[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I want to start small into /diy/ stuff, is getting a dremel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

If I want to start small into /diy/ stuff, is getting a dremel a good idea?
Or is it a meme tool?

Pic unrelated
>>
>>1174713
no

buy what you need when you need it, not but what you want when you want it
>>
>>1174713
Do you have a project in mind that you need a dremel for?
>yes
Get a dremel cause they're fantastic at dremel-y type jobs
>no
Don't waste your money on something you don't need.
>>
>>1174713
You'll always find a use for a Dremel, it's a must have that comes in very handy when you do need it
>>
>>1174732
I've been diy for over 20 years, and I've literally never used a Dremel for anything, or ever thought having one would have been useful. Not dogging them, or saying they can't be useful, but telling someone that doesn't have one that it's a must have, is a little much.
>>
>>1174713
Dremels are the fucking best, it totally kicked off my DIY'ness as a lil tot
>>
>>1174738
>i don't own and have never used this product
>therefore you should listen to me about why it's shit and you shouldn't buy it

Sound logic, instead of listening to the huge amount of diyers who sing praises of it. Enough people to which it's become synonmous with diy, so much that op is coming here asking about it.

It is always the best tool for the job?
No, but weekend warriors don't have a shop full of every single tool you could ever need.
For it's price and versatility, there is no reason not to own one.
>>
>>1174713
Most useful are the fiber reinforced cutting disks, but an angle grinder is MUCH more useful than a Dremel. I have angle grinders, die grinders, bench grinders etc.

An angle grinder can replace a bench grinder. You can make a mount or clamp the gearbox in a vise if needed.

Get an angle grinder first, and don't forget a face SHIELD (goggles a shit and don't protect your face). I wear a shield when Dremeling since those little fuckers can still throw shit.

Angle grinder with flap disc is great for sharpening mower blades, shovels, picks etc. With a (knotted, avoid stranded) cup wire wheel they are great for rust remova.

I recommend a six inch angle grinder for anyone with no other grinders because they take 6" cutting discs yet can run smaller brushes, flap discs and wire wheels. You will love having one handy. You can slice through a truck axle with a 6" cutting disc if you take your time so anything smaller is cake.
>>
>>1174732
>>1174738
I had one, a real one even, not some clone. I never used it but once and when I did it broke almost immediately. Thankfully Bauhaus has a ridiculous 5 year warranty on all electric tools so I got some money back. I seldom feel the need for one but maybe it's good for something very small. But I build big, for fucks sake!
>>
>>1174765
>maybe it's good for something very small

The last time I used mine was to cut the heads off of some fucked bolts holding on a starter for an old f150
Its the only thing that would fit up there
>>
>>1174713
I personally think the Black and Decker RDX is better than your standard Dremel
The harbor freight one is complete trash so dont buy that one
>>
>>1174745
You need to work on your reading comprehension, shitposter.
>>
>>1174715
Unless it's at a pawn shop and in great condition. THEN ALWAYS BUY WHAT YOU WANT.
>>
>>1174775
My reading comprehension is fine. You need a little bit of critical thinking and reading between the lines.

A guy who is just getting into diy like OP, asking about a cheap and very versatile tool to start out.
Not just a as seen on tv "versatile" tool, but an actual versatile tools that you can abuse and misuse to get small shit done with. Beginner type projects.

You tell him its a "must have" in his context, and some guy who touts having 2 decades of buying tools and working on stuff thinks his his situation is going to be more relevant?

Telling OP to spend thousands of dollars on correct or better tools isnt real helpful.
>>
>>1174713
Dremel is cool as shit but slow
>>
>>1174713
if you have the cash and free time sure go ahead
its always good to have any dremel tool(original or clone) - use it all the time in my workshop even when its a clone shit cuts tool steel like cake same goes for grinding(wood, steel, etc) eats like candy
>>
>>1174713
>is getting a dremel a good idea?

dremels are for etsy/pinterest tier hobby crafts. get a real rotary tool and an air compressor.
>>
>>1174781
I never mentioned anything about anything he should buy, not what he shouldn't buy. Try reading it a few more times until it really sinks in. All I said was, don't tell the mother fucker to run out and buy a Dremel when he doesn't even have any idea what he'll be doing. I never said anything about muh roght tewl fer duh job!!!. Hell, when I first started out I used an angle grinder to cut everything, including wood, so I'm certainly not the asshole that cries about that sort of thing. I also mentioned how the Dremel IS useful, just that it's not a MUST HAVE ITEM FOR EVERY REAL MAN!!! Seriously, work on your reading comprehension, you shitposting faggot.
>>
>>1174713
>meme tool?
You are a meme tool, go pay someone to work for you. You are useless.
>>
>>1174713
No. It's the one tool I never use and I've had it for 5 years.
>>
Most attachments for a Dremel has a "Man Edition" Variant that fits a grinder or drill. Prove me wrong.
>>
If you have a Rotozip their 1/8" collets will take Dremel bits. (I buy accessories off Ebay, piss on paying retail)

Larger diameter and heavier tool but much more power.

