese stuff), Thorsen, Indestro, Blackhawk, Plomb/Proto, Williams, etc. I picked up a very old SK 1/4 inch drive set for $10 just yesterday. It came with a box, a ratchet, a cute little breaker bar, an extension, a driver handle and 12 sockets.
>>
>>1181458
My mother loves her one+ system. Is the impact strong enough for lug nuts?
>>
File: Veto Pro Pac.png (2MB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
Veto Pro Pac.png
2MB, 1200x900px
>>1184479

Old tools don't offer the same ergonomics of even the cheapest modern store brand tools. Growing up poor has made me hate struggling with old and uncomfortable tools.
>>
>>1183282
If you're asking, probably not. Get a good driver with changeable bits.
>>1183288
I really don't think they're that bad looking.
>>1183472
Looks good.
>>1183726
Those don't look stolen to me kek
>>1184093
What do you make anon?
>>1184435
Wtf?
>>1184437
I bought a no name brand to save a few bucks and I wish I didn't. The feel of the slide action sucks.
>>1184440
Very organized but looks so busy. My ocd can't take it.
>>1184479
>I picked up a very old SK 1/4 inch drive set for $10 just yesterday. It came with a box, a ratchet, a cute little breaker bar, an extension, a driver handle and 12 sockets.

Jelly as fuck. Where did you buy it, that's a steal.
>>
>>1184446
HF PRO ratchets and Kobalt roto ratchets are my favorites. I havent tried the 100 tooth husky ratchets yet though.

Kobalt sockets are probably the best of the three, but are the most expensive. HF sockets are pretty good too, and a great price.

For basic wrenches I have a taiwanese kobalt set and it's good. Husky is all chinese. they could be decent but I haven't tried them. I think all of HF's standard wrenches are made in india. I havent tried them because they look like shit and the box ends are very roughly made.
>>
>>1184458
Used to be, went to another brand about a year ago

>>1184477
Black plier rack I think is Ernst, green one is Snap On, screwdriver racks are Goliath
>>
>>1184491
as long as the gorilla mechanic didnt impact them on full blast
>>
>>1184491
it has 300ft/lb of torque in speed 3, great for lag screws and stuck bolts and will blow any 1/4in impact driver out of the water but its easily outspec'd by most pneumatic tools so you run into trouble when you come across something that was put on at a maintinence shop where techs run fast and loose with their wrenches (came across that issue today with a lawnmower blade bolt, had to cut the whole damn thing off).

top end cordless Milwaukees and Snap On impact wrenches put out 3-4 times as much torque so people should look to those for getting serious business done; like most Ryobi stuff its just good to have around the house if a bit of serious torque is suddenly needed and you dont feel like wrenching with a socket all day.
>>
>>1184532
I make watches
>>
File: 1492560168330.jpg (120KB, 1300x1040px) Image search: [Google]
1492560168330.jpg
120KB, 1300x1040px
I am buying a full set of battery powered tools now. What should I buy? I know Makita, Dewalt, and Milwaukee are popular.
>>
>>1184641
The questions to ask yourself are:
Do I make a living with these tools?
Do I like more tools, or more abuse-able tools?
Do I worry about tools getting stolen from jobsites, or bastards 'borrowing' your batteries?
Does Brand X carry a (insert specific tool here)?

If you earn a living with the tools, then you might want to go Makita/Dewalt/Milwaukee/Bosch/AEG.

If you like multi-use, abusable tools - ie you'd rather have a drill with hammer action, and put up with slow drilling and just lean on it heavier because that's easier than going to the truck to get the SDS rotary hammer, I'd suggest Dewalt, as their batteries are tweaked towards higher current delivery, so you can force them to do things they are not the best tool for.

However, if you like a range of tools because you are seldom 150 meters up in the air on an aerial mast so it's not 10 minutes of your time to go and pick up the impact driver instead of using the drill, then you can start worrying about other things. If you have common trade brands and you work on jobsites, one day some thieving bastard will pinch your brand new 5 amp hour battery pack, leaving his knackered one in its place. Flipside to this is that you can be that thieving bastard.

The next thing to worry about is cost. If you need a spread of tools, and you like using the proper tool for a job, then consider Ryobi - their cordless stuff is quite good, and when you think you can afford to get a drill, an impact driver, and an SDS hammer drill for the price of a DeWalt Hammer drill and impact driver, it looks even more attractive.

For sheer range, it seems that Milwaukee have that well covered, but check to see if whatever brand you are interested in has that one tool you really need.

You'll still be paying a premium price for brushless tools - with this, it's worth asking if you want to pay about 30-40% more for your brushless tool to get 30-40% more runtime, or if you want to buy an extra battery for 100% more runtime.
>>
>>1184675
Thank you for your helpful response. I am currently just doing woodworking and handyman work as a hobby but I have also started taking orders and building things for people and may start to make steady living off of it. I guess for the range of things I will look at getting a Milwaukee Impact driver, Drill, Angle Grinder, and Circular saw to start. Thanks again anon
>>
>>1184675
>one day some thieving bastard will pinch your brand new 5 amp hour battery pack, leaving his knackered one in its place

This makes me want to engrave all my tools and spray paint the batteries.
>>
>>1184790
Open them up and put RFID stickers inside too.
>>
>>1183965
sorry, long nights
>>1184087
lucky bastard :(
>>1184440
>>1184513
stop giving me boner
>>
Any of you ever work on an air compressor? The inflow tube to the tank on my is dented. It was ran in a way that it stick out asking to get damaged and they weaved it in a retarded way making it needlessly long.

Of course a replacement costs $40+.

Any reason i couldn't rerun this tube? Pretty sure i can reconnect with a few 45° angles using some sort of steel pipe. Does the distance and material actually come into play somehow?
>>
>>1184730
If you're getting a cordless angle grinder and full sized 7 1/4" circular saw, then Milwaukee is one of the only two brands even worth considering. The only other brand that comes close to corded performance for those two in cordless is DeWalt's 60v FLEXVOLT stuff. That said, do you REALLY need those two cordless? Makita's hypoid saw is only around $160, and even with a big battery pack, you won't get a ton of life on an angle grinder.

