[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pumping Water.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

File: 20170517_115043.png (1MB, 963x777px) Image search: [Google]
20170517_115043.png
1MB, 963x777px
Need to rig up some sort of water pump. In true diy fashion i want to build a spaceship for free out if trash, but I know that it's not realistic.

Need to keep this giant water hole pumped out as cheaply as possible. Been considering a few solar panels and bilge pumps. Or maybe hammer a hole in the rock and run a sump pump.

Have plenty of sun. Wind almost always blows 25mph so i could buy or build a windmill to generate additional electricity.

I dont need the water to go far. Maybe pump 1 foot up and 10 feet accross level ground to drain over where my 10" pump is.

I have tried putting rock down and it just makes a soggy mess. I have a lot of large rock to move and cannot drive in water or i will get a tire.

I have a 50 watt solar panel. 2 12v 35ah deep cycle SLA lead batteries. I new medium sized bilge pump that probably won't last long. And i can find or buy a sump pump motor and 110v adaptor. Its quite a lot of water and spring fed. But i think a sump pump or equivelent could keep up running intermittently during the day. I'm not above running it all night i guess. Not concerned about fire. But, since this is all experiential it's all going to be on my dime.

I am approx 400 yards from a 110v source with maybe a 20amp breaker. Bit i would have to lay line on ground in a temporary fashion. It would expose it to rats and the elements and potentially cause a pasture fire. Could bury the line but the direction of the electricity source is the direction we are blasting rock.

Ideally i would orefer a temporary setup so that in the future i can use this to set up gravity feed drains in a few ponds.

Any thoughts?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170517-110920.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170517-110920.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
Fucks sake finally got shitty pic to load. How the fuck a 90s cartoon board is the slowest site on earth i will never understand.
>>
>>1178748
Christ. That looks like a diesel pump problem to me. At least for the initial draining. A solar sump pump "might" be able to maintain it if you drop some serious dough on panels and batteries.

The real problem is the amount of incoming water. If it rains, your pump may not be able to keep up.
>>
>>1178748
dig a ditch for the water to drain out into...
>>
>>1178748
can you rent one (or ten) of those gas powered 'trash' pumps?
>>
>>1178748
>>1178749

Unless you figure out what kind of fill rate you're getting into that pool, nobody's going to be able to tell you how much pump you need to keep it drained.

I would, however, suggest renting/buying a trash pump. It's really hard to tell, given I have no idea what the average depth or area of that thing is, but I'd hazard a guess that it's easily a few hundred thousand gallons. Even a relatively large trash pump would take several hours to drain it. A typical sump pump, being a minuscule portion of that pumping power, would likely have no hope of _ever_ draining it.
>>
You could just use a windmill to power a pump, no need for it to generate electricity.
>>
>>1178752
Yeah, thats the shitty part. Fucking typhoon season around here. It's not a huge deal but solving little problems like this seems to always grant me a raise. And i like to take care of things here as if it is my own since i fully plan on running a few quarries at some point. I have access to a 2" gas pump to get it drained initially. I guess i could run it indefinitely but i dont want to burn it up since it isnt mine. And the little bastard only runs 2 hours and dies. Plus it looks like a large pond but its only about 18" deep in the middle. Need to build or buy some sort of lowflow screen. We got it down to sucking air last year with a 2 inch hose and it was still 4 inches deep and a fucking mess.
>>
File: images (20).jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images (20).jpg
9KB, 225x225px
>>1178755
Dozer tried with a ripper but just kinda made a mess and a speed bump for the pit loaders and me.

Solid rock floor

Wheel loader and pic related.

Been trying to get a gravity feed going but it's just too far to be of any use.
>>
>>1178755
They even tried with the hoe. I think i could do it bit i would risk breaking the hoe and likely peel the floor up and make a giant sinkhole. So an even bigger fustercluck.
>>
File: 20170518_141239.jpg (1MB, 1600x921px) Image search: [Google]
20170518_141239.jpg
1MB, 1600x921px
>>1178755
>>
>>1178758
I could. But it keeps raining and i have a problem with getting enough water out to matter before it sucks air. I got a 10" on site bit its a cock to move around by myself. Maybe i can tap onto the suction hose...?
>>
>>1178769
Shit. Well, we have had it near dry before and there is only one small spring (think 2 garden hoses worth) that feed it if the rain can fuckoff.

