[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Potato Box

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: 1494967530026[1].jpg (118KB, 736x956px) Image search: [Google]
1494967530026[1].jpg
118KB, 736x956px
How can we improve upon this concept into something reusable, flat pack-able, and marketable?

>make the boards and the posts from that recycled milk jug plastic board.
>hooks on the boards and slots in the posts. So you can just assemble and disassemble with out tools.
>>
>>1178780
You know y can get like 50 pounds worth of potatoes by using good quality soil and compost and a large pot?
>>
>>1178780
directions too complicated, dick stuck in ceiling fan
>>
>>1178780
These are not very good actually and you don't need to have a bunch of boards or use that technique to get a bunch of potatoes.
>>
>>1178803
Large pots can be heavy and expensive.
>>1178919
Potatoes need soft ground. Where I live it is hard red clay at the surface. Would have to mix in too much compost and dig too deep to grow in the ground
>>
>>1178780
>make the boards and the posts from that recycled milk jug plastic board.
HDPE. And cut a slot in it, then have something fit through it that you can just rotate 1/4 turn to lock.
>>
find a public space thats been littered with abandoned tires and use those instead, stack them on top of each other and fill with dirt
>>
>>1179017
Has to be food safe.

Which is why certain treated lumber are out too
>>
>>1178988
Amen to that. Pots are way too expensive. That's why you have to buy things that aren't originally designed to be plant pots and just repurpose them. I get these big containers for plumbers, contractors or whatever. I drill holes in the bottom of em, costs 5 bucks. Even better, they're 17 gallon. Can put whatever the fuck you want in there.
>>
>>1178780
see
boards.4chan.org/out/thread/1017450

>>1178988
Using raised beds is great, but you don't need to use the method shown in that image with the method of filling it up slowly over time. That isn't a good method with most types of potatoes anyway.

>>1179017
You can't use tires. They leach heavy metals and other chemicals that the plants uptake and you end up eating. Tires are actually really really unhealthy. You shouldn't even grow or eat anything within 100 feet of a roadway, more for highways and downhill areas.

>>1179031
You can use 5-gallon buckets too from resturants and house construction sites. They are HDPE, the food ones had food in them and the constructions ones should only have "mud" in them. You can have 1 plant per bucket, like pepper or tomato, or a grouping of corn per bucket.
>>
that's dumb as shit. dig a hole and put soil on top and it'll work just as well.
>>
>>1178919
Okay, dumbass: How would YOU get the same potato density?
>>
File: IMG_2281.jpg (408KB, 540x748px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2281.jpg
408KB, 540x748px
>>1178780
Fun fact is I found the same pic on this same forum and I m' now growing potatoes this way. I got some problem making those potatoes germinating. I build a small transparent box because internet told me that light and dry area will help
>>
>>1179023
unless you live in a third world country there are no treated lumbers sold that are unsafe to use for a garden.
>>
>>1179110
You don't. The image is a bit of a lie. The potatoes everyone grows are "determinate" potatoes and you can not use them in that type of system. Only "indeterminate" potatoes can be used in a system like that. Good luck ever finding indeterminate potatoes that will grow in your area for as long as required to actually grow that many tubers.

The biggest thing is time. Indeterminate potatoes grow continually, for a very long long time (3-5 years!) Determinate potatoes stop growing and in a short amount of time (a few months!) Now, think about it. How long do you think you need to allow indeterminate potatoes to grow in one of those to reach 100lbs of tubers? It's going to be a long time. That's the main thing that image is lacking.