AvE on YouTube did a teardown comparison of the Milwaukee 9Ah battery vs the equivalent DeWalt FLEXVOLT, and he also has a review of the FLEXVOLT angle grinder. Worth watching.
>>
>>1184730
Home Depot shill here, if you are planning on getting a bunch of Milwaukee stuff right now head over to HD and you can get a few good deals from their M18 Fuel line.

first off, dont get the $1000 6-piece combo set, its a waste of money. the circular saw is only a 6 1/2in model and most of them have been sitting around at stores for years; they either have dead batteries or are the older models that only come with 4.0ah batteries.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Brushless-Hammer-Drill-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-with-5-0-and-2-0-Batteries-2-Tool-2897-22CX/300879377

try to find this $299 Special Buy drill set in stores, it gives you their best hammer drill and impact with 5.0 and 2.0 batteries, plus right now they will throw in a second 5.0 battery for free.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Brushless-Lithium-Ion-7-1-4-in-Cordless-Circular-Saw-and-Sawzall-with-9-0Ah-Starter-Kit-2731-20-2720-20-48-59-1890/301723464

after that there is another promotion where you buy two Fuel tools and you get a 9.0ah battery and charger for free; you'll probobly want to grab the sawzall and circular saw like this set. Milwaukee's 5in Fuel grinder is also pretty nice (they get stolen a lot so they must be good) and you can grab one separately for $169.

in total that will give you the best versions of the 5 main tools from the combo pack plus a second charger, 2.0 battery and 9.0 battery for $100 less.
>>
>>1184641

Milwaukee or DeWalt IMO. They both have extensive lines and the tools are good.

I wouldn't bother with Ryobi. It's not that the line is terrible it's that they cut costs with materials/parts to get cost down. They're not cheaper just because they're looking to make less money.
>>
>>1185115
The "other company" totally doesn't charge more because they want to make more money.
>>
File: 20170529_210730.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170529_210730.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
Gonna post a couple wrenches that I got at an estate sale someone was going to throw away:

This is a 10" JP Danielson Co probably made pre 1920. Can't find any particulars though. Don't collect them but fuck it, was in perfect shape with a wood handle.
>>
File: 20170529_210908.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170529_210908.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1185147

Looked it up and didn't see another one of these with just the
JP Danielson Co
USA
Jamestown NY

so the age is TBD
>>
File: 20170529_210706.jpg (1MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
20170529_210706.jpg
1MB, 3024x4032px
>>1185149

This was on the side of the dude's barn. City is going to re-claim his property and tear everything down to restore fish habitat or something. Still works fine even though everything has a rusty patina. Probably not going to fuck with it, just sprayed it with some CRC 36
>>
File: 20170529_210426.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170529_210426.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
Also got one of these Anton Wingen Jr stag hunting? knives for a few bucks. Probably not going to fuck with it either as it's in fine shape, just the handle is very slightly loose. Anyone know how to tighten it and/or lightly clean it?
>>
File: 20170529_210630.jpg (968KB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170529_210630.jpg
968KB, 4032x3024px
>>1185159

Bottom
>>
File: 20170529_210623 (1).jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170529_210623 (1).jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>1185161
>>
>>1185159
>>1185161
>>1185162

....uh dude?

Those knives are worth upwards of 500 grand. This has to be something you google image searched.
>>
>>1185180
There's several on eBay right now for under $80. Quit trying to roil people up.
>>
>>1184568
I have torque sticks. I hate faggots that don't over torque.
>>1184605
Well yeah, air tools are very powerful and I miss shop air.
>>1184614
Neat
>>
>>1184093
one of the danish guys was handscraping the exact same compound rest on the machine rebuilding course i went to, your oil grooves are straight T's instead of Z's which is honestly the most spastic thing schaublin ever did.
>>
Ok lets go through some FACTS.
>Makita have the best cords
>DeWalt are the best battery powered SYSTEM to invest in
>Sawstop is a scam
>Old lathes, drillpresses, bandsaws, and belt sanders are superior to anything you can buy today
>Kobalt is now superior to craftsman
>Snapon, Proto, and MAC are unnecessary unless you are a wage slave

Anything I'm missing?
>>
I got a set of Irwin chisels and a erbauer buscuit cutter and a bench vice today xD
>>
>>1186159
Why a biscuit cutter? Biscuits are worthless and everyone has known it since the 90s. They do not add any extra strength over a butt joint that is well glued. If you really want to add extra surface area to a joint use hardwood dowels.
>>
>>1186146
Do matco, I like their stuff.
>>
>>1186131
Oh great, now I have to learn what scraping is. Thanks a lot m8.
>>
>>1186169
Same as snapon, proto, and mac. They are great tools, don't get me wrong; but unless you work with your hands 40+ hours a week, they are unnecessary. Just get craftsman and when you break a ratchet, socket, or whatever else, take it to the store and get it replaced no questions asked for free. Of course, every single time I go to replace a tool it seems like their quality is even lower than the previous time, for a homeowner they are more than enough to do some oil changes and rotate some tires.
>>
>>1186173
Aww, I was hoping you'd rip into them comedian style. But you're halfway right, I bought mostly matco stuff while wrenching for 15 years, and it was nice stuff for way too much money. Now that I've moved on to better easier work I sold the matco stuff for damn near what I bought it for. I only do mechanic work as a side business now and the half right comes from the fact that I've replaced literally everything with tools from harbor freight, and they're performing very well for brake jobs every weekend, and heavy shit like engines, trannys, differentials, about once a month.
>>
>>1186168
helps keep it lined up
>>
>>1186199
So does not sucking at woodworking.
>>
>>1186146
I don'tknow Makita to contest that, but the DeWalt is kinda dependant on use case. If forced to decide with no info, I'd probably agree though.
>>
>>1186245
I saw Dewalt is the best system because of widspread availability, wide selection of tools, and good long term support. If I ONLY was buying one or two battery powered tools I would pick and choose brands. With DeWalt if I need several drills, a hammer drill, circular saw, sawzaw, etc.

As for Makita, their cords are really thick, but very flexible. They feel and behave like natural rubber.
>>
>>1186173

Does that Craftsman warranty still exist now that they're owned by Stanley Black & Decker?
>>
>>1186273
I'm pretty sure, but as I mentioned my new handtools are almost all kobalt. As recently as earlier this month I had Sears replace a broken ratchet free. Mine was an OLD made in USA one I got at a flea market, it was kind of broken, so I it it with a sledge hammer to finish the job and got a brand new, made in squintland replacement. They will honor it, although IDK if their new tools come with it.
>>
>>1186173
>>1186282
Craftsman costs way too much for how shitty their tools are
>>
>>1186304
I never disagreed. I DO advocate having some of their ratchets laying around though. I use them when I have a bolt thats stuck; and I can't heat it with a torch and am too lazy to wait for penetrating oil to work. Just like 3' of steel pipe on the handle, and either break the bolt free or the ratchet. The ratchets are free to replace so its no big deal when you shear off half the teeth like this.
>>
>>1186273
That's Black & Decker/Stanley/Craftsman/DeWalt/Porter-Cable/Bostitch/Mac Tools/Guoqiang ( and about 3 dozen other companies)
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8h7ELeEFIk

Are you a tool rebel?
>>
>>1186340
I use a few specific hex head fasteners a whole lot and would wear out keys often
I bought some Wera screwdrivers in the sizes I use, held up pretty well.
Not going to be buying full screwdriver sets and what not, but I would buy a handful of other small tools from them
>>
>>1186146
Ryobi one plus eco system is extremely diverse. The tool selection and battery compatibility are fantastic. I love my setup
>>
>>1186316
just get a breaker bar, jesus. You probably pay more in gas for all the trips to Sears replacing tools.

