[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

minimalist bike trailer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: F86LY0HFA190FPN.MEDIUM.jpg (75KB, 620x494px) Image search: [Google]
F86LY0HFA190FPN.MEDIUM.jpg
75KB, 620x494px
I'd like to make a very simple bike trailer for hauling small loads that are too big to fit well on a rack.

The thought is something like the pic, but ideally I want it to be compact enough to fit into a milk crate, which would be fine to attach to the rack.

Obviously that means using small wheels, with limited weight and limited space, but it would at least be an improvement.

Should have some small tires, scrap thin angle iron, and various wood....but not really sure of a good way to secure the wheels together. I might use like some 2x2s for the main triangle frame, securing them together with bolts for easy breakdown.

Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome.
>>
File: bike trailer.png (39KB, 319x186px)
bike trailer.png
39KB, 319x186px
>>1173660
It only needs 1 wheel. The shaft can telescope using 2 pipes of different diameters and a thick pin to lock it in place. Use angle iron to make a cross. Remaining upright is your job, when on the go. You can use a wide "Center Stand" style kickstand for the trailer when you want to park the bicycle.
>>
>>1173672
Hmm, seems there are tons of these styles, OP.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bicycle+trailer+1+wheel&tbm=isch
>>
File: FIWS6RYFQ6E5YNY.RECT2100.jpg (174KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
FIWS6RYFQ6E5YNY.RECT2100.jpg
174KB, 640x480px
>>1173672
>>1173675
I've heard people talk about them having a tendency to tip over, hence why I was leaning towards (no pun intended) a two wheeled version.

The person who made this one, who did a terrific job and wrote a nice instructable for it, said he later went with two wheels instead because it was too unstable.
>>
>>1173660
Why don't you get a three wheel?
>>
>>1173679
>tendency to tip over

Of course they tip over. Bicycles do that. You see the kickstand in the image you posted? That's the shittiest kickstand style in the world and is responsible for most of the bicycle tip overs in history. That is why a wide center stand would be better if you have a trailer. Most people use the factory standard kickstand that came with their bicycle. It is the first thing you should remove and replace when you get a new bike.

Now, if they are saying they tip over while riding them, then they are not mounted correctly to the bicycle or their center pole (Like they use u-bolts instead of welding). They should only tip over when the entire bicycle tips over.
>>
>>1173696
a 3 wheel bike?
you're selling one extremely cheap?

>>1173697
yes, while riding

>welding
Ideally it would be closer to designs being sold, but not everyone building one of these knows how to weld or has a welder

If I saw a kids riding bike thingy that clamps on to the adults' bike at a garage sale, that could be a possibility
>>
>>1173660
I built one of these for hauling around fishing gear. I scrapped it for parts tho.. lol

two wheels are better then 1 for sure, for the long shaft, I used a pool net's handle, the kind that you twist a knob to adjust the length..

I just used bicycle wheels off a shitty BMX bike I got from the trash. The only thing I had to do with reinforce the hub a little, as the hubs need support on both sides, but to run the axle through only 1 side, just cut a piece of plywood in a circle. then drill a hole in the middle the size of the hub on the bicycle. then slice the plywood donut into 4's or 5 pieces evenly. cut another plywood circle of the same size, but only drill the hole in the middle the axle thickness. put the cut circle in between the bicycle spokes, then the none cut circle on the outside of the spokes, and screw them together. there you've reinforced the hub, and allows you to run one solid axle. I held 200lbs on my little cart wheeling around bricks.
>>
That's a cool idea. If I lived in a city or suburb I'd make one. With a little bit of welding and some cheat HFT wheels you'd have a badass trailer for groceries or whatever.
>>
>>1173660
I would add that instead of using bolts to hold it together, I would HIGHLY recommend welding it. It would be too rickety just secured with bolts I think.
>>
Get a kids trailer
>>
>>1173891
I will try to picture that tomorrow when I have slept, but 200lbs would be crazy strong

>>1173898
I think those wheels are the only kind I could get that would be small enough to be portable

>>1173899
ideally, yes

I have zero experience but really want one of the HF $90 models that can run off 120v

>>1173907
That is absolutely on the table if I see one out for the trash or at a yard sale
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.