[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Take Care Of Your Shit General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: stabil.jpg (5KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
stabil.jpg
5KB, 250x250px
I just got a new lawn mower and picked up some of this shit. What are your suggestions on keeping your gear tip top?
>>
>>1173384
Just change the oil after x so many hours. And with lawn mowers. Keep an eye on the air filter. And if you're mechanically inclined, change the jets in the carbs up a point. They are always lean as fuck because muh epa.

Rinse the deck and shit off after a day of use and fuck get a storage shed for it. Even a shit lawnmower will last ya like over 20 years if all this is done.
>>
Always use gas without ethanol.
>>
>>1173432
This is only true with shitty rubber gaskets. If its a new mower. Id hope they would use the newer shit. And I swear if you say "muh but it destroys brass too" I will kick a baby.
>>
lawnmower cut out, and we were puzzled as fuck, spent hours sicking around on it.. turns out the petrol tank had corroded, engine sucking up that rust.

Dunno if petrol containmenated or rusted up from sitting up over winter, either way store it with empty tank now.
>>
>>1173487
damn brit anon, they put ethanol in your petrol too?
>>
File: WomanFuelTank.jpg (45KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
WomanFuelTank.jpg
45KB, 600x450px
>>1173442
some older aluminum in carbs don't like it, im finding a lot of corrosion in carbs in older bikes because of this, glad we dont see anything higher than 15% here

op:

-fuel filters are your friend
-change the oil regularly
-if a two stroke, use good synthetic
-keep spare spark plugs
-drain the carb and try to start the engine until it wont fire
-stabil in the gas, use 94 when putting it away, cheap insurance, or store it empty with a bit of heavy premix to prevent the tank from rusting if it's metal
-fog the engine before putting it away

not much to do, follow those steps and you should have a running whatever the fuck each time, every time. it only takes an hour, maybe 2
>>
>>1173442
Ethanol is less efficient than gas though and muh but it destroys brass too.

Get out of here you dirty corn farmer!
>>
>keeping your equipment in top shape for the neighbors to use

heh
>>
sharp tools work better and are safer.
>>
>>1173779
ethanol has more BTU's then plain gas. GTFO uneducated shitposter.
>>
>>1173487
No dummy the rust comes from condensation in an empty tank. Store it full of petrol to inhibit rusting. Water contamination will of course do this but it's most likely condensation.

If it sits around a lot get some of that water / fuel treatment (it's basically just adding a drop of methanol to absorb the water and mix it with fuel rather than have it in layers)
>>
Sharpen shovels, hoes, mattocks, and other digging tools. They don't need a razor edge, but even a slight bevel makes a big difference against tough roots.
>>
>>1173876
thats true but more fuel is required for the same amount of air when you substitute octane for ethanol. ie you will create a lean condition if you do not adjust the carb for the extra fuel demand.
>>
>>1173876

1.5 gallons of ethanol has the same energy content as 1.0 gallon of gasoline.

The energy content of 1.0 US gallon of ethanol is 76,100 BTU, compared to 114,100 BTU for gasoline.
>>
>>1174375
I buy 91 octane and add gas stabiliser to it for my push mower and put 5w30 synthetic in it. First pull everytime. Empty it before storage.
>>
>>1174726
Cool story bro.

Seriously tho you're better off storing it full than empty or you'll get a rusty tank.

Honestly tho not sure why you spend so much on what's basically an oversized, sharpened egg beater, but I'm a petroleum geologist so the more you spend on petrochems, the better my life gets. Keep it up Yankee
>>
>>1174726
If the tank is steel it should be stored full. Plastic tanks should be stored empty
>>
If you can find ethanol free gas at the pump it's worth the extra few cents. If you can't don't bother getting the buy by the gallon ethanol free shit at the hardware store.

Either way when you use pump gas use marine stabilizer. It's made for engines that are always in/near water. Part of the problem with ethanol is that it tends to attract water. When it sits in the carb during storage it tends to gum up and plug smaller jets in some carbs.

I also like to add some carb cleaner to the gas as a preventative maintenance too. Remember that stabilizer and carb cleaners go bad too. For the $7 you're gonna waste it's just easier to buy new every year.

And change the oil and keep the blade sharp too
>>
>>1173384
Startron is way better than Staybil. Shit ain't cheap though. Ya hur
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.