[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a built in speaker system in my new home. How would I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 10

I have a built in speaker system in my new home. How would I get this to work?
>pic related
>>
File: 1481772342822.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1481772342822.gif
1MB, 500x281px
>>1176458
bumping for justice!
>>
File: 1488079592692.jpg (90KB, 555x569px) Image search: [Google]
1488079592692.jpg
90KB, 555x569px
>>1176463
imma keep bumping this shit i swear to god
>>
File: 1471783386669.gif (485KB, 500x211px) Image search: [Google]
1471783386669.gif
485KB, 500x211px
>>
File: 1470880976852.png (454KB, 1500x1543px) Image search: [Google]
1470880976852.png
454KB, 1500x1543px
>>
>>1176458
>>pic related
i don't know, all i see are RF coax cables, rf amplifiers, and unshielded twisted pair blocks( ethernet/phone )
>>
File: 1480026313090.jpg (44KB, 625x416px) Image search: [Google]
1480026313090.jpg
44KB, 625x416px
>>1176475
what would i plug that into?
>>
File: 1469123891268.png (16KB, 174x231px) Image search: [Google]
1469123891268.png
16KB, 174x231px
this shit was like this when i moved in clusterfuck lemme tell you
>>
>>1176458
>google the items inside the box
>find instruction from manufacturer
>?????
>>
>>1176458
>>1176463
>>1176466
>>1176469
>>1176471
>>1176478
>>1176480
/diy/ is a slow board, you don't have to fucking bump it.

Just like what >>1176475 said, none of that is speaker related. It's for TV, phone, and Ethernet. Your speaker wires are probably somewhere else, typically behind the main TV system but could be in a closet somewhere too. If you find it you'll need a multichannel amp to run it all, plus some sort of reciever for sources. You should just call a pro desu.

T. Former AV installer.
>>
Jesus Christ what a fucking mess, get some tools and tidy that shit up Anon. But yeah, no speaker gear in there, just your coax, phone lines and what looks like a phone cable from your alarm.

t. Alarm installer.
>>
>>1176458
rip it all out and try again.

that box has nothing to do with the sound system
>>
>>1176458
the good news, you got some evidence of a structured wiring distro system going on there - you should have a Coax and a Cat5 jack in every/most rooms, no? - but that (Pic) is just a wiring hub. Thing bottom left, furrinstance, is a TV cable distribution amp, sends TV signals to connected room jacks - its also not connected to shit, the CATV/antennae socket on the right is the input, rest are outputs. Someone been playing wid da cables.

Be interested, what you actually got for room speaker systems installed, if any- must be either active speakers inbuilt, or an amp(s) somewhere, wall mounted volume controls, what? There may also have been a central hub AV controller or similar, but, it saf aint in that pic.

Wiring is def. the worst part tho, you maybe already got something usable there, the rest is figuring out what you want, whole-house audio over Cat5, example - but if thats all there is in that pic, theres nothing sound specific, and theres basically nothing but the wiring. Youd need to detail the rest of what you got in-room, speakers, amps, etc. - to figure out if thats worth a shit first; otherwise, you got cables, figure out what you want for end result and get an installer, or spend the next 6 months Googling shit (and being none the wiser at the end).
>>
What is pic related for 200 Alex?
>>
>>1176782
so, I could play a record on my turntable, and hear that in any room, all for $200? cool.
>or, would I additionally need a Sonos connect @ $4-$500, just to inject analog from my $500 phono pre-amp, then have to fuck around with Sonos propietary apps and smartphones and shit and another $200 (per fucking speaker) just to hear everything in shit quality, etc?
wireless shit like Sonos doubtless has its justifiable uses, like in otherwise hard-to-reach/DGAF corners, shower/shitter, etc. - wired be inarguably better tho, where/when possible, Man said he got 'a built-in system' already in-place - just, no-one seen any evidence of it till now.
>>
>>1176797
Eh, I dunno. I've got (2) play 5s and (2) play 1s. I have a tv plugged in to the aux of one play 5, and my record player plugged in to the aux of the other play 5. The whole system put together covers my 2600 sqft house. The app is incredibly easy to use. You can play pandora, tunein, and a ton of other services with no computer involved. I have it mapped to a shared directory of my entire music collection on my real computer, and when we bbq outside, I just move one of the play 1s outside and continue to listen. The audio quality is good but not great. If you are a true audiophile, you're going to have to pay twice the cost of a sonos system no matter what, just to get the 17khz signals that I can't hear anyway. Plus, we have had this system in the two places that we lived before buying a house, and it literally couldn't be easier to move it or reconfigure it.

All in all, we've dumped around $1400 in to this system that has lasted for years so far, is very easy to use or change, and has better sound quality than the bookshelf speakers and radio shack amp that OP will likely use. Plus you can upgrade it incrementally so you don't need all the money up front. Maybe it won't work for you and your specific situation, but it works great for us. Would recommend.
>>
>>1176823
cheers for the review (plug..? ;) - must confess, never actually heard/used a Sonos system - as said tho, wouldn't argue their valid usage cases, even for 'audiophiles' - non-main room usage, outdoor, workshops, people in apartments that cant be fucked with wiring etc. Still, the quality thing would maybe bug me, if I'm gonna spend $1.5k - if own house, prefer wired, and wireless only for convenience/secondary use - mostly on PC and headphones nowadays anyway, for some reason. Topic at hand was OP getting existing system running rather than 'wut buy?' - maybe he'll resurface after giving up trying to get a tune out of his coax amps.
>>
>>1176458
I always hated the design of those 110 blocks. There's no provision for wire management. There's 110 blocks that do have it built in. And it's almost universally standard on 66 or krone blocks. Just these shitty 110 blocks they put in these media cabinets they sell at home depot.

I'd advise getting a big pack of zipties and big pack of adhesive backed ziptie anchors. http://alexnld.com/product/10pcs-20-20mm-black-self-adhesive-cable-tie-mounts-positioning-pieces/

Like everyone else has said though, there's no sign of speaker wires in there. All the cat5s are also currently wired up as phones, all the wires are in common, you can't carry data on them, you'd have to completely redo them on a data patch panel. Which also sucks for troubleshooting, another reason I hate these blocks)
>>
File: 66 block.jpg (76KB, 391x581px) Image search: [Google]
66 block.jpg
76KB, 391x581px
>>1176865
Quick and dirty 66 block. My only regret is not having enough blocks in my truck to terminate all her pairs properly. But it was just pots and she was never really going to use more than one line.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.