[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Electrical help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

Hey /diy/ I have a question for u electrically savy people

So at my dad's property he bought there's a lamp post cemented in the rock with about 2 feet of household wire coming out that bottom.

I buried about 50 feet of steel encased outdoor wire to the base of the lamp post.
Basically the lamppost wire got cut when he wad putting a gas line in.

Now what's the best way to make the connection? Do I need to buy an outdoor box and do a proper connection in the box or could I use end connectors and shrinkwrap to make a water tight connection? Or is there an easier way all together?

The wire is like pic related
>>
Proper IP rated box with isolator switch and fuse.
>>
>>1174156
>best way
rebury a conduit and use the conduit and make it run into the post and to the lamp with one wire

>outdoor wire to lamp
if the splice is underground, rerun the wire

if the splice is 2 feet above ground, use any splice and make it waterproof and use a box

>easy way
twist new wires on it and call it a day
>>
>>1174156
If there's only 2 feet of wire hanging from the lamp... why not take it apart, remove the wire and wire the new wire to the lamp directly? It'll probably be cheaper than making a new proper connection and much less of a hassle than getting /diy/ to agree on which connection is better.
>>
>>1174160
We had extra outdoor cable so i burried it and it's not long enough to go up the post from where the connections were made so a simple connection would be far easier.
>>
>>1174182
Shitty twist connectors and shrink wrap will be fine.
Hell, a lineman splice and shrink wrap will suffice if its just for a lamp (lineman is more structurally sound when done correctly anyways).
>>
>>1174392
Okay thanks

There's also an outlet on the post think it will be fine?
>>
>>1174407

Ask the telco guy for a couple of underground splice kits.
The part you want is a toothpaste tube size and shape plastic tube with epoxy inside.
Make your splices
Activate epoxy
Stick splices in epoxy filled tube
>>
>>1174512
Okay thanks I'll try and buy this product
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.