Sears fucked up big time with their only good asset. Craftsman used to mean something. I know they're in financial trouble but get rid of all the other bullshit like electronics and clothes if you have to so you can protect the brand. If it takes becoming a tool store to survive, do it.
>>
>>1186472
>I know they're in financial trouble but get rid of all the other bullshit like electronics and clothes if you have to so you can protect the brand.

Nah, its smarter to just make everything in china while raising your prices, and then lose your exclusivity to sears and start selling in different hardware stores.

Too bad it didnt work out well, as seen by the sale to Stanley
>>
>>1186340
kek
so far 5 weras probably gona buy all the stuff for 2-4€ the chizsel and isolated i want for sure
only thing that bugs me they dont have whole sets of them, saw a guy on youtube with all the precizions screwdrivers like 60+ of them needed years to get tme all
they allways sel sets like 4 flathead 2 philips or 2 PZ only thing i saw almost whole was a nut driver set
pic releted Wiha set is a mus go for me if i want do electronics more but with no budget its not easy, so i buy just small stuff :(
>>
Does anyone else have stories as to how a certain brand got then "hooked?"

I was doing a part time gig at a local industrial operation after I got out of high school. We were taking apart old systems that were dated and not being used any more. Often times we had to cut through old rusted fasteners, but we were only allowed to use a dewalt cordless reciprocal saw because anything that made a lot of sparks required a hot work permit.

We had two of those saws and about a dozen batteries in total, and we abused the ever loving fuck out of them. Some times we'd be crouched under a machine cutting off bits of steel for hours, building up a pile of dull blades while the guy up top handed you batteries when you needed them. Once your arms were thoroughly numb you'd switch out with the other guy, but that damn saw would just keep cutting away all day.
>>
Anyone have strong feelings on air compressors?

I need to upgrade. I have a craftmsan right now and its just a PITA to work on. All the threads of off standards it seems. The main threads are 5/16x24 so none of the typical parts seem to work, its also a shifty weather i can get parts going forward since craftsman was sold off.

I figure i want a compressor straight from the source without any re branding, but i don't know whats considered quality.
>>
File: IMG_20151105_204639554-L.jpg (109KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151105_204639554-L.jpg
109KB, 800x451px
>>1187801
I have a 12 gal 1hp Craftsman right now. It's been okay... needs a rebuild and head gasket every 2-3 years.

10gal slave tank in parallel helps with high-volume tools (impact, grinder), just have to watch duty cycle and let the comp cool down if comp and slave are low/empty.

My next one will probably be a Quincy 60gal, along with plumbing through the garage/shop (and maybe house).
>>
>>1187801
>>1187810

I'm the guy who posted a while ago with the giant-ass, industrial compressor pumps from craigslist.

Honestly, I feel like that's not a bad way to do it. Hit up CL or Kijiji or whatever equivalent you might have, and look for something either made for heavy use, or something that's obviously in excellent condition. People are dumping compressors there all the time.

Just picked up an 80 gallon tank today. Assuming it passes pressure testing (because I'm not stupid enough to risk blowing up something THAT big), there's no other way I could have gotten something usable anywhere near that size for $50.

Same deal for the much smaller compressor built in to my little welding/plasma cutter cart. Found some old, cast-iron pump and motor in serviceable condition, replaced the worn-out exhaust valves, and it works like new for a fraction of the new price. Only cost me some time, a bit of card stock for making new gaskets, and some shim stock for the valves.

Obviously, the downside is that you're going to have to spend some time on them, but, at the same time, it's a fairly inexpensive way to end up with something that's basically bulletproof. And, in my case, end up with more air delivery than I could ever possibly use by myself.
>>
>>1181458
>who /Ryobi/ here?

Yessir

1/2" impactgun, drill, driver, grinder. so far I'm 100% happy.

Consumer grade is just what I need and I dont feel bad treating them with total disrespect
>>
>>1180678
Don't fall for the cordless jigsaw meme, buy old Bosch and buy it with a cord.
>>
>>1187775
My cordless stuff is Bosch and Dewalt. In both cases i chose those because the tool i needed happened to be on sale on amazon at the time. Happy with both although the dewalt impact driver put out a nasty electrical burning smell for the first six months. I expect new drills to smell a bit as the brushes work the factory gunk off the motor but that dewalt was uniquely odorous. Works fine though.

Corded stuff is Makita. No particular story other than my first circ saw was a Makita and that thing remains the most durable tool i own.
>>
>>1181679
They dont have a 90° impact driver

Wish they did
>>
trying to build up my machinist tools, what should I buy? I've got;
>screw pitch gauges
>a meh caliper
>feeler gauges
>HSS endmills of various sizes
>>
>>1181458
Ryobi are okay until you have to change batteries from your drill to your driver while up a ladder. Fucking irritating.
>>
>>1188348
telescoping gauges
micrometers 0-1",1-2",2-3"
machinist squares
combination square
carbide scribe
>>
>>1188380
>telescoping gauges
>micrometers 0-1",1-2",2-3"
on it

>machinist squares
>combination square
wouldn't the machinist square be good enough?

