[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you guys think?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (227KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
227KB, 720x720px
It's an 8 string, baritone electric guitar - With a five-piece laminate thru neck, which is made of ebony and zebrano, the body is made of maple, with walnut for the top and back body caps.

It has two Seymour Duncan humbuckers, and sperzel locking tuners. The bridge was made by Kahler.
>>
>>1174173
How awkward is it to play with such a fat neck? What do you even play with such a fat neck?
>>
>>1174184
I've only ever played a six or seven string before this, but I've been playing for a good long while at this point so I'm sure I'll make it work.

There's lots of music out there made with extended range guitars.
>>
>>1174184
I made a rather smooth, flattened radius on the back of the neck too, so it's not as bad as you'd think.

It does feel a little weird I guess, but I'm looking forward to breaking it in a bit.
>>
>>1174184
Djent
>>
>>1174250
but does it?
>>
>>1174187
>There's lots of music out there made with extended range guitars.
Apart from djent, what else?
>>
Should have made it multi scale that low string probably has shit tension
>>
>>1174173
Some hipster would probably trade his trust fund for something like this
>>
>>1174173
Double truss rod or single?
>>
>>1174173
Looks very nice, loving the aesthetics. Personally I don't like 8 string guitars since I think the low F# sounds like shit and should be played on bass, but man do I love that toan wud. I feel like your bridge pickup is a bit high; any reason for that? Also could we get a closeup on the neck?
>>
>>1174533
A single truss rod, with the addition of two carbon fibre rods imbedded in the neck too.
>>
File: 1486411156960-mu.jpg (14KB, 359x394px) Image search: [Google]
1486411156960-mu.jpg
14KB, 359x394px
>>1174173
>meme machine
>>
>>1174554
I only finished wiring everything up yesterday, I still have to set up the action, I'll look at the height of the pick-ups once I've done that, will pay closer attention to the neck one now too.
>>
While I like djent music, I don't really intend to play just that kind of stuff on it.

It's more about the extended range for deeper chords and root note harmonies that I'd be interest in, I fitted passive pick-ups, and a bridge with a tremolo, for this reason. I wanted to have very good sustain, hence the thru neck, Which I think will lend itself to this kind of playing too.
>>
I am a lineman for the county
And I drive the main roads
Searching in the sun for another overload
I hear you singing in the wires
I can feel you through the whine
And the Wichita Lineman
Is still on the Lili la li la li li la li li lili la li la li li la li liiine.
>>
>>1174173
I think maybe /mu/ finally got sick of djent shitposters and kicked you out

a guitar should have no more or less strings than 6, and a Bass should have no more or less strings than 4.

end of story

the only acceptable instrument to have 8 strings is a mandolin
>>
File: 1477767557392.png (143KB, 332x394px) Image search: [Google]
1477767557392.png
143KB, 332x394px
>>1175660
Shut the fuck up. You obv never played in a band. A 5 string bass allows you to transpose songs for your singer while still staying in the lower register, you ignorant fuck. Now take your purism, shove it up your ass and go play your hillybilly blink182 old blues bullshit alone in your basement.
Tosin Abasi sends his regards.

>>1174173
Its really fuckin nice mate
>>
>>1175660
>a guitar should have no more or less strings than 6
What about the 12 string guitar? I know it has 12 strings, but they're split into pairs that play a single note.
>>
there's no real reason to have an 8-string guitar, especially a baritone one. there's no reason to have a 5-string bass. you should learn how to play in a different tuning and set up your instrument with different strings. the extra strings are genuinely pointless no matter how you look at it. it's a leftover from kids being into nu-metal 17 years ago. nobody thinks this is cool except korn fans.
>>
>>1175660
That's just like your opinion man.
James Burton, Keith Richards, Roger McGuin, Phil Lesh, and Leo Kottke would disagree.
>>
File: micawber2.jpg (82KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
micawber2.jpg
82KB, 800x600px
>>1175915
>>1175959
12 string is still pretty much a 6 string with a billion trade offs for a little bigger / fuller sound that can be easily achieved with a pedal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK9lpdbpN4

also taking a string off doesn't really make a guitar a 5 string, it's a guitar with a missing string.
>>
Extra range is extra range, at least that's how I see it.

Nobody would accuse a pianist playing a grand piano of being an edgelord, just because the instrument has extra range, it doesn't mean anything.

I already have enough guitars with six strings, hence I saw no reason to have built this one with some extra range added on.

I have three basses, one of them a six string - and that totally works there, so why not here.

It's just the addition of two strings tuned a fifth below, not a big deal.
>>
>>1174434
I adjusted the bridge position slightly, to account for intonating the two lower stings correctly. The saddle position and compensation on the two lower strings is about 6-8mm further back than that of the highest strings - the bridges mechanisms adjust enough to accommodate this distance.
>>
>>1176070

That'd almost be a perfect Tele if it had a compensated 3 saddle bridge
>>
>>1175733
Get a singer that isn't shit

>>1174642
Fuck off roman
>>
>>1175660
>the only acceptable instrument to have 8 strings is a mandolin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CnhcGpmH9Y
>>
>>1174250
>post number ends with a 0
>djent
nice
>>
Ash? You still slingin'? Still got the Bee ;)
>>
>>1174300
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf56jYDv2fc
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.