[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I make a metal robot non-conductive?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 94a0eb1341cd82003b558fefa12536f3.jpg (247KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
94a0eb1341cd82003b558fefa12536f3.jpg
247KB, 1280x800px
Want to make an arm that welds, don't want to die when I touch it. Tips?
>>
>>1174008
do you know how a welder works?
>>
ground it
>>
Wrap the arm in condoms.
>>
>>1174017
no
>>
>>1174008
>he wants to touch something that he thinks can kill him while it is active and running

Step 1 to working on anything electric is to turn the electric off. If it is a robot, you shouldn't need to touch it while it is powered.
>>
>>1174008
You wont die from welder shocks unless you are in a bad position when it grabs u. I been shocked a billion times. It sucks dick but i have also welded in neck deep watter and was fine.
>>
Also post build if success
>>
>>1174025
You should learn how to weld before you design a robot to weld things, or at the very least have a firm grasp of welding theory.

Also, as others have said, add grounding straps to any metal casings that the user may come into contact with.
>>
>>1174040
If you're building it there are tons of reason to touch a robot while it's powered. At least if you're just some dudes making stuff as part of a hobby.
>>
>>1174123
Give me one good reason you would want to touch a robotic arm while it was powered up.

The casing should be grounded for safety in case you touch it accidentally, but there's no good reason you should be touching a robot arm while it's powered up and holding a welder.
>>
>>1174008
ok, so yeah a few things, you should have insulated fittings attaching the welding tip to the rest of the arm, and the wires inside the arm should be insulated, no?
you can coat the metal parts with a layer of spray rubber, tool dip or pickup bed liner spray. you won't be able to do the hinges, but that should give you insulated grab points. If you are worried, then make it have insulated covers for the hinges.
Alternatively, use molded plastic covers for all the metal parts, with recessed screws.

add a fuse breaker switch and ground the casing, so that when/if it shorts to the casing the fuse will shut it off before it melts parts.

build a welder bot that uses acetylene?
>>
>>1174295
1. Absent a fault condition there is no conduction to the case. Obviously. Welding guns are designed to be held by a person and not electrocute them.

2. If the casing is grounded then you won't be shocked even if there is current leaking to the case.

3. There is no good reason anyone should be touching the case while the machine is powered.

4. If you are touching things near an active welder then you should be wearing welding gloves.

5. Rubberised spray coatings don't have a consistent thickness and are not safe for use as electrical insulation.
>>
>>1174129
So you can position the fleshlight.
>>
>>1174301
>2. If the casing is grounded then you won't be shocked even if there is current leaking to the case.
welding is pretty much a low voltage high current dead short anyway, so you might not get a shock during fault condition but you sure as shit might get burned! or some molten shrapnel in your eye i guess.
just make sure you have an earth leakage detector i guess.
>>
>>1174115
this, start with something like this, than move on to more nuanced welding theory books

https://archive.org/details/1942TM1-430
>>
liquid rubber, teflon coating

some sort of non conductive, thermal resistant spray.

wrap the whole thing in a few hundred metres of electrical tape
>>
if the work piece is grounded and your welder was made this decade, you shouldn't have anything to worry about unless you have a foot in a bucket of water, the ground clamp on your left nipple, and you lick the robot
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.