[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Plz Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

File: smaw.jpg (81KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
smaw.jpg
81KB, 640x480px
After stick welding I blew my nose and my snot was black. I've been breathing that shit indirectly for the past 3 hours but I didn't think it was that bad if my head wasn't over the fumes.

am I fucking up or is it normal
>>
>>1177831
You're gonna die soon, Anon.
>>
You didnt use a mask? The flux probably going to fuck you up. Go to the hospital asap. Have them screen you for heavy metals.
>>
no worries
it's just cancer
>>
>>1177836
is it worse than smoking a pack of cigs a day
>>
>>1177836
I used a welding mask but no respirator. I was working by a garage door but the wind was blowing the fumes around and I just kinda said fuck it.
>>
File: fb7.gif (536KB, 381x512px) Image search: [Google]
fb7.gif
536KB, 381x512px
>>1177844
Doubles of death; go to a hospital, you fuck.
>>
My dad just took up welding a few months ago and almost died from the metal fumes. He was joking about black boogers, but it literally fucked him up severely.

You should probably go to the DR, dude.
>>
>>1177853
And holy shit, THREE HOURS???
My dad had only done like 1 hour of welding, and most of that hour was clamping shit and drinking beer.
>>
>>1177853
if I get a bad cough or anything I will but I think I'm just gonna go to home depot and buy a respirator to wear from now on
>>
>>1177856
no worries I was drinking a lot of beer too. it wasn't three hours straight but three hours of on and off welding with plenty of coors breaks between.
>>
happens, ur fine
>>
>>1177831
You'll be fine, start reading the MSDS sheets and get a mask that fits under your sheild. Try taking a cotton swab to your nostrils if you really wanna have a heart attack
>>
>>1177859
Get the 3m filters that are pink and round. 3092s I think.
>>
Never weld directly on galvanized or brakeclean mate, just Google that shit, it kills you in hours.
>>
File: ggg.jpg (51KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
ggg.jpg
51KB, 512x288px
It is fine eat lots of yogurt
>>
>>1177831
what were you welding? if it was galvanized go to the hospital right now. otherwise you have nothing to worry about, the flux often produces black smoke, though you'd know if you snorted it because it burns like like crazy, most probable cause is any grinding you were doing for prep, abrasive dust will def give you black snot.
>>
I think we were late...
/diy/ in peace OP
>>
>>1178111
never understood why people do this, both are TERRIBLE surfaces to weld on, maybe there is no chemical reason this shits poisonous and it's just the welding gods striking down plebs.

burnt zinc is pretty cool looking tho, it turns to smoke, rises off the surface then becomes a solid as soon as it cools, but retaining it's gas appearance(does anyone know what this is called?), it then floats around as if it had the same weight as air before eventually settling and becoming dust.
>>
>>1177831
You just rediscovered what snot is for OP. Congratulations. Yours is working, and now you have proof.
>>
>>1178131
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgzzDtvXDRs
>>
>>1177836
Fucking stop. Welders breathe that shit all the time. OP should use a mask and proper ventilation.

Now and forever go to WELDING FORUMS because they have ll the answers you seek. /diy/ is not a welding forum. You'll learn much more. It's stupid to post anything about welding here which doesn't direct the questioner to the Miller, migwelding.uk (they cover all processes in Eurofag language), and Weldingweb forums.
>>
>>1177858
Drink a couple large glasses of milk so the mucus helps clear your lungs. Old welder trick you'd know if you used WELDING forums.

Happy welding!
>>
>>1177831
ah you are fine, dont be a bitch, theres men who have been breathing in that shit for 12 hours a day for 40 years
Buy some face masks, and wear em when grinding, welding, sanding or whatever

The truth is, if you are a professional welder, then you are going to die of cancer, probably those who started in the last 10 years or more are gonna be safer, as theres masks now and shit and they wear em when welding
The older guys who have been welding away before all the safety stuff came in, well those guys are going to die of cancer.
I know 4 men who worked as welders fabricators, 3 of them are dead, all in their 60s,
the fourth is after chemo, was cancer free for about a year, now its back and has spread to a few different organs, so he is lucky if he has 12 months left to live

