[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get some 240v things for my shop. My compressor and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: WATDFDSAD.jpg (89KB, 1136x704px) Image search: [Google]
WATDFDSAD.jpg
89KB, 1136x704px
I want to get some 240v things for my shop. My compressor and air conditioner are currently 120 and I want to get new ones. My AC is on dedicated circuit on this panel, my compressor shares a breaker with some other outlets. Do I even have room to add the required breakers to do this? Why do slots 6 and 7 look the way they do?
>>
>>1176915
Each slot alternates which phase it's using so you have two left on one phase and one left on the other, so you should have enough space.
Check the motor plate of your compressor, you might be able to just change the wires to 240v
>>
>>1176915
Usually sub panels like that don't allow you to use the first and last space, I can see your last space has no bus bar. Why this is I don't know. Looks like your second to last space is that way to prevent two pole breakers but don't alright that as gospel. Just an educated guess. Looks like a 100 amp sub and I'd say you could move some things around to make space but your right at Max capacity if you want to avoid tying circuits together to add your two pole shit.
>>
>>1176925
I just want a new one with more air delivery anyway.
>>1176929
It's a 60 amp
>>
I got to thinking, I have 6 outlets split between 2 breakers. I only had it that way cause I had planned on having all 120 stuff and didn't want to overload anything. If I moved all the heavy draw stuff to 240 I could consolidate my outlets onto 1 breaker and free up a space.
>>
Your panel isn't big enough. I'd put in a 20 to 24 space box. Their foot print isn't much bigger then the 6 slot you got and they cost fifty to a hundo.
>>
>>1176925
I actually am same fag and think I am full of shit now.

Also> White hot and green hot? what the hell is going on here.
>>
>>1176956
Home gamer's don't care about 200.6 or 250.119. I bet if that box has a bonding screw it's installed.
>>
>>1176956
FREE WIRE NIGGA
>>
>>1176956
isn't white "neutral" and green ground? in every residential box I've seen (Chicago area) the ground and neutral (white) are eventually connected inside the box. my current house is like that. house I grew up in was like that. house scheduled for demolition that I pulled a sweet full size electric panel out of including all the breakers (I had permission from owner) was like that. all the whites go to a 'bar' (as seen in this pic) and that bar is also connected to ground at some point within the box.
>>
>>1177031
neutral and ground should be tied together back at the main panel so, in theory, you should have two hots, a neutral and a ground running back to the main. There is probably a two-pole breaker, maybe a hundred amp, back in the main house panel to supply those two hots.

>>1176915
It would not be crazy to upgrade that panel. Personally I would add a disconnect in it's own enclosure ahead of that panel to make it easy to kill all the power you are using in there before tinkering or in emergencies.
>>
File: IMG_0021.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0021.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>1176915
If detached I highly recommend just upgrading to a new panel for 70 bucks with a main breaker. It's super convenient to be able to turn the shop on and off and will solve your space issue.
>>
File: 1494705993914.jpg (187KB, 1136x704px) Image search: [Google]
1494705993914.jpg
187KB, 1136x704px
>>
>>1176915
what does the cover look like?
are there two more spaces to be broken out?
>>
>>1177061
What if he wants them on separate circuits? Also, 6/3 wire is fucking expensive.
>>
>>1176915
did you seriously use white and green for your 2 hot legs? fuckin christ man have some respect for yourself.
>>
>>1177069
It was free wire from work, I have colored electrical tape on the bottom of it :(
>>
>>1177072
It still gets an eyeroll, but you need to cover the whole visible part of the wire with the right tape to be right with code.
>>
>>1176929
>Usually sub panels like that don't allow you to use the first and last space,
why?
>>
>>1176915
>America
>Only have 120 & 240V circuits
>need larger cables and switch-gear.
>mfw 230V supply as standard, already have 400V 3 phase to my workshop.

Freedom!!!
>>
>>1177031
that's called a TN-C-S system, anon
>>
>>1177185
I have 1700 volts to my property.
120/240 volt, 600 amp supply off my transformer.
I can have another transformer installed if I wanted it.
Why would I need 400v 3phase in my shop?
Do you plan on having an industrial press?
This isn't the 1950's, we've made advancements in electric motors you know...
>>
>>1177244
practically anything more powerful than a hair dryer gets 3 phases here.
>>
>>1176915
the incoming white wire does not look to be the proper gauge for 80amps of power to begin with. this also looks like a 110v sub panel not a 240v. I see the round lug on the left a neutral on the right top and a hot leg on the bottom left. I don't see two hot legs here. if this is the case you would need a new panel and new wires of the correct size pulled for it.
>>
>>1177252
you are incorrect, he's got 2 hot legs and a neutral, and hopefully a ground.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.