[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Solar boat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: solarboat.jpg (141KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
solarboat.jpg
141KB, 800x600px
I have this trolling motor: https://www.mygreenoutdoors.com/minn-kota-traxxis-45-tm-12v-45lb-36-shaft-remanufactured-1379323/?gclid=CjwKEAjw3drIBRCOwfC-_qqyjQ8SJADvoWQpo409quGe5GU3aOdNeqCblxQ4oSH-sZxLJxfWHnE52xoC-FTw_wcB

How much PV do I need to fully power it? I want to be able to run the motor directly off solar at full thrust during a sunny day, using battery only after sun down or if a cloud crosses the sun.
>>
>>1177082
>run the motor directly off solar

This will kill the solar panel. You need a battery and solar charge controller at the very least. The motor should draw from the battery, not the panel.
>>
>>1177087

How could it kill the panel? I have seen many solar powered RC cars and boats that don't seem to have that problem, like the Tamiya Solar Eagle
>>
>>1177082
>Clouds cover the sun
>Boat sinks

Seems like a bad idea to me
>>
>>1177119

Why would it sink? It would just draw from the battery to make up the difference until the cloud fucks off.
>>
File: 5ial0.jpg (665KB, 2074x1555px) Image search: [Google]
5ial0.jpg
665KB, 2074x1555px
>>1177082
4chin always takes good ideas and makes them dumb.

I've built a few electric kayaks so maybe I can be of help.
First, a reality check. Trolling motors are efficient at low speed, a big puffy boat like that probably doesn't have a sweet spot for speed/power but slow will always be more efficient.
Trolling motors come in two types. A 'resistance' style which is the older and more common type. It has a bank of resistors to control power. When you turn the knob, you aren't actually feeding more power, just dumping less power to heating a resistor. The more modern types use a PWM style brushed motor controller.
Either way, you'll want to convert to a programmable PWN controller...a cheap 30a ebike controller will work well and go ahead and replace the 'throttle' with the 0-5k ohm throttle that comes with your ebike controller.
Next, you'll want to hookup a 'watt meter' to tell you power usage and remaining voltage.
Now hookup your battery and go drive around. Use the watt meter to find the sweet spot of speed vs power ... from there you can figure out how much solar you'll need.
You'll find you'll be in excess of 2kw pretty easily. A modern solar panel is roughly 250watts at high noon and takes up 3ftx2ft ... so you'll get maybe 750w from a 'solar canopy' like your pic related.

It's a good idea, you just need to start with a more efficient platform and use the solar power to charge while ashore and keep the sun off you ... not expect it to power all your needs at the drop of a hat.

Hope that helps anon.
>>
>>1177137

It does help. Maybe my first solar boat won't be totally self powering but I won't give up on the idea, I know it's possible. A used pontoon boat ought to have the kind of surface area I need, right?
>>
>>1177138
Yeah, it's possible - but as hull area goes up, power/$/weight scale way up. I'd start with a kayak/canoe - then look at adding an outrigger to support the solar panels.

Get the trolling motor/watt meter/pwm controller working first, then take a small <1kw battery pack (should take up 1/2 a backpack) and visit your local dock and ask to try it out on different boat types.

Lastly, check endless-sphere for 'trolling motor' and you'll find a few small boat projects to get you started.
>>
>>1177175

Thanks! This is exciting. Lots of people make electric bikes or w/e but solar electric boats are still pretty rare.
>>
https://youtu.be/V7flR0O-coU

Dude made a good solar boat.

>>1177087

Seriously? Using solar panels kills them? I thought they were good for decades!!

Don't ruin my dream of a solar boat
>>
>>1177088
>>1177223
Motors cause voltage spikes, I don't think it's recommended to run it without anything to absorb those spikes.
>>
>>1177088
Those have batteries too. It is one thing to kill a small tiny solar panel that is cheap to replace, but it isn't so fun to replace on that costs $200-$500. You always need a battery and solar charge controller with solar panels.
>>
>>1177223
>not understanding how batteries play a part in solar power systems.
Not going to make it
>>
>>1177082

Based on the specs I'd say that's about a 1/2 to 3/4 Hp motor, so about 500W draw. You're going to drain your battery flat when it's not perfect sun outside so probably 750W or 1kW to be safe.

I've done the whole trolling motor on a inflatable dingy thing. It gets old fast. Having to carry that stupid 50lb battery everywhere and moving as slow as a snail. Boating is boring enough by itself, but when your boat is unable to move in a small breeze because you're using a fucking trolling motor, that's when you start to question what you're doing with your life.
>>
>>1177241
Personally, I'd just use a paddle boat. They even have pontoon versions.
>>
>>1177137
>extreme danger
>waist high wall
wew lad.
>>
>>1177087
>>1177088
Any solar system should have a battery. This is a basic part of irregular generation systems.

Also, OP mentioned about using. abattery on the first place.
>>
File: Solardinghy1-21-412x550.jpg (62KB, 412x550px) Image search: [Google]
Solardinghy1-21-412x550.jpg
62KB, 412x550px
>>1177082
There was a sailing couple here in Victoria, BC who sell a solar kit for Zodiac inflatables:

http://www.threesheetsnw.com/blog/2012/05/couple-go-green-with-electric-solar-powered-dinghy/

>>1177137
Trying to figure out where that pic was taken....
>>
>>1177530
>Also, OP mentioned about using. abattery on the first place.

OP stated:

>"run the motor directly off solar"

Everyone told him he needs to use a battery with it instead. OP's post makes it sound like he's going to have the battery separate from the system then hook it up when there's no sun.
>>
use some oars you fat piece of shit
>>
Just use a sailboat you stupid fuck
>>
>>1177223
Lol! This guy is insane
>>
>>1177123
>cloud cover
>no sun
what part dont you get? go back to /b/
>>
>>1177257
Anon u ever paddle one of those cunts.

0/10 would do again.
>>
>>1178863
>acting smart when you don't know shit : the post

https://solarpowerrocks.com/solar-basics/how-do-solar-panels-work-in-cloudy-weather/
>>
>>1177175
>>1177187
Not OP, but I like this idea.

I have a poly canoe that I can dick around with, but instead of a trolling motor I was thinking drilling a hole out the rear and running a shaft through it. I'll rig up some rudder for steerage instead.

Basically I want a "fast" electric canoe.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.