I use my Dremels maybe twice a month. My angle grinders gets much more frequent use and I'd be fucked without them.
>>
>>1174745
>there is no reason not to own one.
unless you don't need one.
like someone who is asking if they need one because they don't even know if they need one

>Do i need a weedwacker?
I dont fucking know, do you?
>I don't know.
They're not expensive, you might as well get one
>>
get a chink shit rotary tool at harbor freight instead of a name brand dremel. casual diy stuff wont ever break it.
>>
>>1174738

I'll admit, I almost never use it for anything. But I definitely wouldn't go without it, because, very occasionally, I will have to do something that nothing else is really adequate for. Slightly enlarging a hole that I can't drill out because it's in hardened steel or something comes to mind. Cutting off awkward, welded plastic shells is another one. Basically anything where it would be difficult and tedious to use a hand tool, but too small or cramped to use anything full-sized.

I wouldn't necessarily call a rotary tool a must-have, but, considering how cheap you can get them, I would also say there's little reason you _shouldn't_ get one. Even more so if you're one of the sad saps who DOESN'T have all the proper tools for the job.
>>
I do kitchen and bathroom remodeling.. Ive used a dremel twice in 2 years.. Buy it when you need it.. You would do better buyong a skill saw
>>
>>1174713
I have a clone and it works just fine. Been working with it for the past 3 years, i only have use for the engraving tips and a diamond cutting blade desu but alone for those it's worth it.
>>
>>1174856
In all your years of experience, have you ever found use for paragraphs?
>>
>>1174713
Nah mate, just buy the $8 chinese ripoff marked up by 500% to $40 by your local store for convenience sake instead. I did this when I had a screw on my bike rust shut with a worn-to-fuck Phillips head. Put a cutting wheel on that bitch and cut a slot in it to use a flathead with, absolute miracle tool for that. Also hacked it's cable to run off a car battery so I could remove some rusted bolts from my friend's car and drill new holes in his surprisingly shitty aftermarket bodykit. We eventually wore the brake/stop button to shit somehow, so the collet could be tightened with hardly any force. The first time this happened the bit was still locked in with maximum hand-grip torque, so to remove it I reversed the polarity of the motor and reefed on the workpiece until the keyless chuck loosened and sent the bit flying. The tool was sketchy garbage and could output shit-all torque, and most of the collets (all the ones you ever want to use) were off-centre so the bits wobbled permanently.

But I'd say I got my money's worth.
>>
>>1174780
Or craigslist and very cheap.

Fixing up a tool can be a project and adventure in itself.
>>
>>1177129
>Buy it when you need it.

This.

I'm not saying anything against Dremels, I picked one up to make it quicker to sharpen chainsaw blades, and then gradually found other uses for it like hacking off rusty bolt heads.

But really, there is an entire universe of tools out there, and none of them does anywhere close to everything (except a wallet full of money). So why buy any specific tool before you need it?

I have a medium-level tool collection now, and the tools that get the heaviest use over time are the circular saw (on my 3rd one now, after years and years), driver-drills (battery-op, the current ones are my 3rd and 4th), and maybe the chain saws (on my 4th). But that's due to the specific kind of DIY work I've been doing -- you might not be chopping down trees, you might not be building outbuildings or arbors or fences, your needs will be different.

So buy what you need for the next project, and the next, and the next... eventually you'll have a nice collection.
>>
>>1177212
>output shit-all torque
>hacked to a car battery
You're running a 120v AC tool off 12-14.5v DC, what surprising is that it worked at all.
>>
>>1178557
>implying it didn't run off a 12V unregulated wall-wart in the first place
I was saying it had shit-all torque from the get-go. The car actually made it run better.
>>
>>1178570
Actually considering the wall-wart was almost 18V open circuit, it must have had a tiny filter capacitor.
>>
>>1174724
This, also consider dremel like tools made of proper material and quality.
In Germany we have the Proxxon Micromot which is outstanding, something similar may be available at your location.
Don't get fooled by the possibilities, its just the next best tool for a lot of small stuff, but very versatile and most likely the only one you have.
>>
I have one for cutting project enclosures, the cutting disks work well. it cut a masterlock off my shed in about 5 seconds. if you are the type of guy with a garage full of pneumatic tools, you don't need one. if you dont have a lot of powertools and want a multitasker for around the house, hell yeah. the higher end ones are really solid.
>>
>>1174713

No invest in a die or angle grinder that can actually handle loads.

I've had 2 Dremels melt on me from nothing.
>>
>>1179684
>I've had 2 Dremels melt on me from nothing.

dont people listen to how the tool reacts to the load? or feel how hot it gets? or pay attention to the smell?
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.