I forgot to mention I have a center punch, scribe, transfer punches etc.
>>
>>1188381
>wouldn't the machinist square be good enough?
yeah, but it's handy to have multiple size squares that you don't adjust. usually combis are only 12" ( you can get 4" and 6" i think too )
>>
>>1188089
I've encountered the same thing with a DeWalt something smelling nasty. It seemed to work fine, but it got returned for smelling burny. Ended up getting marked down crazy cheap.
>>
>>1188115
no but Ridgid does. get a Ryobi Jobplus Base multitool

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-JobPlus-Base-with-Multi-tool-Attachment-Tool-Only-P340/202868525

and swap out the power head for a Ridgid Jobmax Right Angle impact driver

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-X4-JobMax-1-4-in-Cordless-Impact-Driver-Head-Tool-Only-R8223401/202388055

boom, gives you a Ryobi 90° impact driver.
>>
How are grizzly drill presses? Looking for an addition to my shop in the 500 USD mark.
>>
>>1188459
Taiwanese. Better than many Taiwanese drill presses but nor professional quality. If this is a home shop, yeah it will probably be just what you need. I wouldn't bother with it if you plan to use it professionally.
>>
File: IMG_1904.jpg (467KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1904.jpg
467KB, 1600x1200px
everyday until you like it :^)
>>
>>1188470
whats it feel like to have the most cutting edge tool collection of 2005?
>>
File: Schaber_1.jpg (303KB, 1620x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Schaber_1.jpg
303KB, 1620x1080px
>>1186172
Embrace the Biax life
>>
>>1183304
Ryobi for home is perfect. Cheap new and very cheap second hand. Get a 4ah battery it gives the tools more strength and pairs well with the sawzall and trimmer.
>>
>>1184435
>Urushi laquerware handle
>ratchet

Is... Is that a wood-handled ratchet? Please tell me it's some new japanese magic to apply urushi to metal. Holy fuck it looks nice but that will not last at all if it's wood and I have no idea what grease and oil does to urushi. On a utility knife or something it would be nice but goddamn do not put something decorative like that on anything that vibrates or gets torque'd.

>>1184513
You can make your own ergonomics with some wood and either a lathe or a saw and spokeshave.
>>
>>1188749

I can't comment, but I wouldn't use one of those fuckers; it would be decorative with pride of place in my shop.
>>
>>1188804
The worst kind of tool is the tool that isn't designed to be used
>>
>>1187801
Ingersoll Rand
They also make great air tools to go along with it.
>>
>>1187947
how's the impact gun? I want one for changing my snow and summer wheels and the occasional repair.
>>
>>1188826
THIS
>>
File: ARM_25-020_FRNT_MAIN_1[1].jpg (36KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ARM_25-020_FRNT_MAIN_1[1].jpg
36KB, 1200x1200px
What's up with the near-impossibility of finding a set of true 6-point wrenches anywhere? Every outlet where I live only sell those damn nut lathes with "MULTI-ROUNDER" ends.
>>
>>1186131
Seems spastic, but I've been inside quite a few 102 slides and haven't seen any wear I would relate to the oil groove design. Since the way oil is pumped in under pressure, it uses the grooves just as a passage. There's no resevoir or positive oiling other than the daily pumps. These slides also tend to make quite small movements which most way systems don't.
>>
>>1189132
I bought a six point set from Cornwell about twenty years ago. They might still make them.
>>
>>1189132
What wrenches have you been using and rounding stuff off with?

It should be almost impossible to round a nut/bolt with a good off-corner-engagement 12-point wrench. 6-point wrenches won't work sometimes because unlike with sockets you can't just rotate them to start any angle, which is why most them are 12-point.

If you haven't had a good set of off-corner 12-point wrenches, I'd recommend starting with those. Something like Williams USA or WrightGrip. If you've already had good 12-points and really had problems with rounding, then you should probably just browse eBay for a set of used 6-points from a reputable brand like Snap-on, Williams, SK, Armstrong, Cornwell, etc. as any of them will cost a fortune brand new.
>>
>>1185152
Pretty interesting piece.
>>
>>1189132
Six points put more load on the broach cutting the flats, so makers like 12 pts more.

>Every outlet where I live

They sell tools via the internet too. Just sayin'...
>>
>>1188463
>>1188459
Taiwan stuff isn't as bad as it used to be. It's better than being made in China, but from Grizzly there's a chance it's made in China.
>>
>>1188459
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwe3yl7GR3Y

buy the Jet
>>
File: spoilsofmemem.jpg (242KB, 917x687px) Image search: [Google]
spoilsofmemem.jpg
242KB, 917x687px
>>1189701
nice drill press, simple and easy
olso the back gound triggers my OCD

btw pic releted new spoils this week - MOTHER FUCKING MAGNETS and weras first one with meme handle and electrician one to replace the meme brand one i bend the tip the first time i used it... newer again
>>
>>1185152

thats in interesting way to make a tool

>round rod
>acme thread a bit
>bend & twist
>add adjustable jaw
>press&weld? top jaw
>>
>>1184513
Is that the TechLC with the little meter bag? I have the same one. You an HVAC fag?

>pic related, not pictured: 35,000 other tools I own
>>
File: IMG_1179.jpg (2MB, 3341x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1179.jpg
2MB, 3341x3024px
>>1189847
>forgot pic
>>
Industrial pipefitter here. No pics right now cause my box is on the jobsite and we've got an extremely strict no phone policy. My newest toys are a pair of Williams 1-7/8" wrenches, a Proto 1-1/16" x 1-1/4" box end wrench, and a Stabila 96M 2' level. I've definitely god a hardon for Stabila levels. In addition to the 2' I just mentioned I've got 2 of their torpedo levels, both v-groove with the 45 (got a Tajima SLT-AL200M for slants), and I've got one of their pocket levels too. The pocket level is actually what started my love for them. My foreman had one, and lent it me to do some socket welds, as it's much more accurate than using the short side of a torpedo level. Actually, when I checked the pocket level vs the torpedo level I was using at the time(albeit one of those cheap plastic Swanson noes) vs a 4', it turns out the pocket level was more accurate than my torpedo level. So I bought one, and never looked back, best $20 I ever spent. Easy to clip to your belt/pocket/harness and accurate enough for general purpose use. I figured if it was good, their torpedo levels would be just as good, and they are. Super, and I mean super, strong magnets, and no annoying "slot" to look through on the top, instead you can see the bubble from any angle. Kind of a weird shape, but it doesn't really matter. What really sold me on the 96M (which I guess I should add is a $90 levle) was seeing one that belonged to another fitter. He said he'd had it about 12 years, and it was utterly destroyed with welding burns. I'm talking buckshot burns all over the whole thing, including the "levels" themselves, but it was still dead ass accurate. Any precision tool that can take abuse like that for 12 years and still do its job is well worth it to me, so I took the plunge. Anyway.....enough of me drunkenly sucking the big yellow dick of Stabila, I do have an actual question.