What I do is grow a very quick developing, colder hardy, variety of determinate potato (Purple Majesty). I can plant 2 crops of potatoes in a single season in Zone 5. That gives me 4-8 crops of potatoes on the same land in the same amount of time that an indeterminate potato can give in one of those potato towers.
>>
>>1179206
be careful with the potatoes exposed to sunlight
>>
>>1178780
>>1178803
>>1179089
>>1179094
Ok, for the record, you are all missing the point of OP's graphic. The point is to be able to harvest potatoes without digging up the plant. You want a distributed root system, and every time you want a dozen potatoes, you unscrew the board on one side, dig around in it as some of the soil pour out a little, stop when you have enough or there's no potatoes in reach, screw board back on, scoop up the soil and put it back in the top.
It's not about the density, it's about getting potatoes with a root structure that is totally accessible, so you don't have to dig holes and harvest dozens at a time, you can always have fresh potatoes.
>>1178780
on that note, OP, hooking the boards would work to build, but then you couldn't take one board out without taking apart the whole thing.
Plastic decking board would be rot proof, but might have an issue with food safe plastic. plastic milk pallet boards are better @ food safe.
>>
>>1179292
>>1179373
Yes, fair point, the breed/strain of potatoes will determine if this works or not.
Indeterminate potatoes also applies to many strains of late season potatoes, which are ready to harvest in 90-120 days instead of 60-80 days.

The other benefit is that many potatoes keep producing, but by the time they're ready to dig up and harvest, the older tubers have gone bad or started to rot. being able to harvest while in the ground, and moving around the box in a spiral, will let you harvest potatoes evenly in closer to the order that they sprout, since you would harvest a section every few days, and come back to it every 20 or 30, so you wont have an early tuber that's split it's skin and been sitting and rotting in the soil for two months when you harvest.

Although IMO the added expense of a pump and misters is worth it to go aeroponic so you can actually see and evaluate potatoes "on the vine". as long as the grow box is in the dark with a lid/door, it won't expose the tubers to sunlight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjB81XEOqrA
>>
>>1178780
I was looking into bamboo fencing.
Less setup.
Less tare-down.
Less to store.
Cheap.
No power tools needed.
>>
>>1179395
that's absolutely beautiful, how much does a smaller version of that cost?
>>
>>1179270
pallet wood
>>
>>1179356
So how do I make them germinating ?
>>
>>1179494
Never use pallet wood in the garden. There's too many unregulated chemicals in them for preserving them. Event the heat treated ones are suspect because pallets get traded around like playing cards and in some countries they don't have the same regs as the USA or the company doesn't need to rebrand them for internal use.
>>
>>1179420
Most people just use straw to line the sides of the fencing.
>>
>>1179574
Potatoes exposed to sun are fine as long as you don't eat them. Same thing goes for potatoes that have rooted.

The potatoes you have have probably been sprayed with anti-growth hormones at the packing factory and therefore are less prone to rooting. Wash them and let them sit in a warm place for awhile. Or just buy seed potatoes at the store.
>>
>>1178780
>go down to local tyre place
>acquire old, bald tyres for free
>hill potatoes by stacking old tyres on top of one another as the plants grow taller
>your childrens' childrens' children inherit your old, bald tyres
>>
>>1178780
One it doesn't work

two grow bags which are already on the market.
>>
>>1178780
Maybe make it more drawer like so the panels dont need to be refilled all the time
>>
>>1180082
Thats actually great idea
>>
>>1180087
Yeah, if you want poisioned taters.
>>
>>1180082
>>1180087
Old vehicles tires leach and emit a variety of harmful chemicals. That's why when the EPA put limits on how much shredded tire could go into land fills and the people doing the tire shredding started selling it as playground covering parents went apeshit.
>>
Potatoes cost 2 or 3 dollars for a big bag. I cant see the reason to grow these.
>>
>>1180738
Taste better, very little effort.
>>
>>1179373
> so you don't have to dig holes and harvest dozens at a time
christ, just dig a narrow hole
>>
>>1180738
Because when society collapses, ain't gonna be no stores. Best to learn how to do it yourself.
>>
>>1180738
You get to grow any variety you want. They taste different and are good for different types of cooking methods/dishes.

Also, it makes both health & economical sense in the long run. Food security goes a very long long way.
>>
>>1179206
You are letting the seed potatoes sit indoors, in sunlight, until they produce buds, right? Then bury them after.
>>
>>1180935
I just stick mine in the cabinet until they smell really bad, like a decaying mouth.
>>
>>1180935
They don't need light, just humidity and warmth.

>>1180940
Too humid. They need some air.
>>
>>1178780
http://www.thegardenacademy.com/vegetables/the-great-potato-tower-hoax/
>>
>>1181257
That's disappointing but good to know.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.