[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

wood question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 1x2 furring.jpg (12KB, 500x357px) Image search: [Google]
1x2 furring.jpg
12KB, 500x357px
In general, is it safe to make a desk out of 1x2 furring? I'm making myself a desk but I want it to be solid. For context I built my own bedframe out of 2x4s, it works fine but it seems like overkill.
>>
It's your funeral bro. We all know of those tragic 1x2 desk accidents that happen every year.
>>
You could certainly design a desk to be as sturdy as you need it with 1x2, though it would be kind of stupid to design it around this material.
>>
>>1172986
It might feel a bit 'bouncy' when you put weight on it. Depends on how many you use really.
>>
>>1172986
My bedroom desk is made made out of a single 1/2 in sheet of composite wood, I bet your desk will be 100x sturdier than mine. Just make a reasonably good frame and legs.
I would just buy a sturdy tabletop and some strong metal legs.
>>
>>1172986
isn't that stuff like $1.50 for 6'? just try it, if it breaks oh well
>>
>>1172986
I would do wider boards, they're milled closer to a similar thickness and less boards over the same area means less chance for difference(like dips) and they'll have less flex.
>>
1x2s patently UNSAFE
Known explosive potential
Anon threatening to make a furniture of peace
>>
popsicle stick bridge says yes
>>
>>1172986
I wouldn't do it. But then again I like to put my feet up on my desk.
>>
>>1172986
>is it safe
You can get crazy splinters from 1x2. Not safe by any standard. I'd stick to raw crab meat.
>>
File: il_570xN.1240190739_bo7e.jpg (82KB, 570x535px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.1240190739_bo7e.jpg
82KB, 570x535px
>>1172986
OP, I make bar stools out of palette wood to sell on Etsy.
They're pretty damn sturdy, despite being held together with butt-joints, brads and glue.
Mostly because I use several layers.
The seat is two layers (one internal so it isn't visible)
The box the seat rests on is two layers.

If you use 1x2's, make the parts two layers thick, with the "long way" rotated 90 degrees to each other where possible.
You'll be surprised how study it comes out to be.
>>
>>1172986
Something like >>1173182
1x2s can work fine in principle, but you'd need to design carefully to get the strength needed. In particular, the legs will need bracing near the ends to keep them from wobbling, and the top will need additional support to keep it from bending under load. Triangulation or multiple layers should do it, but you have to have at least some idea about how structural mechanics works. Since you're asking this in the first place, it would probably be a good idea to read something introductory on the topic.

And as some other anon said, furring strips aren't very good for nice furniture. Dimensional tolerances are somewhat loose, and finding straight smooth boards can be hard.
>>
File: image resized.jpg (192KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
image resized.jpg
192KB, 600x400px
OP here, I went for 2x4s instead. Here's the desk I made, 48x96x32" overall for about $50 in materials. Image is only 800x400 because of the filesize limit.

I've spent the latter half of the day driving around to various stores (Staples, Office Depot, Target, Walmart, etc) attempting to find a wall mounted pencil cup. I know I could just get it online, but I find it gross having to pay $3 shipping for a 95 cent item.
>>
1x2 net? Cuz a 1x2 would be .75×1.5 id it is not net.. It should be fine... Its more about how well its placed, just make the load bearing go straight to the ground.. And put cross bracings in.. It is fine for a desk, probably should fuck on it tho
>>
>>1173827
>Here's the desk I made

looks fine
>>
>>1173827
...? just get a dollar store cup, a piece of wood, and a screw. Drill hole in cup, enlarge hole on one side, drill hole in spacer wood and wall, run screw through cup and spacer into wall. Done. if you have a right angle screwdriver you don't need the second hole in the cup to screw the screw with.
>>
>>1172986
I built my desk out of the leftovers from my neighbors house, never such thing as overkill, better to have it be a little wasteful and never collapse than for it to save 20 bucks and only last you 4 years man
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.