[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Diy home security/automation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: canstockphoto18181778.jpg (261KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
canstockphoto18181778.jpg
261KB, 1600x1200px
Hello /diy/nos

Has anyine ever done DIY hime security? Automation, cameras?

Share here you diy work
>>
I have used Lowes Iris.
Both gen 1 and gen 2.

Gen 1 worked well but was a clunky setup.

Gen 2 i have had a ton of problems.
>>
>>1178231
what is the point of filming a thief?
>>
>>1178238
Evidence. And deterrence

Your not always trying to catch a theif. Maybe its the asshole neighbor kid.

Maybe you record so that if something happens you have video of it. ( like the time i used my video of my house to prove a utility conpany truck hit my car.
>>
Can anyone recommend a system ?
I am looking to do an alarm , and home automation, and cameras, inside and out.

I was thinking a POE camera system, and a self install pro monitored alarm.
>>
>>1178231
I am interested in this thread too
Now that I bought a house, going to set up home surveillance whenever I can get the money for it.

But kind of a side note sort of related, everyone needs to buy a Dashcam for their car.
There are some really good dashcams out there for a reasonable price nowadays.

The $50-100 you invest in a dash cam could save you a lot of money and headaches when something happens on the road.
>>
>>1178238
I have 8 cameras always recording (motion) around my house. There's one on my roof that covers the street,my driveway, and my 2 front neighbors houses also.
It's great to see where your garbage can blew off to. Or who's dog is crapping all over.
I got the video of my idiot kid jumpinf off my garage roof and breaking both his arms. I also got a video of my dog grabbing a bunny and smashing it's head on the driveway.
Also, snowstorms are cool to watch sped up.
>>
Im looking at diy installing a Honeywell vista 20P.

I want sometging that will control zwave, and be wireless.

I have , 12 openings i want covered, glass break in 4 rooms, 7 smoke/fire, 5 CO , 4 motion. Plus about 20 zwave wall switched, 5 zwave outlets
>>
>>1178338
Zwave is a fucking meme and you should feel bad buying into it.

>>1178290
I am an alarm tech. At the moment Paradox and Bosch definitely do the best quality/value home alarm systems. I don't know about programming it yourself though, it's made obtuse and hard to do on purpose.
>>
>>1178317
Recommendations on a dashcam?
>>
>>1178373
I went with an A119, its extremely popular because its somewhat discrete and has decent picture quality.
Its around 75$. There is an optional GPS module that adds GPS, and there is a polarizing lens that stops glare, and hardwire kits and shit.

The people on ebay bundle them and it makes it hard to find just the camera without buying extra stuff. Not to mention there is a version called the A119S that has a better lens, but doesnt really affect picture quality.
>>
Am i a fool for wanting a hardwired system installed in a brick ext lathe and plaster interior house?
>>
>>1178423
An alarm? Most of the cable run will be in your roof so it doesn't make any difference. The hardest thing is getting a cable down for a keypad but with lathe and plaster it's usually pretty easy.

People on this board always harp on about diy wireless alarm shit but honestly it's fucking garbage. A decent, hardwired system is infinitely better. You could prewire it yourself to save on costs if you aren't keen on fitting it off and programming it.
>>
>>1178231
My dad owns a home security company. If you do it yourself you're going to get robbed he has so many clients that did they're own and were robbed because of it.

>protip... if you put a security sticker on your house or one of those little signs in your yard no one will even bother trying to break in
>>
File: i-85qTV35-L.jpg (159KB, 1140x598px) Image search: [Google]
i-85qTV35-L.jpg
159KB, 1140x598px
>>1178490
>hardwired
This.
Wireless is convenient, but pretty shitty overall.

I put a couple of Hikvision IP cams around the house. Motion detection, line crossing, image rotation/mirroring, along with a couple other features. Records to a local SD card in the camera and pushes the videos to a cloud drive when motion is detected, in addition to sending a push notification to my phone.

I wired my house with Cat5E, brought everything into a patch panel in the closet, UPS for all the equipment in there. Runs all my gear for ~90mins.
Put a couple 2-port drops in the attics. Knocked a hole in the eave, pushed the network cable up in there, mounted the camera, plugged the cable from the camera into one of the ports in that corner of the attic, then patched it to a PoE switch in the closet.

Network-wise, I have a VLAN for cameras and that VLAN is firewalled from interwebs and other LANs except for what's needed to work. No access to those camera feeds from off-network, but with VPN I can view them remotely.

Some cameras/NVRs have alarm I/O's, if you wanted to integrate that with an alarm system.
>>
>>1178520
Logic behind your statement?

If i wire in my own dsc neo, and then contract for central motoring, how am i more likely to get robbed, as a diy vs using your dad?

Sounds like a scare tactic.
>>
>>1178544
I am thinking a i peal back the soffit, and run a conduit there, around the perimeter of the house. Have a thock conruit on the back of the house that goes to my server closet in the basement.