They really dicked me piling all that big rick next to the production ledge. No idea wtf they were thinking unless they were out of room 10 years ago.
>>
>>1178778
Kinda what i thought bit the logistics is wonky. No wind in the pit with the water. Tons 20 feet up on the ledge. But only need to pump it a little ways.
>>
I don't envy you. Did a quarry drainage project once and got nowhere cos we found out the water had a pH of about 1. Anything we tried to use around it was rusted or holed by the next day it was insane. Boots falling apart at our feet.

Fucking called the EPA and let them take over holy shit tho they weren't happy with the quarry owner.

I'd say rent a trencher for a day and dig a few channels
>>
>>1179243
Windmill pumps work off a center oscillating shaft. No matter the tower's height the pump is always at the base. That being said they're expensive and IMO you'd be better off running a few hundred foot extension cords to a 80$ sump pump.
>>
File: 1484693332261.jpg (2MB, 1512x2016px) Image search: [Google]
1484693332261.jpg
2MB, 1512x2016px
>>1179335
>lake of standing water pH 1

Jesus Christ how horrifying.
>>
>>1178748
build a pump windmill. Slow but constant.
Look up vertical windmill, build small tower with that ontop and some automotive bearings from the junkyard, since it's temp just use 2x4 and some concrete footings to keep it down. You can use shitty circles cut out of plywood and big pvc pipe cut in half to make the blades. doesn't need to be pretty, so just clamp it down to a flat board at both ends and run a circular saw down it, do it again on the other side. safty nazi in me says for 2nd cut just groove it, set the depth on the saw to leave 1/16" of pipe so it can't close up and pinch, and just tear apart when done or use a knife.
Anyway, you just need the power transmission to be round shaft at the bearings, in the middle part you can drill a hole 3-6" into the ends of a 2x4, insert the shafts, and just drill and pin it in. as long as the two metal shaft parts are colinear (lined up) it shouldn't fuck up the bearings or cause friction.
since it only needs to go up a bit, look up spiral pumps. probably about $150 in plastic tubing and some 2x4s in an x or star to screw pipe strapping to.

For power transfer, I would salvage a cv joint from the junkyard. Designed to take way more abuse than you're planning to put it through.
>>
>>1178748
>>1178769
>>1179235
>>1179242
Also, I would do what oil companies tried to do in the gulf. Since it's a quarry = lots of bedrock, I would guess the springs don't have a ton of other great outlets. Drain it again, drill out the spring to a consistent hole size just smaller than a large pipe, maybe 2"? drive in pipe, seal with silicone, cut off a few inches above the surface and sweat on an adapter to 1.5" pipe, attach a nice 10' section of 1.5" pipe to get it nice and high, apply concrete around the adapter so it can't be pushed out by the water, then you have a nice high up place to hook up a hose and let the natural spring water pressure slowly pump it out of the pit and far enough away it will drain back into the aquifer or evaporate before it gets back to your hole.

won't work for a lot of geology because there's other outlets for the spring a few "inches" above where it is now. But worth a shot since quarry = lots of rock = few outlets.
>>
>>1179235
Then it needs a sump and sump pump. For a quarry that's basically a big pit at the lowest point and everything runs into it. Once it reaches a certain level the pump kicks on, drains it, and turns off until next time it is full. The pit can be just be a deeper section, it doesn't need to be an actual pit with steep sides or anything potentially dangerous. Just check the water pH from time to time or you may be tossing equipment away.

>>1179347
>80$ sump pump

Mine, a 1/4hp, cost $300 and can do 2" solids.
>>
>>1179423
Guy wants to drain water. why does he need a 300 trash pump for that?
>>
>>1179428
Because you need proper power to head ratio to get the water out. The higher the head the more costly the pump will be.
>>
File: NetherlandsKinderdijkWindmill.jpg (398KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
NetherlandsKinderdijkWindmill.jpg
398KB, 1600x1200px
>>1179413
Pumping water with wind power? What a novel idea!
>>
>>1179432
OP literally said that he needs to pump the water up a foot. Are you saying that a 2" trash pump is required to pump water a foot?
>>
>>1179413
Um, you could also do a horizontal windmill with a rope or chain pulley to transfer power?
I feel like that would be a little bit difficult at 20 feet, I've only seen it work well for about 10 feet.

