[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Home internet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

File: 20170513_084336.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170513_084336.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Couldnt find the answer online for this. We just ordered internet and are doing the self install thing but none of my three wall coax cables are working. I can find the splitter in the wall and connecting to the main one also doesnt work. I havent gone up into the attic to check yet if theres something up there. I went outside and all I see are three connections on the ground that look like this. Is that normal or is that some type of lock. I dont wanna end up calling a tech if its just a matter of connecting a single cable somewhere. Any ideas?
>>
File: OneInternetMam.png (943KB, 819x644px) Image search: [Google]
OneInternetMam.png
943KB, 819x644px
>>
>>1176720
What weird planet do you live on where service providers allow unqualified, unlicensed plebs like yourself tack whatever the fuck they want onto their network under the guise of a self install?
>>
>>1176726

Usually the self install is hooking up the cable box for the tv and the modem for internet. Should only take about 2 minites If all the connections are good.
>>
File: 7puio.jpg (216KB, 1920x1331px) Image search: [Google]
7puio.jpg
216KB, 1920x1331px
>>1176720

Self install is just plugging it in to the already available wall coaxial outlet, if that plug doesnt work thats then end of your "self install" They need to send a tech no to check signal to the wires and see if the wire is damaged. More than likely you have a buried cable that was severed.
>>
>>1176753

Come to think of it, also if you have ever had dish those lazy techs like to unplug cable going into the house and splice in the cable coming from the dish antenna, you could also make sure the cable company cable is going into your house and not the dish cable
>>
>>1176720
The cable company is responsible for the line coming from the pole all the way to your house. Their responsibilities end at the end of that wire. You can choose to pay them to run wires inside your house, for an additional fee, or you can choose to do that yourself.

Start by finding the cable coming from the telephone pole to your house. See what it's connected to, if anything. Then follow that and see where it pops out in your house. In a worst case, run a piece of coax from their drop on the outside of your house to wherever you want it in the house.

Lots of times, people will just disconnect certain runs of coax in their house because they no longer need them. They rarely remove the actual wire though, since it means going in to the attic. Now it's your job to sort through all those old wires or install a new one. You will definitely have to go in the attic. Post results.
>>
>>1176776
Good God I'm glad I don't live in the US, where broadband takes 3 months to install and costs an arm and a leg for shit-tier quality.
>>
File: how europeans see america.webm (3MB, 490x266px) Image search: [Google]
how europeans see america.webm
3MB, 490x266px
>>1176754
Fucking dish techs are monsters. I swear they hike into the worst part of the attic and cut your shit on purpose.

>>1176720
Looks like shit. Sweep your leaves up, fool.
If you get the cable company out they might put a demarc box up, but that might cost you.

Pictured isn't a lock, it's a waterproof boot around your cable. The red tag is probably your feed in from the cable company.

If you currently had cable tv, this should work if you hook it up to your cable tv outlet, if no where else. If it doesn't, then you have no choice but to have a tech out.

>>1176938
Okay, Muhammad.
>>
File: i-RSM27sm-L.jpg (75KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
i-RSM27sm-L.jpg
75KB, 800x451px
>>1176959
>Fucking dish techs are monsters. I swear they hike into the worst part of the attic and cut your shit on purpose.
this, fuck those guys.

>>1176959
>waterproof boot
thisguygetsit.jpg
>red tag is probably your feed in
Yup. Identifies the circuit you're on from the node.

If you want to do things right, pull cable in your house to all the rooms - cat5e (or cat6), RG6U. Use one of the utp's for telephone, other one(s) for data, and coax for RF.
Bring it all to a patch panel.
Pull another cable from the demarc points (telephone, ONT, cable box, etc) into the rack.
Label appropriately. Patch the connections you need, rack a switch for data, mount splitters/power bricks/etc to the wall, put it all on a UPS.
>>
File: Tone-signal.generator.tracer.jpg (9KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
Tone-signal.generator.tracer.jpg
9KB, 300x225px
>>1176720
Hehheh... Shaw Cable guy here. That takes me back. I used to trace these mystery wires after Joe-homeowner or a dish guy has messed with them.

Really hard to say what is what in the pic & not seeing the physical layout. I'm assuming by the pic your drop is buried/underground or is there a little grey box on the side of your residence? The red plastic tie is probably your drop. With out a toner it's a crap shoot where each line goes & which outlet they feed (or more if there's a walled in splitter). Hook all the lines up and systematically test each outlet is about all you can do unless you buy a similar unit pictured.