Server room has my router, gibibit switch, nas, media server.

Or sneak it in through the wall up in the finished attic. Mount a small rack in a closet with a nvr, and ups

I am planing on 2 bullet cameras on each of the 4 corners of the house, and a ptz at the front and back roof peaks, a front door camera camera. Inside will be 2 cameras, 1 in the garage and 1 at the gun room.
>>
>>1178553
I think he is meaning that unless you know what you are doing it's a waste of time doing it yourself since inevitably you will fuck something up and render it pointless.

I have been into so many /diy/ alarm installs that are doing fuck all. Shit like pirs up 3m+ and you can just crouch under them.

Also
>Dsc

Kek, they used to be good but the new neo range is shit compared to the competition. Do yourself a favor and go Paradox or Bosch.
>>
I am thinking about doing this to get started with arduino and raspberry pi, also thinking about including a phone sensor to set off the lights/camera in addition to motion
>>
>>1178490
This. Whats a cheap bramd that doesnt look like 8 bit? My faggot night owl walmart setup wont even read peoples tags and fucking goes wonky and half the cameras go out daily.
>>
>>1178363
>>>1178338
>Zwave is a fucking meme and you should feel bad buying into it

Why?
>>
>>1178231
those wireless driveway alarms that are $20 on amazon, comes with two sensors and a receiver.

the range really is around 100m too, batteries last one year.
>>
>>1178736
I've been waiting all day to replay to this post. All the LTE networks in Tampa are banned.

I have around 10-12 zwave devices. At any given time, 1-2 are offline. They reappear after 1 business day. No idea why.
1 light never has worked again. The worst part is that commands often fail. At least 1/5 times when turning off lights, it fails. Same with front door lock. The worst part is, my CO2 and smoke detectors are zwave. They report as missing once a month.

I have 3 wifi devices. Never down, always switch properly. WeMo has been the best by far. Excellent range and response time. I use Alexa to control everything.
>>
>>1178363
>Zwave is a fucking meme and you should feel bad buying into it.

There is nothing wrong with Zwave you zigbee fanboi
>>
My z wave devices bever drop.

I have 40 , every light switch anf half my outlets.

My zigbee stuff litterly burst ibto flames, after raping my childhood sweet heart.
>>
>>1178231
reminder that in north america, it is illegal to plug in anything to the mains that isnt approved, so shit like light/fan automation is probably going to get you fucked.

you can get fined for it, and should your house burn down, the fire inspector will fuck your ass and then your insurance company will void your insurance.
>>
>>1178987
Nigga you can't be serious. Do you even automation?
>>
I've got three cameras, One at the front door, one overlooking my driveway, and one for my back yard.
Front door so I can see who's there without needing to walk to the door, back door because I've had people try to break into my shed or steal shit from my yard, and driveway so I get them on camera when they park in my goddamn driveway and load up on my shit.

I've also reinforced my doors and doorframes, and put bars on the windows. They also provide a little extra to mount shutters to when hurricanes come rolling through.
>>
What exactly do I need as far as equipment for home security cameras? Just the camera itself with some mobile app? Do I need a dvr/nvr to connect with it? Or is that only if I want a hard drive to store recorded video on? Hard to find info on what is exactly needed and for what purpose.
>>
>>1178320
>I got the video of my idiot kid jumping off my garage roof and breaking both his arms. I also got a video of my dog grabbing a bunny and smashing it's head on the driveway.

These are wonderful
>>
>>1179139
For a really simple diy system you'd have one or more ip cameras and a computer running nvr software like zoneminder.

Setup the computer to watch all your cameras and make recordings when it detects motion.
As an added bonus, have the computer upload whatever it records to dropbox/google drive/s3 with a cron job to delete recordings over a month old or whenever.
>>
File: i-tjCvqn3-L.jpg (76KB, 799x450px) Image search: [Google]
i-tjCvqn3-L.jpg
76KB, 799x450px
>>1179139
My Hikvision cams have a microSD card slot right on the camera module itself. They record to that, all the logic for recording (motion detection, line crossing, etc) is in the camera. 32GB microSD goes for months for me.

Outside of that, all it needs is power/ethernet - both can be accomplished using a PoE switch.

NVR provides PoE and a central recording/configuration device, vs. managing each camera individually. I'll get one eventually, probably after I move and add a few more cameras.

I've got mine set up to dump to AWS cloud in addition to the local SD card, so should the camera/card disappear I've still got the data...

Hikvision has an app you can connect to, configure that and the cameras through their cloud service and you can get notifications through the phone remotely.

I was surprised how easy the whole system went together.
>>
>>1179287
>Using hikvision cloud

Enjoy all your footage being watched and recorded by the Chinese government.
>>
>>1179102
has to have some listing, cant remember what but ul or some shit. If it doesnt, then you cant plug it in.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.