Even if you've end up with a really shitty pump that only does like 20gph, my guess is it would
completely empty it after 2-3 days, assuming that water is like a foot deep at the deepest, and not like 8 feet deep in the middle.
>>1179347
many work off a reciprocating shaft, yes, but usually it's because they need to pump water up from underground, so the motion needs to not be affected by dirt or have enough space to fill up with dirt/mud/rain/bugs, and linear bushings sealed in oil in a case are cheaper than rotational ones, plus the pump is simpler underground.
>>1179413
Re the cv joint, I meant the whole axle, so 2 joints, each one @ 45 degrees. 90 degrees on one joint would be a bit much I think.

Also, a spiral pump works well @ low speed medium torque, unlike most pumps you don't lift the water straight up, so yeah.

Real windmills are expensive because they have to pay all the fabrication costs and are machined to tight tolerances for efficiency, and usually have features like an automatic mechanical gearbox to take the most efficient use of wind, and vanes that shutoff for storms and reset themselves after. but none of that is super important to you.
>>
>>1179335
>pH of about 1

Jesus. I didn't even realize that was a thing that could happen naturally.
>>
>>1179439
>pump the water up a foot

Doubt. >>1178749
>>
>>1179335
That seems to be the best bet bit holy fuck we will never get it level. There will be a lifelong speedbump there.

I will attempt to not ree at you for the epa thing. I get that. But i hate government cucks so bad when i dig my vunker i am only working at night ina woods. Fuck those mutherfuckers.

I dont mind it out here. Only 1 neighbor and i work alone unless the crushing crew is in 4 months every 2.5 years or so. Partly why my autistic ass is trying to drsin the swamp for free/cheap. Boredom.
>>
>>1179335
Also, my buddy in town has a coating booth. Oil is big around here and for those that dont know with oil cones salt water. Middle of the us and we are pumping millions of gallons of saltwater out of the ground. Give it a few days to seperate, then pump it back down into the ground. All of the lines and pumps are steel but coated to protect from salt water.

I could coat stuff bit i dont think our water has a problem.

Did yours have a bunch of pyrite in it? (Fools gold)
>>
>>1179347
Shit. I think you're right. I have storage space in doors to hang coords when not in use. Sadly its looking to be the cheapest and easiest solution even tho i will have to dodge wires all the time.
>>
>>1179413
I have considered something like this for elecricity generation for my internet tower. I may look more into this. Axle assembly from a geo metro is a glorified gocart and should last years. Hell, we used to use toyota pickup front ends as conveyor belt guides. They woyld rub hard in one direction for months or even years sometimes. Then just change a wheel bearing and go on.
>>
>>1179419
Makes sense. Sadly i think it seeps out of the whoke wall. We had a drought a few years ago and ths whoke wall was still wet. I tried to find the exit hoke of there was one for the spring. No dice
>>
>>1179423
Even $300 while kinda high, if it works will be reimbursed. I try and keep the bottom line low here to the poibt my boss calls at times asking if i need anything because i havent charged shit in town for 3 months.

Nope, essentially just fuckoff and forget i am here. Sign my checks and adios sirs. Lol.

The pit does drain well and the back corner is a large 10' deep hole so it works well aside from this damned hole in the middle that holds watter.

Gonna try and put a pipe in or something when the guys show up.
>>
>>1179428
Is a lot of watter anon. And lime screenings is pretty much sand.

Dumping sand ina pump normally is bad juju. Trash pump handles it better i would wager.

Have a clear water pump and my dad said i could borrow it bit it would kill.
>>
>>1179435
I'm draining an oversized koi pond not kake erie anon. Lol.

My crippled ass doesnt get off the ground anymore anyway.
>>
>>1179439
Probably not but i fear a low volume 3/4 wouldnt even keep up let alone get this drained. I rwally woukd like to move that rock pile before they get here but it isnt life or death here.

