[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

building a house & certifications

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: glass-boxes-japanese-school.jpg (110KB, 690x441px) Image search: [Google]
glass-boxes-japanese-school.jpg
110KB, 690x441px
Hey y'all I'm gonna build my own house and I want to know how much I can DIY. Like at what stage will gov try to cockblock me for not having some official certification? I know I have to submit plans and whatnot - do these plans need to have some stamp, or come from someone real official?
>>
>>1178959
>how much I can DIY

It depends on where you live, your skill level, and tools/supplies you have access to. Where I live it doesn't matter, there are no building codes. However, if I want electric from a utility company, it has to conform to their standards from the pole to the meter. Which is nice for living in B.F.E.
>>
>>1178963

Ahh, okay. Disregard skills & resources, simply wondering the legal angle. So I should call up somebody in the local town gov? Do you know which office? Planning & zoning?
>>
Okay furthermore - what does being an architect really entail? Like shit.

Here's me: I want to design my building, and I want to build it. I know how I want it to look, I can figure out how to build it, and I can purchase relevant materials & tools. Is there any special sauce? Or am I overthinking this?
>>
>>1178964
>So I should call up somebody in the local town gov?

Yes. Couldn't say who exactly. Could be planning and zoning, could be code enforcement. They should be able to direct you to the appropriate department, though.

>>1178970
>Okay furthermore - what does being an architect really entail?

Usually just being familiar with building code and then shitting out something that conforms to it. Architects, however, can also design things outside of code, since they're part structural engineers. Of course, none of that matters if you don't have building codes in the first place.

Laws pertaining to various building, electrical, and plumbing codes are some of the most varied in the country. We're talking differences even between municipalities. Nobody's going to be able to give you a good answer other than your own local government.
>>
It's not just the gub-mint that's an obstacle. Banks won't loan on a shit tier handyman shack. They're gonna want proof that the thing will be built to code, to protect their investment. Insurance companies won't insure structures that don't meet code due to high risk of shit falling apart with you in it.
>>
>>1178981
Beautiful! Will pull local codes

>>1178989
tanks for periphery considerations
>>
>>1178959
As others have said it depends on where you live. The county I work for now requires a plan on file and a "permit". And the plans have the most basic of requirements of "a description of the building to be built and the location on which it is to be built."

We get plans written in pencil on notebook paper with a crude drawing and horrible spelling, to professionally designed blueprints and proper build docs.

The inspection for the closing of the permit is done by Dan. A 67 year old guy who wears coveralls, white tshirt and a cowboy hat who, as a rule of thumb, doesn't get on ladders.

The previous city I worked for required architectural blueprints, numerous permits pulled for all aspects of the project, multiple inspections by licensed proffesionals who knew the codebook better than pastors know their bibles.
>>
>>1178959
And as a warning. It will be slow to build yourself. Several steps require 1,2 people, meaning that mostly you can do it yourself. But sometimes it's just soooo much easier if just SOMEBODY would hold that other end.

I'm building a house myself and it just takes time. I have never built anything bigger than a greenhouse myself but as I have been doing shit myself my whole life it thought what the hell and decided to build a home for myself and family.
>>
>>1178959
It depends, but in my neck of the woods (USA) you are allowed an 'owner/builder permit' which exempts you from having to be a licensed residential contractor. No architects needed and no engineer as long as the construction method is prescribed in the IBC
Basically you can do everything other than connect the main sewage/gas/electrical and your work just needs to be inspected at various stages like normal.
The only real caveat is that you can't sell the house in <2 years.
>>
>>1178963
>However, if I want electric from a utility company,

The way it works here: utility company won't hook you up until approved for service by electrical inspector. Electrical inspector won't approve new service on new construction without building permit.

What people do is to have a mobile home service put in on a post. Then they pull out the mobile home and build whatever, hooking it to the existing service.
>>
File: rday600.jpg (64KB, 600x320px) Image search: [Google]
rday600.jpg
64KB, 600x320px
where do i get mexicans at to help me do this stuff?

my local home depot doesn't have them standing out front. i need someone i can pay 50$ a day to help me out sometimes.
>>
>>1178959
once you let inspectors in, they're in.
Every stage of the build will have to signed off on by government employed building inspectors.
With that said, aside from plans that need an engineers stamp you can do pretty much all the actual work yourself.
>>
>>1180235
Look at taco food trucks or something
>>
>>1178981

>Architects, however, can also design things outside of code, since they're part structural engineers.

1) Architects aren't any part structural engineer
2) No one is designing anything that doesn't conform to codes
>>
>>1180235
Craigslist

What state you in OP? Come to New Mexico all the cheap labor you need. Hell half the time they even have a truck and the tools.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.