[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pink Fiberglass Insulation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 9694.jpg (21KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
9694.jpg
21KB, 450x300px
Is it dangerous if it is exposed to open air near where you sleep? I am in the upstairs of my house and it is in my closet into room that never got finished. If it is dangerous how do I fix it?
>>
>>1176583
it will make your skin itchy and you will cough if you breath it. that's about it. then you go take a shower.

It's fiberglass, not asbestos.
>>
>>1176583
I lived around exposed fiberglass for my entire childhood and I'm fine. Fiberglass breaks across the fiber, not lengthwise like asbestos, so the particles stay big enough for your lungs to clear out.
>>
>>1176585
>>1176583

Thanks anons.
>>
File: i-sVRGNCm-L.jpg (114KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
i-sVRGNCm-L.jpg
114KB, 800x451px
>>1176583
It's shitty to deal with, that's about the worst of it.

I'd buy a few sheets of 1/2" sheetrock, a box of screws, tape/joint compound, and finish it off. Shouldn't cost more than $100 and a weekend.
>>
I really don't buy that continual exposure to this shit has no longer term health effects. There is huge money involved in the business, given that almost every house is insulated with it.

Glass fibres are fucking nasty. I work with fibre optic cable and have several small fibre splinters still in one finger that I will have to dig out one day because the body just cannot eject the stuff. I fail to see how your lungs can eject even smaller shards of glass.
>>
it's also a really good sound absorber so if you leave it exposed it'll deaden the reverb/reflections in the room

it's also non-flammable
>>
just pin a sheet over it, cheap and easy fix to put your mind at ease.
>>
>>1176690
Ghetto tier advice op. Some drywall , screws, plaster and paint will take a few hours and you'll learn practical skills.
>>
>>1176693

this nigga is sleeping in an unfinished room and asking if it will kill him, do you really think hes gonna do some work
>>
File: feelsgood.jpg (20KB, 329x357px) Image search: [Google]
feelsgood.jpg
20KB, 329x357px
>>1176694
Kek true that.

Also
>Tfw someone replies quickly to (you) on /diy/
>>
>>1176583
yeah, please fix it. a few dollar store painter's drop cloths and some packing tape should be fine.
it's not super dangerous as long as it's not disturbed, because no new pieces will be breaking off.
>>1176690
no, it needs to be airtight, the dangerous tiny fibers will blow right through a sheet. you want a plastic drop cloth or garbage bags etc and tape. probably cheaper than a cloth too.

>>1176585
>>1176589
>>1176652
Yeah, no. Fiberglass is not as bad as asbestos because your lung can form cysts around the small pieces, while asbestos fibers are too long and continue to cause irritation. You absolutely get permanent lung damage from fiberglass exposure though (if slowly).

>>1176589
would you be able to tell if you had 5-10% less lung capacity than you otherwise would have?

>>1176640
true for a day or so, or even a few hours every week. But he sleeps there, so his exposure is >9hrs/day average, so way more than a construction guy who does fiberglass like 5-10hrs a week on average.
honestly if it's going to be fixed in two or three months, i wouldn't worry, but if you're going to be dealing with it 2-3 years, just cover it up with something nonporus.
>>
>>1176694
OP here, It is in my closet behind my closet. Will post pics later.
>>
>>1176640
OP here again this is exactly what it is like in the room I was talking about.There is a hidden door in my closet that leads to a room like this so I do not think I have been exposed to it that much but will take your guys suggestions and tape some plastic over this shit in a few weeks and also lay some spare pieces of wood on top of that. Maybe I could make into a workshop. Since some anons said to put drywall over it, it is on the floor between the ceiling downstairs and the upper level.
>>
Semi unrelated to the topic, but why don't Americans use mineral wool for wall and floor insulation instead of fibreglass? It's a better insulator on top of not being so terribly itchy. Is it just cheaper?
Where I live fibreglass isn't even commonly available because nobody wants it. It's just an outdated material
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.