At minimum they bring 2 w600 kamatsu pit loaders.

They dwarf the 988 cats.

Never thought i woukd say this but those kamatsu are better than cat in every way. Bigger, faster, comfy, dependable etc...
>>
>>1179458
Right on. Well, it is 18" at best when it is dry all around the hoke like that. And if it grenades it's all junkyard shit. The main assembly should handle 70mph winds no problem and the rest is cobled together junk. If i cant rwbuild or go another way my buddy hauls scrap metal on saturdays and i have a loader. I can scrap it and start over whenever.
>>
>>1179583
>quarry
>natural
>>
>>1179351
Yeah man, trashed my ph meter too

>>1179583
Yeah limestone quarry and he ignored the geologists advice and dug too far to one side,hit a bed of shale. Rainwater dissolved pyrite and he had a sulphuric swimming pool.

>>1179676
Hah I love not living in America. Apart from too much paperwork my governments pretty cool. Even if you fuck up they help rather than hinder.

>>1179677
Yeah man good luck anyway. Ph test is pretty easy anyway. Dying to move into the oil patch myself, want to make some monies.
>>
>>1179686
Scale it down. Use modern materials.
>>
>>1181003
Fucking new it. Pyrite is shit.

Well, random fuckery happened.

They gotta haul 500 ton of rock that is in that water hole. They bringing me a 3 inch pump and i will continue to try and coble a descent solution. Gamily needed my solar panel so probably going wind or running rita cable.
>>
>>1179458
>Even if you've end up with a really shitty pump that only does like 20gph, my guess is it would
>completely empty it after 2-3 days, assuming that water is like a foot deep at the deepest, and not like 8 feet deep in the middle.

If that's 500ft by 200ft (it's possibly bigger; nothing in the pics gives a good sense of scale) and assuming it's an average of just 0.5ft deep, that's nearly 375,000 gallons of water. at 20gal/day, and assuming it never sees another drop of water again, you're looking at a little over a millennium of pumping to empty it completely.

It probably _evaporates_ faster than that. Even if I'm off by a factor of 10 in that estimate, you can still easily see why you're going to need much more than some shitty little sump/bilge pump to empty it.
>>
>>1181317

51 years you degenerate!
>>
>>1181317
yeah, a few notes. 20gph is 480 gallons/day. if the deepest part of it is 1', then the average depth is probably 3-4", not 6", because water spreads at level, so assuming a reasonably close to level ground, with no dropoffs, the vast majority of the area will be very shallow.

You are correct, there are no good measures of it's size, I was assuming more like 50'X150'
so an ellipse with the dimensions of 50x150 has an area of 23500 sqft (rounded), 3" deep average gives 5875 cubic feet, which gives ~44K gallons. Which yes, would take ~90 days to empty with a terrible 20gph windmill pump.

However, I meant to say that if he capped the spring as suggested earlier, and the water was empty, a few inches of rain partially refilling that pool would probably go away in 2-3 days between evaporation, the arid, no longer waterlogged sand absorbing a fair bit, and the pump getting rid of all the water puddled at the deepest part.

Basically, the point I was trying to make was that the windmill pump would be constant.
Also, commercial windmills are 800gph in light winds, I can't imagine that OP can't cobble together something at least half as good if he tries. So a 400gph pump would kill the 44K gals I estimated in ~4.5 days, and your 375000 gal estimate would be gone in ~39 days.
>>
File: thinking nigger.jpg (19KB, 358x392px) Image search: [Google]
thinking nigger.jpg
19KB, 358x392px
>>1178749
>1.9 MB photo posted from your shitty ass phone.
>Blame the website for being shit

OP your a fagot. But still I wish you luck.

Sense you obviously don't want to spend any money on this even though a tank of fuel for your excavator costs more than a solar pump kit just do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDi_uFSr3w0

and then get this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172578867932
>>
>>1181471
>>1181337

I don't know how I read 20GPH as "20 gallons per day".

Disregard that, I suck cocks, etc. Point is, you either have to hope a cap works and use a smaller pump, or be resigned to the fact that you're going to have to spend more than $20 on this.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.