Even better but out of financial range for most is a TDR (time domain reflectometer) or 'scope' for short. It's like a radar and sends pulses down the co-ax line and will tell you whether there is a break or a short circuit and the distance to the fault. It will even show splices and splittrrs if you know how to read the visual display. A properly equipped tech should have one.

I first confirm signal to the house. Then attach the tone generator to the target outlet. Go back outside to where all the lines to the outlets start and use the probe to find which line it is. If no tone then I would go back inside & put the TDR on the target outlet and see where & what was going on.

If the house was loop-wired (fuck, what a pain..) then you might need to check behind each cable outlet and see if there is an ancient Radio Shack splitter or the line disconnected behind a wall plate. It's time consuming. I have crawled into a lot of ugly & sketchy places following cable lines. Trailers are the worst.

When I finally traced a line I always labelled it so the next guy down the road who is trying to troubleshoot will have it a bit easier.

Hope this helps & good luck eh.
>>
I hate fuckin techs in general. Cable tech comes to my roommates house. Sets up the modem in my room and sets my network settings to share all my shit. Told him to get the fuck off my computer.

Dell tech comes to my house to replace my motherboard and video card. He takes to long and pretty much told him to fuck off and finished the job myself.

Got like 5 more tech tales, but fuckin tired. I swear these guys act like we are retarded.
>>
>>1176776
This.

I've worked as a cable tech, and chances are, the drop is active. Find where it connects and tone the lines out or follow them visually. If they're pre-run behind outlets, good luck.

as to >>1176720, those are shitty, old compression fittings with "waterproof" boots. From the looks of it, satellite, probably Direct. Your cable company will have one drop from the pole/jbox and a splitter, satellite will usually have 2-4 feeds and diplexers/nodes/or other funky splitters.
>>
>>1177103
I always loved trailers, they're easy to get under, and nobody cares if you punch a line through the floor. Also, thank you for labeling the lines, you are a saint.
>>
>>1177166
That is the nice part about trailers. Easy to run wires, and guaranteed work because they are always going bad because they are trailers.
>>
>>1177166
They're great, except for the dead animals and spiders.
>>
>not having an isp who does free installs.

>order Internet for new house
>free install
>Tech sees where it's coming in
>explain to me he really isn't supposed to run new line for cable internet.
>explain that my office is on the other side of the house so wireless will be shit.
>bro runs a new wire to the office for me.

Another new house story
>order internet
>free install
>installer comes out
>your cable line from our box to your house is shit anon
>going to install this amp for you
>free cable line amp and install

Love the independent contractors who've hooked me up over the years.
>>
>>1177166
>>1177246
>>1177166
>labelling lines
Professional courtesy. If we were the 1st at a new build, we'd even pull in a 2nd string thru the underground conduit for the Telus guys to use when they showed up. The did the same for us as well.

True, trailers are easiest for installs (which I never did a UBE's job).. I just hated it for the rotting sagging insulation, spiders galore, dirt/dust (we have a Hanta virus issue), puddles of water, and the worst--->raw sewage. Yuck.
>>
>>1177300
Did they ever come back and replace your drop and remove the amp? Amplifiers are just a band-aid fix (unless you have 22 outlets like one house I went to). And ones that boost the return signals are detrimental to the rest of the node as they also boost the noise floor.

Just curious is all.
>>
>>1177345
Dumbest shit here in the states is cable and telco absolutely refuse to share conduit, even if it's customer provided. It has to be on the customer side of the demarc and even then we hate it.
>>
Op here. Finally getting back to this. So outside my house I have two green boxes, only one of them is labeled att broadband undeground yada yada yada. Then nearby I have those black wires sticking up. They also run into this white plastic pipe along the outside of my house. Next to that, higher up, I have a silver att box on the side of my house that also is labelled for broadband. I will try to get up to my attic shortly. Is there a chance the line does not run into my attic? I dont see any cables coming to my house from any poles outside
>>
>>1176720
>>1177461
Nigga did you order internet service from att or the cable company. If you ordered it from att you need to go plug it into a phone jack, not a cable outlet.
>>
>>1176725
*ma'am, btw
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.