[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Plants as passive income

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: 2014-03-19 15.11.52.jpg (519KB, 1600x902px) Image search: [Google]
2014-03-19 15.11.52.jpg
519KB, 1600x902px
Yesterday I dug some Thujas [1] out of the garden of my parents. I later learned, that one of these plants can be worth around $2000. I have absolutely zero interest in gardening, but I could imagine putting some pots on my balcony that faces south side, buy small plants for cheap, wait for 5 years and then sell them over the Internet.

What do you think? Is this a worthwhile investment and source of passive/semi-passive income?

Which plant would bring the most money per time, while being low maintenance. Excluding illegal stuff like pot or poppies, obviously.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuja
>>
You just described what a nursery is, I can guarantee it is more work than you expected if you're hoping to make money
>>
File: 1438064207750.png (34KB, 206x200px) Image search: [Google]
1438064207750.png
34KB, 206x200px
>>1173457
dont listen to this wagie, also dont forget to invest in some kneepads for all that gardening
>>
>>1173464
I've done some research, and apparently Ginseng is one of the most lucrative plants per ft2 to plant. I'm probably going to give that a try.
>>
>>1173454
>worth around $2000
>Thujias
wut? where?
Them fuckers grow like cancer, they basically big weeds. Anyone paying $2k, for a Thuija needs their head examined, also, know a few properties would treble in value overnight, would need a tripwire and a fleet of rottweilers, or a TrumpWall to guard the hedge 24/7 tho.
>>
>>1173610
Op is referring to well maintained well trimmed 5hr/day maintenance ones
>>
>>1173610
>>1173611
OP is high.
I can buy a 6 footer for under $20.
>>1173583
Yes but it takes YEARS for it to grow large enough to harvest.
>>
>>1173739
> OP is high.
I have no idea about gardening. Some friend of my mom said that. I think she was referring to ALL of my moms thujias, which is a more realistic estimate given current market prices in my area for thujias that size.

> Yes but it takes YEARS for it to grow large enough to harvest.
That's what I don't care about, actually. If all I have to do is water them once a week or whatever, then I don't care if they take up space on my balcony I don't even use anyway. The question is just, what's the ROI for the initial investment. I'm going to need some boxes, soil, something to block the sun and a watering can.
>>
File: 1484400230341.jpg (60KB, 324x354px) Image search: [Google]
1484400230341.jpg
60KB, 324x354px
>>1174007
>takes years
>IDC I wanna grow them on the balcony of the apartment I'm renting
>>
>>1173464
>kneepads

Use raised beds with wide walls to sit on.
>>
>>1173457
This. Try black walnut trees?
>>
>>1173583
Might be ilegal in your area just fyi. I tried growing that shit in kansas and shut it down when i oearned its seasonal
>>
File: 1494222425448-1.gif (3MB, 222x400px) Image search: [Google]
1494222425448-1.gif
3MB, 222x400px
>>1173583
You're on a dark path, anon. Why not skip all the bullshit and jump right into growing cannabis?
>>
How did the mass market and big-box stores affect plant value, if any? Wasn't it a number of years ago that orchids were fairly expensive? Now you can go to home depot and find racks of them for 5.00 on sale and more expensive ones for 12.00. You'd think anything with high value, some big store would contract with a nursery to produce and distribute at a lower price point, unless it's too difficult to grow on a large scale.
>>
try planting a couple dozen acres of corn of soybeans
lots of people near me (Illinois) do this and make big bucks every year
some of them don't even have other jobs
>>
>>1174155
Try goji berries. Weed lost a ton of its value with legalization
>>
>>1174304
They absolutely fucked a lot of nurseries, just like everything else they sell. Of course, the stuff they sell in the nursery department is also like everything else they sell: shit quality that may or may not survive. A real nursery will have better stock, for 1.5x the price or more, but they'll stand behind their stuff. You pay your money and take your chances.

Source: grew up on a wholesale nursery 70's-90's.
>>
Mushrooms, not the magic kind either, morrels can go for big money/pound. And if you can't sell them you can always eat them.
>>
>>1175355
These are great. Delicious too if you fry them in a skillet with some butter.

Don't go looking for these in the wild though, people regularly fall victim to 'accidents' while hunting for morels. It's very competitive.
>>
>>1175355
They're usually about $50/lb, but god damn are they hard to find, and reasonably difficult to grow. A starter kit to produce 1 pound was expensive last I saw, and there was no guarantee it would "fruit" multiple times.
>>
>>1175355

These things are all over the place at loch raven reservoir if any of you fags live near baltimore
>>
oh boy, I didn't know you could grow gold
>>
>>1175355
I heard some people grow mushrooms using used coffee grounds.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.