So, I'm in the market for a laser level. Which ones do you guys like for field use?
>>
im looking to get an angle grinder, any recommendations on which one? it will mainly be for metal sharpening but im also going to use it on wood occasionally
>>
>>1190146
Light duty stuff? Literally anything not Hitachi. Porter Cables are around $40 and they're fine. Just go get whatever feels comfy. Heavy use? Dewalt/Metabo/Makita. Milwaukee with a 9AH battery or Dewalt with Flexvolt are the only viable options for cordless.
>>
>>1190146
IME nothing can fuck with a Metabo grinder, but you'll pay dearly for it. If you're not down with spending that kind of money get a Dewalt with a paddle switch. Way more comfortable and IMO easier to control with accuracy. Also, pretty cheap without sacrificing quality.
>>
>>1190146
>>1190156
I should add my experience is only with corded tools. I don't know shit about battery or pneumatic tools.
>>
>>1190149
for the metal side of things its making blades and cutting out shapes in metal pieces (to make into moving functioning parts, like cams (compound bow) and for wood its shaping after ive sawed out the initial shape, maybe sanding too since i dont have a belt sander.
>>
>>1190162
>>1190156
i was just going to ask about the dewalt cordless vs corded. for most power tools i dont see the point in going cordless (except obviously a drill). the cheapest dewalt cordless seems to be cheaper than the corded model so i think corded might be better, idk
>>
>>1190170
I have a corded 1/2 inch chuck DeWalt I bought in the mid 90's, can't kill it. Also a 10 mm Makita I use for lighter work. I bought it used about 10 years ago at a yard sale and it is from the late 80's.

I have had many cordless tools over the years. The tools themselves have always done well but the batteries never last. No matter how well you take care of them they always die eventually. Eventually, the tool won't be part of the current battery lineup anymore and getting replacements will be pricey. You can rebuild them yourself but that gets tiresome after a while. Sooner or later you will just break down and buy a new set. Seems to happen about every 8-10 years for me.

Meanwhile, my bosses old corded 1960's B&D D-handle drill is still spinning along. Every now and again we let a greenhorn play with it for a laugh. It doesn't spin very fast but the torque always puts them on their ass when they discount it for being old.
>>
>>1190146
this >>1190149
any Makita, Dewalt, Metabo, Bosh etc is good i personaly have makita 125mm whitch goes for like 45-60€ (had a set with aditional stuff and a case so it was 100), had a meme brand one and killed it during wirebrushing - never again
do you have a bench grinder? if you want make lots of sharpening and so i woudl get that one too its like 30 bucks for meme brand
>>
>>1190248
i dont have one but thats a good point, theres a combo bench grinder sander for $70, maybe ill pick it up . Its ozito thhough so idk about the quality.
>>
>>1190256
>combo bench grinder sander
nice, you can then into knife making
>>
File: IMG_2316.jpg (450KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2316.jpg
450KB, 1600x1200px
>>1188514
wouldn't know, as my first tool purchase wasn't until 2011 (^:
>>
File: 51ERkcB1wTL.jpg (38KB, 500x433px) Image search: [Google]
51ERkcB1wTL.jpg
38KB, 500x433px
Probably long shot, Does anyone know where the new Stanley 5002's are made?
>>
File: Bison Tool.jpg (82KB, 570x427px) Image search: [Google]
Bison Tool.jpg
82KB, 570x427px
Potter here. I have a lot of Bison tools. They're handmade tungsten carbide tools for wheel turning/trimming clay. Best ceramic turning tools in the world. Mine are still sharp after thousands of pots, and they feel like an extension of my hand. You're doing great work, Phil. Thank you.
>>
>>1179324
>hard handle Wera
The best ones anyway.
>>
File: Mglk2Pp_d.jpg (62KB, 379x960px) Image search: [Google]
Mglk2Pp_d.jpg
62KB, 379x960px
>>1190428
>>
>>1181458
This fucker is has ridiculous cfm for the size and It's quite light, in fact I don't even use the shoulder strap. Decent price of $110. I also have the impact wrench and jigsaw, very nice pieces.
>>
File: weamememdupdate.jpg (236KB, 2312x1776px) Image search: [Google]
weamememdupdate.jpg
236KB, 2312x1776px
>>1190448
wish they made more types with hard handle, they will last probably the longest from all the types, afther the wood handels
the gumy one will probably desintagrete after it goes in contact with oil or anything that dysolves ruber
>>1190353
heh, i started like 2 years back buying new tools for my workshop - 90% of tools i have are like 30 years and more old
also like the plane wish they were more comon over here, you can buy them but mostly the stores have the cheapo wooden ones or big electric ones
>>1188514
also the age of tool dosnt mather as long it works and is properly maintenent
>>1190520
:^) bet you mexican
>>
Who has the gold standard for ratchet sets?
>>
How do I pick out rotary leather punch?
>>
>>1190514
keked audibly. thanks bro
>>
File: IMG_4243.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4243.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1190664
>also like the plane wish they were more comon over here
I actually bought that plane seconds hand. A gift someone had no use for, sold it for 1/2 price.
I buy pretty much everything second hand as deal hunting is a hobby of mine. Pic related. A recent find including a rolling tool cabinet (not pictured) all for $40 Lol
>>
>>1189848
Those field piece manifolds are the tits, it takes one time to be shown and anybody can recharge anything with it
>>
Probably off topic but have any /diy/ers notice their tools get magnetized over time? A magnet is surely not the cause for this because I have only one, rated at 20kg, and I keep it well away from my tools. This problem started small, with a few screwdrivers but now my entire open ended wrench set is magnetized to the point where every wrench can pick up a handful of nails. Anyone have any ideas about the cause?
>>
>>1190856
They where probably very slightly magnetic to start but not strong enough to pick up or grab anything.

rubbing against themselves/workbench/etc probably increased the magnetic properties.

You can find demagnetizer's on amazon for pretty cheap.
>>
File: IMAG0142.jpg (885KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0142.jpg
885KB, 1920x1080px
What's the best way to sell off a lightly used DeWalt DCD771C2 kit? I snagged it on a deal, but I've gotta downsize the drill collection(or hopefully, convert one to a right angle). Looking through everything else DeWalt offers in a cordless lineup, I realized I don't care about having their batteries and charger around.
>>
>>1191134
seems to go for $75 refurb, sell it to a friend for $30
>>
>>1191136
That's discouraging. I know my local Lowe's is going to be cleaning out for inventory soon, so they're gonna go nuts with markdowns on the batteries from displays, maybe I'll snag a couple to make the kit more appealing and try eBay or something.
>>
>>1191139
Electric tools depreciate. Get over it. You wouldn't spend money on a junk computer, you'd junk it. Any electric tool kit which outlived its batteries already paid for itself.
>>
>>1191134
>>1191136
fck just looked it up they sell them over her for 140€ fck i hate the fckd up prices here
>>
>>1184446
>TEK and FLUKE under the same roof
WHAT TIMLINE IS THIS//??////?!
>>
>>1179018
Really? Had a brand new dewalt this month, and a brand new evolution and the dewalt pisses all over the evolution. More power, better build quality. The works.

>>1179036
The blade guard. It retracts from the top and bottom as you pull the saw down.
>>
>>1180678
Best jigsaw I've ever used is my current 18v Brushless Makita. Its far better than my corded bosch and dewalt. A lot of the big tool pages put it as a really good jigsaw too.

