[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Repelling foxes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

File: 3fae2d36dbf6d9def6513a55be98b5c2.jpg (331KB, 1800x1211px) Image search: [Google]
3fae2d36dbf6d9def6513a55be98b5c2.jpg
331KB, 1800x1211px
Yes they have the potential to be cute, but we've just "inherited" chickens from our neighbours and I've been up in the early hours of the morning twice this week chasing the little shits out of our garden, mop in hand.

On the plus side they helped me find some holes in our garden fence, which have now been patched. Is there anything else I can do? I've researched fox repellent and other more expensive options, but some of them sound dubiously effective.

Anyone got any experience with this and wisdom to share?
>>
>>1174551
Yup. Big ol mean rooster. Thats what they are for.
>>
>>1174556
Never considered that, makes sense. Thanks anon.
>>
>>1174556
What's the average life expectation of such a rooster?
>>
>>1174551
I use a shotgun. Works pretty damn well.
>>
>>1174551
Put a large tesla coil on top of the chicken coop. The coop acts as a Faraday cage preventing you from getting fried chicken before you want it. Then any fox that walks up gets fried by the arcs. Ez pz
>>
File: MaremmaSheepdog.jpg (95KB, 400x249px) Image search: [Google]
MaremmaSheepdog.jpg
95KB, 400x249px
>>1174551
A very large dog, that likes chickens
I had a Maremma for many years that used to look after our chooks, lambs and calves like a big dopey guardian angel
>>
You could try applying a lead based treatment. Most now have copper in the mix as well.

The secret is to apply it quickly enough
>>
>>1174551
Get a fox taiser
>>
>>1174564
2 fox encounters
>>
>>1174551
Some motion sensor lights in each direction so if the fox get nearby will be scared by the sudden light.
>>
>>1174576
Made me chuckle.

>>1174575
In theory I could, us brits are actually allowed them but it's a hell of a palaver actually getting hold of one and knowing my luck I'd only miss and kill a hen / fence panel.

>>1174622
Tempted, not too expensive and battery operated. Curious about its efficacy though.
>>
>>1174551
Use dead eye and a reapeater to blast multiple with minimal effort.
>>
>>1174619
top keks
>>
go marth on final destination
>>
>>1174551

You will need 5 things

>burlap
>bacon grease
>eggs
>string
>a baseball bat

Melt the bacon grease under hot water so that it is not hot enough to cook the egg, mix it with the egg well and then soak it up with the burlap. Tie this to a post and wait, it's a hell of a lot easier to swallow than to regurgitate so eventually you will find either a fox with its stomach ripped out or a pissed off fox tied to a stump, at which point the bat comes into play. Fore best results use fish hooks and hang it up a hair so the fox must jump up to grab it.

Don't take pictures, don't show the neighbors, don't put it somewhere anyone but you will be able to see it. I don't know how the laws work in England, but here in the states I personally know an old man who got criminal charges for doing exactly this with coyotes.
>>
>>1175086
poor foxxo
forget chickens, domesticate the puppers
>>
>>1175086
Seems a bit cruel and unusual when I could just hurl my special fox hitting stick at it then put its head in a tesco bag and stamp on it. Come on son.
>>
Motion activated speaker with high pitch like a dog whistle?
>>
>>1175586
That and the motion activated lamp seem like the best options.
>>
>>1174551
My grandfather (salty old Texan) used to pee next to his chicken house all the time. He said it kept out all the predators. Not sure if it works, mainly because he drank a lot of beer and hated being indoors.
>>
>>1175678
Funnily enough I did read something about male piss working as a repellant, I am tempted to try it. We've had a couple of fox free nights now but I'm still paranoid.
>>
File: 248b19ae_80948_june_122011_009.jpg (49KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
248b19ae_80948_june_122011_009.jpg
49KB, 640x480px
First post best post.

Chickens have roosters.

Roosters have goddamn death spikes that can impale the fuck out of anything that thinks chickens are easy prey.

Kinda like how cats are bear traps... You see a cute kitty laying out, with a fluffy little tummy you wanna rub..

But if you rub that tummy the cats jaws and twenty claws sink into your skin and make you shout "WHAT DID I DO TO DESERVE THIS I JUST WANTED TO RUB YOUR TUMMY" as you try to shake the cat off your arm.

Yea roosters are hardcore as fuck.

Like, goddamn

https://youtu.be/IIKPA8Z-D0g

But anyways... Catch the fox and tame them so they protect your chickens :3 go on YouTube and watch fox go floof :D
>>
>>1175086

Holy shit dude tricking animals into jumping onto hooks is fucking savage.

Its a last resort
>>
>>1175692
As awesome as roosters are it's not really an option, sadly. Well, I don't think it is. Would it fuck the shit out of our flock? Don't really want chicks.
>>
>>1175695
You've never heard the joke about the farmer's new rooster, that was found dead in the barn lot from fucking everything he could find his first day on the farm?
>>
>>1175703
Nope. Dammit.
>>
>>1175704
Long joke short, yeah, they'll fuck the flock OP. You could try to keep them separated, but it'll work about like it would on 16 year old people.