So stupid things like safety glasses, or gloves, might seem like a bit of hassle, but alot of these guys didnt have this stuff 30 years ago, and would probably have wore them and used them if they knew they could have ended up with skin problems, blindness, cancer etc
>>
File: ae235.jpg (13KB, 330x330px) Image search: [Google]
ae235.jpg
13KB, 330x330px
>>1177831
all work shit produces ton of dust use a respirator, or a proper dust mask(preferable one with breathing valve - dont cheap out - dont buy the meme paper ones they are shit,the mask are cheap, overheating and steam in your mask isnt fun) next time, get a bether ventilation and use your head - there is no sutch thing as to many safty gear, if somone tells you tell him to fug him self with a radiator pipe
>>
>>1178243
This.

I use mask, goggles (with sideskirts, as the sparks and metal chips bend time and space) and earmuffs (grandpa was a blacksmith as well and he could hear fuckall, I wonder why...)

Yesterday I saw a guy weld for like 20 minutes without even wearing welding mask... because he is so strong and manly, obviously... He didnt use our perfectly working fume extractors, because he doesnt have time for such shit, he need the time to stand by his ship and chat with mates for hours...
>>
>>1178243
>here is no sutch thing as to many safty gear,
As a professional safety manager, there absolutely is.
>>
File: too_much_safety.jpg (244KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
too_much_safety.jpg
244KB, 1200x900px
>>1178379
you know exactly what i meant
>>
>>1177831
I have done it loads, it never used to bother me as I smoked a lot. When I stopped smoking I realised breathing a load of fumes in was a silly idea.

Grinding dust too. Dust from grinding copper is the worst, it gives this awful sweet taste to me.

wear a mask.

Buy a mask with changeable filters, when you look up the filters, it will say what hazards its for.

>>1178171

+1 for migwelding.uk

Great thread on their that a guy wrote about how he developed asthma and COPD from not wearing a mask the first time he used two pack paint from a whileback.
>>
Yeah op get a mask but honestly you need something rated for gas/fumes, a particulate filter I don't think will do that much good. I personally use a fresh air respirator hood that's mounted in my welding helmet, it pumps in air from 50ft away from the outside of my shop, I use the breathe cool II system by turbine products.
>>
>>1177844
>no respirator
you're fucked
>>
>>1177831
Black boogers are no big deal, your nose is doing its job. Fumes will only fuck you up if you make a career out of it or if you do something stupid like weld galvanized steel. Wear a mask next time.
>>
You have ass cancer and aids, Rip.
>>
>>1178385
>he developed asthma and COPD from not wearing a mask the first time he used two pack paint

Some people are just pussies.

>>1178385
>migwelding.uk
>UK

No explanation needed.
>>
>>1177831
You're fine. Use a respirator when you're doing galvinised or stainless because that shit will make you sick and die.
>>
>>1178385
>migwelding.uk
>>1178566
yeah more like migwelding.pl or migwelding(whateverpakistainindia)
>>
You've been welding for a day. Try thirty years
>>
>>1178128
Grinder dust buggers are best buggers
>>
>>1178580
Stainless doesn't make you sick like galvy friend...
>>
Back when I lived in London and rode the tube every day, every time I blew my nose my snot had black shit in it. Never got ill.
>>
>>1178975
Go weld a bunch of stainless and then tell me how you feel. I promise you'll be throwing your guts up.
>>
>>1178984
So that's where all the shitskins came from.
>>
>>1179004
Wrong. I've been welding stainless daily for 12 years. No respirators or anything. I feel fine. I have black snot after lots of grinding but that's nothing to worry about.
>>
>>1177831
Buy a gas mask, if it handles chemical weapons it should handle fumes too.
>>
Welding is hard on your health, that's why I picked a different trade. I'd like to learn enough to the odd little hobby project, but ya, if you really want to protect your lungs, you need a respirator.

I suppose the possible exception to this is working outside int the wind, which you can do with stick.
>>
>>1179150
Fuck off. You can't see well enough to weld with an NBC mask and they don't have tinted lenses.

Either contribute useful info or piss off back to r3dd1t you worthless n1gg3r.
>>
>>1179379
i can't tell if you're shitposting or serious

>(you)
nevermind.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.