>>1187991
Disregard this post.

https://youtu.be/osgH7uSrGRc
>>
>>1183472
How do you like that Bostitch compressor/3 tool combo? I've been thinking of getting that exact set while it's on sale for $200 right now.
>>
>>1191134
which would you say is more powerful, the M18 Fuel drills or Kobalt 24v?
>>
>>1191886
i immediately disregard all aussie tool reviews as the drunken ramblings of an abbo drunkard.

no one takes aussie tool reviews seriously.

delete your post
>>
>>1191885
>blade guard
I apologise. I feel stupid. I know better. I don't know how I missed that.
>>1191886
Have you seen any comparisons with the new Kobalt 24v brushless? I'm curious how well it stacks up.
>>1192039
They both feel plenty torque-y, more than I really have the means to test, but the Kobalt is a little more overzealous on the safety stuff. I got a 1/2" twist drill to thread as deeply as I could in 3/8" mild steel, then tried to forced it through with the Kobalt. It would stall before I felt any torque. The Milwaukee was hard to hold as it forced the bit through. I think if you're in the situation where you know how to do things right, and have the means, you can save some cash by getting Kobalt. If you're gonna do stupid shit and need brute force to fix it, the Milwaukee is the way to go.
>>
>>1192042
>Hyperbole

>>1192055
I've not, we don't get Kobalt here in the UK so it's not something I tend to see reviews for but a 60k+ tool page on Instagram (I forget which one) put the dewalt, Milwaukee, makita, Bosch and something else, might have been a carvex against each other and the makita was the one to kinda come out on top with the only possible improvement being a mafell (I forget which model) which would require you to remortgage.
>>
File: IMG_20170612_080501026.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170612_080501026.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>1192055
Also...
>>
>>1192139
Like I said, feelin' pretty stupid. I knew it was a chop saw, I think I saw a thick wheel like that and wondered why the fuck you were cutting with a grinding wheel.
>>
cant really go wrong with heat guns right? cheapo should last for more than 20 minutes without overheating? or should I go makita for triple the price?
>>
>>1192195
I bought a Makita some years back for £60 ish which seems decent enough. Never really been tempted by chingchong brand heat tools. God only knows what the wiring is like.
>>
>>1192195
Haven't had any problems with my Wagner, besides needing to put a hand over the air intake to not blow sugar all over when making krem brool :^) (with all other ingredients being whole/unrefined plant stuff)
>>
>>1192204
lol you seriously use a heat gun for crème brûlée?
>>
>>1192209
It works, and I don't need to go buy butane.
>>
>>1192209
its mostly literally the same thing just rebranded saw it tons of times gun for crème brûlée branded as heat gun and reverse, the price bounces like +100% for a heat gun
>>
>>1192241
original dessert poster here,
electric kitchen torches exist? I'm only aware of butane ones. Show me?
>>
File: _vyr_251KE2019C-01.jpg (61KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
_vyr_251KE2019C-01.jpg
61KB, 800x600px
>>1192250
sry, was speaking about the propan/butan ones
also kek pic releted
>>
>>1192039
Hi, >>1192055 again. One of the Irwin Speedbor self feeding bits I have, the Milwaukee will run it without flinching at high speed, the Kobalt needs to be turned down to low. Again, too overzealous on the safety, it doesn't even try at high speeds, whereas the Porter Cable and DeWalt both make valiant attempts. I still wouldn't shy away from saying Kobalt is great, but there's a more clear winner this time.
>>
>>1184437
what can you do with this that you can't do with a carpenter's rule?
>>
>>1194656
It's more for machining than carpentry.

>need metal to be specific size, use caliper to find it and get it to that size
>>
>>1194656
Very fast and accurate measurement. Pretty overkill for woodworking but i still use one on occasion for that too. Nothing works better when you have a screw or bolt of mystery size and need to know its diameter .
>>
>>1194656
try mesure 0.01 of a milimeter with a rule
>>
File: Optimized-20170531_100722.jpg (836KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
Optimized-20170531_100722.jpg
836KB, 1200x900px
1944 rare female 1/2'' drive Craftsman circle H socket set. I have the speeder bar, and got all the missing sockets off ebay. Blasted and painted the box. Just need to polish everything and make a new leather handle. $25 at a garage sale.
>>
>>1195199
show process
>>
so i found a 3/8 to 5/16" adapter. what the hell is 5/16" actually for?
>>
>>1196968
5/16" square drive? It was somewhat of a standard for small sockets around 90 years ago before 1/4" drive became completely standard for small stuff. 9/32" drive was also used as a slightly smaller step down from 5/16" drive.
>>
>>1197091

yeah, it says it's for nut spinner sockets never heard of it before thanks.
>>
File: 1493967890369.jpg (89KB, 691x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1493967890369.jpg
89KB, 691x1024px
is it worth spending 100s of hours practicing stick welding, or should i fork out the dough to practice with TIG?

>t. no-trade anon
>>
>>1197565
I never really got the meme that stick welding is hard? It kinda reminds me of those people who say driving a manual is hard but when you actually just start doing it you won't even notice and it's super cheap and portable. Make it your main kind of welding.
>>
Who makes the best manual 15mm copper tube benders?
>>
>>1197582
thanks for the wisdom, ancient one
have a nice night
>>
>>1197597
I usually just use my hands.
>>
File: IMG_20170622_202219975.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170622_202219975.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
trying to make grease
did i do it right?

>oil
>soap
>>
>>1197624
needs some cheese too
>>
File: a4ZNVqZ_700b.jpg (30KB, 499x498px) Image search: [Google]
a4ZNVqZ_700b.jpg
30KB, 499x498px
>>1197661
>>
>>1197565
>is it worth
you tell me do you plan to weld lot? then yes
best is to lear all the types - principe is always the same(except the gas welding thats a bit diferent lol)
only thing i dont like on stick is you most look for you electrode so you make aditional movements - the patern you doing, pushing of the electrode and direction you going + watching the speed and distance from work pice(all at the same time)...thats why i like MIG/MAG/FLUX more(you dont need push the electrode and watch for her lenght etc its comfy AF), TIG is art (allways wanted it to learn), Gas welding is a bit expesive for home use bot its not more complicated then electro(just watching for safty rules - not to blow yourself)
>>
>>1197565
learn stick far cheaper and far easier out of position can weld just about any material
>>1197673
dont listen to this guy stick you drag your arc length should always be tight GTAW is the same as any other welding a science with the welders technique being what gives your final appearance. gas isnt welding its brazing or soldering and GMAW your stickout more important then your push or pull angle
>>
>>1197698
Oxy-fuel is soldering?
>>
>>1197698
>gas isnt welding its brazing or soldering

OA was welding steel, aluminum and other metals long before modern stick electrodes, TIG and MIG processes existed. It can also heat and cut which is very useful.

