[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm not talking about electric or carpentry, something simple

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: DSC_0265-1680.jpg (262KB, 1680x1120px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0265-1680.jpg
262KB, 1680x1120px
I'm not talking about electric or carpentry, something simple such as bricklaying or plastering. I am pretty sure I'm dyscalculic, I learn numbers very slowly. (I add on my fingers, etc)

any /tradesmen/ here who could give advise..or hope?
>>
Shouldn't be too hard. Don't expect to rise through any ranks too quickly if you don't show any initiative for management or people skills.

But getting by as a labourer should be simple enough. If you can follow set measurements already given on a blueprint, you should be successful enough.
>>
>>1175376
Honestly, it's following measurements that fucks me over, and applying them to the actual project
>did woodwork in highschool and found it to be a nightmare
>>
>>1175374
>trade
>bad at maths preventing you from tradesman

hahahahahahahahahahahahashahaHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHSAHASE8H[9-E[IJQ8138=9GRE0=9UEQG90=RUTQWERU90134U195JU1IJGVIODFNBKOJHTI9P23U5Y4875819R13GQ8JEIFEQIRT859QGFJODFOIR3Q49851283490FUJSKLWKWEFIJOSIHWER9U=0239=8U0SRKNLDSVKWEFIU[OPQ9UFSADKASIW9ASDF
>>
>>1175378
What the hell is your problem?

"Ah, paper says 232, so I use my measuring tape and mark off two hundred and thirty two milimeters."

"Well what a surprise, I have a mark here, this means I should lay bricks up until this point."

What is so hard to follow exactly?
>>
>>1175397
>t. a sheltered existence, far from irl building sites and 'workers', the post.
While your demands maybe theoretically reasonable, in practice, someone you can rely on to measure and mark properly, every-fucking-time, is seldom. The remainder, you should know roughly at what time in the afternoon they'll be drunk enough to fall into the cement mixer, never mind rely on them to work accurately to blueprints and shit.
>>
>>1175374
Your hardest problem is going to be estimating & calculating materials; but if you stick to working in metric it's all multiplying by 10/100/100.
>>
>>1175397
to be honest most buildings which use brick are designed to brick dimensions, so its not even that hard, its more like, lay 23 bricks for this run.
>>
>>1175374
>I'm dyscalculic, I learn numbers very slowly.
i'm not saying i don't believe this is a thing (i don't) but i know plenty of people who are thick as shit but can do things when they are interested in it.
i know a guy who dropped out of school because he was shit at algebra. you could put an equation and values infront of him and he couldn't plug them in never mind actually do the calculations, always got mixed up with times tables, all of it, fucking useless.
played poker with him once and my fucking jaw dropped, he was a fucking sauvant, could tell you the odds for any hand he had, reeled off the outs and probabilities and statistics and shit like it was his first language.
he was moaning about being shit with numbers and i said to him you can work out poker stats ok and he just refused to consider it maths. he couldn't do maths so how could he do that? it must have just not been maths.
same with lots of builders, ask them a fraction of a number and the just look at you, ask them a fraction of a distance and they pull it out of fucvking thin air.
so basically if you want to be a brickie just fucking do it, nobody can do anything without practice, some people just need to find something engaging to understand things.
if you aren't keeping up don't worry, they will let you know lol.
>>
>>1175438
good stuff, and valid point about it being all in the mind/association, mostly - knew a DJ who stuttered bad af irl, put a microphone in front of him tho? talk you up a flawless storm, not a bother. Point maybe being, Oliver Sacks MD shit by side - OP, dont even start associating construction work or whatever with them big bad numbers and 'mathematics, n shit' - you just tripping yourself up at a first hurdle that dont exist, all for no reason. You show up reg'lar, sober, willing to do your best while having a generally pleasant demeanor? no-one ever gonna demand more - start off laboring, soon figure what else you capable of. And you maybe find you can into numbers better than you think, only, you may need not to be thinking about it, in those terms, first.
>>
Welding (not fitting) doesn't require much math but does require persistence. If you get good at pipe welding you can make serious money.

>>1175438
is correct in many cases.
>>
I got a mason and a labourer working for me who are 100% illiterate.

When they sign for their wages one signs with an X that looks like Jamie fox wrote it and the other makes a strangely consistent scribble.

Jamie fox can count though, but scribble can't do that. Scribble yet again surprises when he mixes consistently PERFECT cement.

They are the first two I ever call on for projects.
>>
>>1175438

I am really shit with educational mathematics and failed terribly, even dropped out of university because of mathematics in my engineering course (somehow excelled in the mechanical and electrical engineering elements) but after entering my company as a driver I got quickly moved into managing the warehouse and now I am a cross between quantity surveyor and a site manager.

Why? "Because you is good with dem numbers" as i have been told by some colleagues.
>>
>>1175409
Yeah.. I can cut wood to within 1/32 of an inch, repatedly, all day long.. If im doing cabinets, i can get it down to 1/128 (using a measuring tape that does 1/16), but may take 2 or 3 cuts.. So yes, its possible.. But it took me maybe a year to get as good as i am
>>
>>1175438
>i'm not saying i don't believe this is a thing (i don't)

I have Dyscalculia. I was luckily diagnosed at a young age. I always enjoyed math. Algebra is extremely easy to me. My issue is transferring numbers. If you give me your phone number to write down, I'll probably mess the order up.
>>
>>1176543
>Welding (not fitting) doesn't require much math
Seconding this. I've occasionally used basic trig for fitups, and sometimes prints are like a puzzle if the reference dimensions aren't set up well. And sometimes part dimensions don't match the print, which takes adjustment elsewhere. But actual welding doesn't use much math.
>>
>>1175397
People have mental disabilities you stupid cunt. I hope your kids die. Fuck you.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.