[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Repairing a LED/LCD TV

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20170515_133901.jpg (2MB, 3072x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170515_133901.jpg
2MB, 3072x1728px
Hey guys.
I have this cheap second-hand led tv : Waltham WLHD32D17B. It was working alright for several months but today it broke down.
The red led lights up and then blinks when I'm trying to switch the tv on. But after a few blinks, the screen is still black and there's no sound.

So I opened the thing but no component seems damaged though I didn't look at the at welds on the back of the circuit boards yet.

How can I know what's up with this tv and repair it myself ? I don't really have any electronic equipment like a multimeter or a soldering iron but I could buy the stuff if it's not expensive.
>>
The blinking light is usually an error code. Try to find the error codes for Waltham TVs and it'll lead you in the right direction. If the TV is more than a two-three years old, it's unlikely you'll find spare parts except from a donor TV. If the error code indicates a failed screen, it's not worth trying to fix, as panels often cost as much, or more than the cost of replacing the TV itself.
>>
>>1177663
Alright thanks I'll look into this.
>>
>>1177650

I would recommend buying a simple multimeter with AC and DC voltmeter settings, as well as a ohmmeter setting.

I would start by looking at the yellow board on the right in the picture. I would check capacitors on the board to see if they hold voltage when power is supplied. Also for the electrolytic ones, I would check resistance. Remember polarity for these kind of caps. Red to +, black to -. If the resistance isn't increasing slowly, especially for the electrolytic caps, I would replace the cap.

I had a similar problem with my LED TV recently. If I'm right here your tv isn't leaving its standby voltage due to a component failure on the power board. Luckily, this kind of problem is an easier one to fix.

If you can find a model number or serial number on the power board, then you can find a schematic for it. Now I'm thinking your specific component that failed might be a polypropylene film capacitor at the top center of the board. It's one of the blueish-gray rectangular components next to what appears to be a transformer of some sort (coil of wire that is exposed). I would go ahead and disconnect the power from the board and let these caps discharge for awhile before you do anything though. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MEASURE/IDENTIFY circuit problems with power connected. Especially with problems specific to the power board. If you have to measure potential (voltage) across any capacitor, LET THE POWER CHARGE THE CAP AND THEN DISCONNECT POWER CABLE QUICKLY.

I'll see if I can find any schematic for this board. Godspeed fellow /diy/ brother.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 2122x1503px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 2122x1503px
>>1177736

Here's the parts I would check.
>>
File: 1494869143864.jpg (195KB, 1000x767px) Image search: [Google]
1494869143864.jpg
195KB, 1000x767px
Mini-hijack: what is this resistor? I mean, the purpose is pretty obvious, but:
1. What color is the second ring from the left supposed to be?
2. What is the value of that resistor? 4.7M?
3. What is it called? "Safety rated resistor" etc. didn't produce any useful results.
>>
>>1177769
>Waltham WLHD32D17B
Just look it up
http://www.wiringdiagrammanual.com/e/action/ListInfo/?classid=313
>>
>>1177736
>>1177746
Wow thanks for the answer.
I actually put the rear cover back so I'll have to open it again later but I'll buy a multimeter first to check these components.
I'll report back when I'm ready to do the tests.
>>
>>1177775

I ain't clickin on no ads nigga
>>
>>1177778

Keep in mind these capacitors may be rated for high voltage. The one I replaced was 630v. Also, forgot to add this. I would buy a multimeter with a capacitance setting. Using this setting is alot easier to find bad capacitors in circuit.

However, if you do decide to go with a basic multimeter, i.e. one with only voltmeter, ohmeter, ammeter, etc. You may not be able to use a resistance test of the capacitor, as it will be so small and not register.

From Quora:

>Since the range of capacitors you might commonly encounter is 10 pf to 1000 uF that's 14 orders of magnitude so with small values you won't see the ramp and large values the ramp will be very long...
Values around .1 to 1 uF you can readily see

The cap i replaced on my board was .018 uF, so the resistance test for this capacitor didn't register (too small) on my basic multimeter. I had to use one with a capacitance setting to check the capacitance.

Anyways, do some research. Buy a good multimeter with all the functions. You may not need them now, but they will come in handy.
>>
im sure 80% of the problem is a bad capacitor... they are known to be the #1 failure in any LCD tv or monitor that was build with cheap ass electrolytic capacitors,
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.