Anyone interested in torch work should buy one of these motherfuckers in a printing not later than WWII because the content was reduced later on. The 1930s was the peak of OA welding. Example below, not mine (good price though) but look at the pic so you recognise the book:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oxwelder-039-s-Manual-Welding-and-Cutting-by-the-Oxy-Acetylene-Process-1934-SC-/331889569597

The most useful order of personal welding machine purchases I recommend is a transformer stick machine (which often outlive their original owners), then a MIG/FCAW machine (preferable to buy new unless you are familiar with inspecting them or have a welderbro to bring along), then adding a scratch start TIG torch to the transformer machine (ONLY if it's DC capable) per the Tozzi thread on Weldingweb. Billions of dollar of steel is welded every year with such inexpensive TIG rigs and if you upgrade your machine the torch can be used with that, too. I posted a parts list in this thread when I was assembling TIG rigs for our local vo-tech.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?38106-For-The-Can-I-TIG-With-My-Welder-People

Spend time on Weldingweb and the Miller forums. Miller website has free training vids too.

>is it worth spending 100s of hours practicing stick welding, or should i fork out the dough to practice with TIG?

They go together if you want to turn pro and are used in combination or separately in the field. Learn stick first. We trained students on 6010 and 7018 and had the good ones passing a 6G pipe test after 19 weeks (4 day college schedule) then getting jobs. Be a fucking info sponge and study welding forums hot and heavy because a class can't cover everything and you'll be a much better informed welder. Those forums are noob-friendly.
>>
>>1197565
Learn stick first. Learn to weld flat metal in all positions. Learn to stick weld pipe. Learn to TIG pipe. Get a job as a combo welder. Make fat stacks.
>>
>>1186316
>free to replace
They have to try to repair it first. Watched an old man loose his shit over it.
>>
File: 1496964219301s.jpg (5KB, 250x166px) Image search: [Google]
1496964219301s.jpg
5KB, 250x166px
I need a set of general purpose screwdrivers lads, what wera ones should I buy? I like the sound of the laser tipped stuff and the stainless set looks awesome but I don't think I have any need for those two square ones. Wat do?
>>
File: weramemed.jpg (430KB, 980x735px) Image search: [Google]
weramemed.jpg
430KB, 980x735px
>>1198092
>square ones
what? Robertson?
you can get sets without them or you can buy them by pice or buy sets covering the most sizes and then buy the mising ones separetly
if you have the cash get lasertip steinless
>>
File: DSC05714.jpg (3MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
DSC05714.jpg
3MB, 2816x2112px
Woodworking wetstones to sharpen with.

Over $500 here.

A 12000X stone, 2 natural stones and a nagura stone to build a slurry with
>>
About to come into 500 USDollarydoos to spend on tools for my job, problem is I already have everything I need for the job. What meme should I spend my money on?
>>
>>1198546
>hard hat fedora
>>
>>1198546
Koloss ratchet.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (141KB, 1734x974px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
141KB, 1734x974px
>>1198642
This, or if you want something more useful the biggest knipex pliers wrench.
>>
>>1197767
>then adding a scratch start TIG torch to the transformer machine
i saw a universal high freq box (no brand) at an estate sale for $75, is that a good price? there's no torch or anything else with it.

i think it was used with one of those lincoln tombstones, was at the sale too for $550 (way way high). i have a miller thunderbolt ac/dc crank style stick welder
>>
>>1198546
>Koloss ratchet - set 97€
>>1198690
>85mm knipex pliers 120€
thats like 217€(together) :D anon has almost 300 to go
i recomend Chiseldriver Wera Set of 6 thats like 35€(+ you can get the sizes they dont sell in set) also recomend to get the electrical - isolated basic set too
also what job you gona do anon ?
>>
File: rachet head.jpg (28KB, 300x393px) Image search: [Google]
rachet head.jpg
28KB, 300x393px
>>1198705
also i forgot they make the chisel driver with a ratchet hole too
>>
>>1198695
75 is good. There are a variety of them and they are pretty simple. Your Thunderbolt is a good stick machine. I'd add a high freq for some fun.

"Tombstone" is originally the round top Idealarc and similar. The smaller, lighter AC-225 with or without DC is a good welder but not a tombstone.

An Idealarc is worth three to five hundred. They'll run (not maxed out) off a 50A breaker. The Miller equivalent is the Dialarc which often has a plug for a remote control (easily available) and is also an outstanding welder.

https://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/showthread.php?20988-making-a-tig-from-a-arc-welder

Now go to real welding forums like Weldingweb, the Miller forums, and the slower moving but good Hobart forums. You'll enjoy what you find and they are noob-friendly.
>>
File: index.jpg (10KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
10KB, 225x225px
I'm shopping around for a thickness planer, considering the dw735.Could I do better for the price?
>>
>>1198818
You could buy a quality used thickness planer that was made in the USA and quite a bit more machine for that price, yeah. Depends on what is in your area though.
>>
>>1198833
For precision tools like a planner I'd rather buy new.
>Budget <$1k
>>
>>1198837
They aren't the kind of thing that gets out of spec that easily and they are adjustable. Hell, you are more likely to have problems with newer plastic and aluminum planers than you are ones made from steel and cast iron. Less flex, less vibration.

That said if your budget is that small and you are unwilling to buy used then that DeWalt or the Makita in the same price range is probably the best you can afford. There is no way you will get a furniture grade planer for less than a grand new.
>>
>>1198864
I feel like the whole cantilever thing when running boards through could cause play in the rollers, plus you never know if the previous over could've knocked it over and warped something. Plus the added expense of buying new knives, no warranty, etc. I just went through all of this with a used jointer so I'm sticking with new for this one.
>>
>>1198886
>I feel like the whole cantilever thing when running boards through could cause play in the rollers
To what are you referring?

>plus you never know if the previous over could've knocked it over and warped something
Cast iron does not warp. That is only a problem with aluminum shop tools. You know if an old tool has been dropped. It will have cracked or broken castings. No cracks, no problems.

> I just went through all of this with a used jointer so I'm sticking with new for this one.
Who made the jointer? I recently paid $200 for a 6 inch Rockwell/Delta jointer from the 1960s and it is rock solid. I tested it before I bought it though. I've seen good quality 4-inch jointers sell for as little as $50 around here. My friend paid the princely sum of $47 for a 6 inch Sprunger Brothers jointer at a local auction about 6 months back and it has worked flawlessly since. He made out like a bandit, though.

