[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's dangerous to go alone.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 2017-05-05-075957.jpg (59KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-05-075957.jpg
59KB, 640x480px
I got this lighter off of ebay the other day.
It's a replica of Leon's lighter from Resident Evil 2. Limited edition, #414 of 1000, but I love it so much that I want to use it for EDC instead of leaving it on a shelf. Plus it's an actual Zippo so it works very reliably. I'm worried about the logo, though. It's stamped/embossed/whatever instead of just being painted on, so it's less likely to rub off, but I'd rather protect it if I can.

Which is less likely to damage the paint?
-scotch tape / packing tape
-clear fingernail polish

I know the tape will wear out and have to be reapplied, and won't look as good as a clear coat of fingernail polish or other paint, but I'm afraid to find out the hard way that the paint/polish will smear the paint.
>>
you're a morbidly obese smoker. maybe you should re-think a few things
>>
>which is less likely to damage the paint
make up your mind, is it a collectible to you or not? if you take something put of the box that rests on the shelf that you have for collectible things you're willing to drop it down a drain or have it bent or mangled
it's fucking life you WILL put wear and tear on it you're not different from anybody else
>>
>>1174996
>morbidly obese
fucksake anon, OP here just came to ask his question, get some advice and get on with his life. Coloring don't so look hot either tho but, now you mention it.
>>
>>1174998
>collectible
I do not intend to sell it, so I don't care if what I do affects its value as a collectible.
I just want it to last me as long as possible because I really like it.
>>1174996
>morbidly obese
Nah, the picture is deceptive because you can't see my wrist. I can see why you'd think that from the pic, though.
>>
>>1174991
Switch to vaping op you'll live longer and won't smell so annoying

Youll be an annoying faggot hipster but youre already a big fatass pig who buys collectable things from video games vaping already fits you. Lose weight lardo
>>
Personally I'd wouldn't worry about it, with the copper or bronze finish it has it will actually look nicer as it ages and gets some petina.

My 12 year old copper Zippo looks nicer now worn and aged than it did the day it bought it.
>>
File: 67b.jpg (71KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
67b.jpg
71KB, 600x450px
>smoking
>>
Wow, /diy/ has really fallen since the last time I asked for help here.
I guess these days "Do It Yourself" means "We're not going to be helpful at all."
>>
>>1175002
>I do not intend to sell it, so I don't care if what I do affects its value as a collectible.
So you're taking it off the market for genuine collectors who will preserve this rare item for what reason exactly?

Go be selfish elsewhere faggot.
>>
>>1175175
He bought it fair and square, and it's a fucking video game lighter not The piece of history. He can dispose of it however he wishes.
Go be a shit troll on another board dumbass.

OP, I'd just use it as is and detail it if I see a scratch appearing. I've had an embossed zippo for around 10 years and you can still read the engraving just fine.
>>
Use clear epoxy. The solvents in fingernail polish might damage the image. The epoxy has no vocs that can.
>>
>>1175175
Its video game memorbilia. You should calm down.
>>
Use a rattle can clear topcoat or epoxy op. Maybe one that has some heat resistance to it.
>>
>>1175273
I went with clear-coat Krylon, and taped it off just below the lid and around the edges so it's only the front face (where the logo is) that's painted over.
I tested it on a cheap chinese imitation zippo first to make sure it didn't make the paint run. Looks good so far. I didn't think about heat resistance, but I don't normally keep a lighter lit for more than five seconds so hopefully that won't be an issue. Thank you for the tip anyway.

And fuck everybody else for being colossal douchenozzles.
Except >>1175210, >>1175178, and >>1175040, you're cool.

>>1175175
>for what reason exactly?
Because I wanted one.
It was for sale (auction, actually) and I bought it. Unless you were one of the other two people bidding two weeks ago, I don't see any reason you should be angry about this. I do intend to preserve it, which is exactly why I wanted to put a protective coating on the emblem. FYI it had been opened and used already before I got it so it wasn't mint anyway.
>>
>>1175372
>heat resistance
if the whole lighter is getting hot enough to damage the paint then you have bigger things to worry about than the finish

if it does wear off or get damaged then i would just strip the rest off with some thinner and repaint it with some colored epoxy after a thorough surface cleaning

just brush it all over then wipe it back off right away, itll stay in the embossed area

nothing will take the epoxy off short of blasting it with an oxy torch
>>
>>1174991
Zippos last forever OP, mine is from 92 and the scratches, dings, and wear is all part of it. I don't smoke anymore so all it really gets used for is camp fires, and flame polishing my boots but I wouldn't get rid of it.

putting anything on it will kinda cheapen it, tape could pull off the paint faster and uglier than letting it wear naturally. teh same could happen with a lacquer coat (nail polish) as lacquer chips.
>>
>>1175175
We got a madboy here!
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.