(The farmer walked over, kicked the rooster and said I told you you'd kill yourself. The rooster opened one eye, barely, pointed straight up with one wing and said, Shhhh! You'll scare off the Buzzards!). I know it's bad. This is /diy/ and I'm a dad.
>>
>>1175692
>Kinda like how cats are bear traps... You see a cute kitty laying out, with a fluffy little tummy you wanna rub..
That's how my cat signals she wants to play fight.
>>
just piss around the coop
>>
>>1174551
Trap one and kill it, spill its blood around the fence and till it into the soil near the pen. The other foxes will know and your plants will grow better wherever your tilled the fox out of fear of your blatant psychosis.
>>
>>1176352
besides piss this will work too, we hang the corpses on the fence when we get them to scare off the others
>>
>>1176354
Does piss really work? It's my next thing to try. We've been fox free since Wednesday though, since I let the last one escape and show me how the hell he got in my garden and patched the hole. Hopefully it lasts, but if it doesn't you better believe I'm drenching our garden in piss.
>>
>>1176367
So, land mammals are (generally) way different than humans, in that their brains are wired for smell whereas we are wired for sight. So anything you can do that makes them think, "There's gotta be easier places to loot than this" works. Like putting up signs/lights for robbers, putting up whack smells will scare off most critters.

You should get a rooster though. Snakes will come soon and that's the best solution for those. Let him sodomize everything on legs, as long as you are harvesting the eggs almost every day you won't have to worry with chicks.
>>
>>1176373
Interesting, thanks.
>>
>>1174575
My neighbors used to pay me to shoot the foxes and yotes in our area to protect their chicken, they had a huge free range farm. I'd also shoot the rabbits because they ate up our gardens. .22lr works fine for each
>>
>>1175703
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coolidge_effect#Origin_of_the_term
>>
>>1174619
Lmao
>>
Use wire fencing of suitable mesh.

A pellet rifle is quiet and a hit will either deter or kill them. Alternate option, leave a pan of ethylene glycol auto antifreeze outside the fence near their usual ingress routes but be sure no pets get to it.
>>
>>1175678
I learned that from farmers and do it myself.
>>
>>1174551
Just mention that you are a NEET and any foxes within hearing distance will quietly step out and never come back.
>>
>>1174551
I don't. I have a fence that has a 2' skirt around the bottom so nothing can dig under.

>>1174559
>>1174556
>>1175692
They still kill big roosters. It is why I have a fence with a skirt now. Turns out foxes are predators for a reason.
>>
>>1177095
When you shoot an animal what do you do with the body
>>
>>1178067
>Shoot
>Shovel
>Shut Up.
>>
>>1174551
Ask /k/
>>
>>1174551
Guns anon.
>>
>>1174551
feed them well
fox fur is expensive
>>
>>1174551
Im in the UK, I use snares or a fox trap. Snares you will be about £25 for 10 with anchors, a decent trap is c£100.

Unless you have a shotgun (which are easy to get if you plan in advance), snares are easier.
>>
>>1174599
>Maremma
Is there a sheepdog that looks more like sheep?
>>
>>1176332
>That's how my cat signals she wants to play fight.

>>1175692
>Kinda like how cats are bear traps... You see a cute kitty laying out, with a fluffy little tummy you wanna rub..
>But if you rub that tummy the cats jaws and twenty claws sink into your skin and make you shout "WHAT DID I DO TO DESERVE THIS I JUST WANTED TO RUB YOUR TUMMY" as you try to shake the cat off your arm.

My cat does both of these.....
>>
>>1175086
Shit nigga that's midevial
>>
>>1178031
Came to post this.
>>1178105
Nyet, too many furries.
>>
>>1178097
That's for endangered animals, not normal pests.

If they're clean (not diseased), you skin them and eat them if you want to.
If they're clean, but you don't want to eat them, then you skin and freeze it. It's the best dog/cat food that money can't buy (at non-meme prices).
If they're dirty (diseased), then you segment them with a shovel and feed them to your worms/mushrooms.

Be sure to check yourself to louse, ticks, and fleas before going back inside.
>>
>>1174551
>>1178703
>Nyet, too many furries.
We semi-regularly have threads about killing nigger cats. (note: not (explicitely) nigger's cats)
At least half of the furries are people just shitposting.

If you live in a populated area, then use a pcp air rifle.
Otherwise use a pistol/pcc, or a varmit/intermediate cartidge. (read: below 30 cal (exception: 30 carbine and pistol cartidges))

Always, ALWAYS, double up on hearing protection. Plugs and muffs.
Don't listen to faggots, just because they aren't purely additive doesn't mean it isn't retarded to not do so.
>>
>>1174551
A gun.
>>
>>1174632
You can get an air rifle without a licence. You could also use it on the inevitable rats and mice.
>>
Find the alpha fox and rape it in front of the pack.
Show the fuckers you mean business.
>>
If you redpill the fox, you can start a revolution.
>>
>>1178846
Ruskies already beat you to it. The problem is that it takes 7 generations of guided breeding.
>>
File: 1494452722128.jpg (33KB, 600x565px) Image search: [Google]
1494452722128.jpg
33KB, 600x565px
>>1178844
>>
Fuck my life we've got mice this morning. No foxes for more than a week, this morning our biggest hen is running around practically laughing with a baby mouse hanging out of her mouth. We've got cats that obviously aren't doing their jobs, will keeping the chicken run obsessively clean help keep mice / rats away?
>>
>>1174619
My sides
>>
>>1179039
Shoot the cat.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.