Also, if knives are a concern for you then you might as well pass on owning one. You will go through many, many knives over the life of your tool. Those cheap DeWalt knives are known for only lasting about 300 board feet before needing to be sharpened and you can only sharpen them a hand full of times before they are toast.
>>
File: IMAG0463.jpg (995KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0463.jpg
995KB, 1080x1920px
>>1198818
I dont know how things compare within DeFaults lineup, but /r/woodworking has nothing but good things to say about their lunchbox planers.
>>1199040
>Cast iron does not warp. That is only a problem with aluminum shop tools. You know if an old tool has been dropped. It will have cracked or broken castings. No cracks, no problems.
They might be smaller cracks than you can see, which will turn into big cracks later. I'm with you on the buying used front, but saying that cast iron that's visually okay won't have problems is only going to be mostly true. AvE has a video on dye penetration inspection if you're interested.
>>
File: CACODEMON.png (531KB, 588x854px) Image search: [Google]
CACODEMON.png
531KB, 588x854px
>>1178995
tools get me hard.

i'm sitting here drinking with my AR-15 and my makita recip saw.

both of which I wish to use on minorities and SJW's
>>
Wtf is everyone doing with all these screwdrivers? I barely ever need to use one in the last 10 years other than stupid furniture stuff, if I ever need to screw something I have a couple impact drivers
>>
can we take a moment to talk about how great multi-tools are?

ive only ever used standard Dremel rotary tools for precision work but i used a multitool last week last week at work to make some cuts and im already shopping for my own. i never realized how much i needed something more precise and cleaner cutting than a sawzall until i grabbed one of these oscillating tools and i think im in love.
>>
>>1199040
nah, still want to buy new for this one. Used ones may be fine for sloppy work but I want a precision tool with a warranty.
>>
>>1199080
I had picked up the Milwaukee 18v multitool, and it was loud and not overly impressively fast and the speed control sucked, so after hearing how awesome they were and being disappointed by mine, I returned it and looked up a bunch of reviews to find one I liked. The M18 didn't really fare well vs the competition in the reviews I saw. I ended up doing a lot of research, and even tossing around the idea of even using it as an excuse to get into Makita's cordless lineup. Then I ended up buying a $90 corded Porter Cable for like $35. It's better than the M18 in every way.
>>1199081
In a lot of cases, OLD used is much better than new for precision. If it isn't cracked, you can't go wrong with giant hunks of cast iron. I pretty much exclusively buy new, but I'd still say to at least glance at Craigslist and see if there are any freak deals on amazing quality old stuff. It's more important to buy something you'll be happy with than to get the best quality, but you're doing yourself a disservice by not at least checking to see if there's one that checks both boxes.
>>
what am i meant to do with rusty tools and sockets? chuck em?
>>
>>1199106
Clean them up? Use them?
>>
>>1199080
Has anyone made a hooha rattler attachment for thoes things yet because it seems like thats the only use they would have.
>>
>>1199106

Keep em for sacrificial tools.

Need a O2 sensor socket? Cut a slot in a regular one.

Wrench too thick? A grinder will fix that.

Shitty neighbor wants to borrow tools? Give him the ugly set that's missing all the 10mm sockets.
>>
>>1199146
>missing all the 10mn sockets

They really need to include extra 10mm sockets in every set.
>>
>>1199073
i bet you dont live in a house(with garden and shit)
also i personaly do electronics too and all the other stuff(maitenence of motorized garden tools - chainsaw, lawn mower, trimmer etc.) so try to do it all with 2 screwdrivers(flat head and Ph2) and only bits
>>1199106
this >>1199117
clean them, oil them or paint them if its needed
i have tonn of rusti tools and all they need is just wire brush/ rust cleaner and oil/or paint
and they work normaly
>>
File: joker_set_switch_8.jpg (39KB, 435x349px) Image search: [Google]
joker_set_switch_8.jpg
39KB, 435x349px
dont ask me how much i spent on these
>>
>>1199181
8 piece? around 130€ ?
>>
11 piece switch version
>>
>>1199163
That's what I am saying man, I've never had an issue with using the few screwdrivers I have laying around when I need one, and I do have a garden and 3 acres of land. Don't really need a screwdriver for engine maintenance.
>>
>>1199197
they go for like 200+ bucks
>>1199211
>3 acres of land
i hope you have a bunker or a a meth lab(or weed farm) :^)
>>
>>1198817
cool thanks for the info

i offered $30 ( was half off today ) and they took it
>>
>>1188972
>Ryobi
>how's the impact gun?

I have zero regrets buying that thing. So far I've done 4 lower control arms, 4 struts, 3 complete tire rotations and a wheel bearing.

Obviously, it takes care of the lug nuts without any trouble at all. Three settings, and I do have a set of proper sockets and torque bars.

I highly recommend torque bars if you do any suspension work.
>>
File: tp131d_2.jpg (980KB, 1000x1415px) Image search: [Google]
tp131d_2.jpg
980KB, 1000x1415px
>you will never have a Japan-only brushless Makita hybrid hammer-drill impact driver in black

why even buy tools anymore...
>>
>>1199769
I wonder if that dude on the /r/tools subreddit could import it. He runs Redding Fasteners down in California, does some good deals. /u/martinjbell I think?
>>
I've been using some of my grandfathers tools since he passed. I have a Turth 1/2" breaker bar set and I'm building up both a matco and fapoff collection. Everyone who doesn't have a Yankee driver, I feel sorry for you.
>>
>>1195199
those handles are perfect. why do the mega expensive brands like snap-on put those shitty synthetic / rubber handles on everything? knurled metal it the fucking best
>>
File: SK.43875.1.jpg (3MB, 4608x3072px) Image search: [Google]
SK.43875.1.jpg
3MB, 4608x3072px
>>1200316
Knurled handles are best handles.
>>
>>1180678
Take a look at Makita's 4351FCTJ jigsaw. Its perfomance comes close to the one of jigsaws made by Mafell or Festool.
>>
File: pdc184.jpg (122KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
pdc184.jpg
122KB, 720x1280px
>>1178995
I'm reading about circlejerk but noone brought festool up yet? Any owners here?
>>
>>1198705

sorry for the late reply, I'm doing maintenance.
>>
>>1201160
so its ideal for you
>>1200812
festools the apple of powertools
dunno i personaly saw them only in store, for me they are to expensive, so i go with common and meme brands
>>
>>1201356
that is how my B&D drill smells like as well when doing projects

made it smoke bad one time too
>>
>>1201458

all I need for 99% of my job is a 6in1, some rachets, and some channel locks desu.
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 79

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.