[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Laser rotary attachment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_5895.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5895.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I desperately need some ideas. I have a stupid tiny laser and I'm trying to engrave some cups. The problem I'm having is that the 'lathe chuck" is too small for them. To fix this, I can use the outside of the jaws to grip the cup, but I don't know how I can align it so the cup doesnt wobble and is aligned correctly. Any ideas?
>>
>>1178443
Post the other end of the fucking cup.
>>
>>1178443
Make a sabot like fixture that is indexable and repeatable.

Something that clamps around the cup, buy has a tail that will fit your chuck
>>
>>1178444
Thank you sir. I just left my shop to grab food and beer. Really stressed out right now. On the other end is the bottom of the cup. Too small of a space to use a centering cone thing so I had to take that off. My only option is using the chuck jaws to push on the inside of the open part of the cup.
>>
>>1178452
I will look into this, thank you so much!
>>
How bout running out the jaws to max, (assuming they are proud if the chuck body when maxed) and shimming the inside of the cup to make up the difference? Also would protect inside finish!
>>
>>1178456
Hmmmm I think I see what you're saying. The jaws extended do leave a gap but my biggest thing is trying to figure out how to keep the rim of the cup aligned with the back edge (black part) of the chuck. I tried gluing small washers on the back side of the jaws as a "stop" but they just peeled right off. :(
>>
File: 3jaw.png (472KB, 896x592px) Image search: [Google]
3jaw.png
472KB, 896x592px
extend the jaws further so the first step on the jaws butts up to the rim

but 3jaw chucks are far from perfect, you will need to probably tap the cups in to place to minimize runout

if this is a large production order, id suggest making a set of softjaws for the cups, if its a small run id tap them into place and use the preview laser to verify their position
>>
>>1178467
Thank you for this. Yeah with the jaws that grip from the inside like that, I can use the last step to grip the 20oz cups, but when I loosen them to take the cup out, the bottom jaw falls out. On the bigger cups it's way too small.

I did see a nylon product (jaws?) that is made to be custom machined to whatever you need, but I don't have a lathe to turn it and it attaches to Nova? Lathe chucks which I don't have.

I went to the woodworking store yesterday with $500 and was determined to buy whatever I needed to make this work, but the guy said none of the chucks would fit my device.

I might need to see if anyone with a lathe can help me with custom jaws. Thank you again for your thoughts.
>>
>>1178476
do you have 2 sets of jaws?
it also doesnt make sense that the jaws fall out when you loosen them by inside gripping

grab a couple smaller cups you have plastic, aluminium, steel what ever
find one that will fit the customers cup
find one that will fit over chuck jaws
if you cut them up a bit you can make them work as softjaws/spacers

it looks like you have a backplate with mounting holes, you can use cup to mount it to the back plate and slide your customers cup over top

i saw cup because cups would be easy to use/find/machine
>>
>>1178506
There are 2 sets of jaws. One for gripping down on stuff and one set for gripping up into something. The jaw on the bottom falls out because it's extended to the max.
>>
>>1178456
Ok how about a nylon ring wide enough to fill the gap? Id should be just a bit bigger then your jaws be for they are ran all the way out. Od should be a tight fit on inside of the cup. I'd imagine you can put a torque on the chuck key to slightly deform the ring to make a tight fit. Make it wide enough with the correct profile to hold the cup for several inches below the lip to make sure ya don't deform the cup. That's the best I can come up with without custom fab of jaws that can fit the cups od.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.