[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So i have this mini strobe led, it haves a potentiometer that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: strobe.jpg (167KB, 901x1600px) Image search: [Google]
strobe.jpg
167KB, 901x1600px
So i have this mini strobe led, it haves a potentiometer that determines how frequent is the flashing, what i want to do is to stop the flashing and make the led only go off and on.

any idea on how to do that?
>>
>>1172943
Does the IC say something like LM555 on it?

I'm thinking it's just a 555 timer sending a signal to switch those shitty little transistors off and on. Also mains power going into that fucking thing, are you kidding me?

You can find out where the output of the 'power supply' part is, bypass the timer circuit by cutting traces going to it and then hard wiring the output of the power supply to a switch and into the LED array.
>>
>>1172944
where should it say LM555?

whats the problem with the main power going there?
>>
>>1172943
You'll probably have to redesign the circuit a little. Chances are good that each one of the flashes delivers much more current than the leds can handle, but they survive because of the low duty cycle. Pretty common technique to get higher brightness actually.

If you want them to run continually, you will have to adjust the current down to a reasonable level, which means the leds won't be as bright, but they can stay on continuously.
>>
>>1172948
>whats the problem with the main power going there?

It means the entire circuit is at mains potential. As you had to ask this question I urge you to stop what you are doing and build a flasher out of literally $3 worth of parts. I'm also a little shocked (lol puns) that the whole thing is mains level.
>>
>>1172985
I know how to use arduino, what should i buy with the 3 dollars?
>>
>>1172985
>that the whole thing is mains level
looks like its got a capacitive dropper just after the filter
>>
>>1172944
I see a transformer, a full bridge rectifier, and a big ol cap.
>>
>>1173072
The transformer doesn't look like it has the windings to be able to drop the voltage and based on those big fucking resistors I think they are feeding mains voltage straight to the LED's.
>>
>>1173077
Either way, it looks filtered and rectified so mains isn't going to the LEDs.
>>
>>1172943
>It haves
>>
>>1173173
whats your question

would you like someone to do it for you?
>>
*** YOU HAVE BEEN VISITED BY LE PELICAN! *** post this in 4 threads or your mother will die in her sleep tonight
░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▀▀▀▄▄███▄
░░░░░▄▀▀░░░░░░░▐░▀██▌
░░░▄▀░░░░▄▄███░▌▀▀░▀█
░░▄█░░▄▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▐░░░░█▌
░▐█▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▌░░░░░▐█▄
░▌▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░▌░░░░▄███████▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐░░░░▐███████████▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐░░░░▐█████████████▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░▐██████████████▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄████████████████▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▀██████▀▀▀▀█▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▀▄▀░▀██▀▀▀▄▄▄▀█
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▀▀▀▀░░░░██▌
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▄▀
>>
File: FCUF93DYIIEP282L2P.MEDIUM.jpg (13KB, 315x236px) Image search: [Google]
FCUF93DYIIEP282L2P.MEDIUM.jpg
13KB, 315x236px
>>1173079
Exactly right. I've seen this cheap ass design before. Basically they rectify the AC, then use a voltage divider (see the big power resistors) to get it down to a usable dc voltage without a transformer.

I'm sure the DC voltage is still pretty high. How high depends on how many leds they wired in series, but I would guess it's on the order of 30-50 volts. This is the absolute cheapest way to get a relatively small current DC voltage in a Chinese circuit.
>>
>>1173178
nah mostly i want to learn, or see what are my options, i have been thinking in just cutting of the components and use an arduino to make what i want, but if there a simpler ways without using an arduino i want to know
>>
>>1173186
They don't even bother matching the LEDs so you'll get uneven current draw across the branches which will lead to pre-mature burnout. The fuckers will just add enough LEDs in series so the supply and draw roughly matches just to save a resistor.
>>
>>1173196
You don't need an arduino to turn on and off a fucking LED.
>>
Post pics of other side of the board and the writing on the chip with 8 pins.
>>
File: picrelated.jpg (166KB, 1600x901px) Image search: [Google]
picrelated.jpg
166KB, 1600x901px
>>1173227
pic related
>>
>>1173227
13s1s18
NE5555P
>>
File: 555.png (6KB, 400x302px) Image search: [Google]
555.png
6KB, 400x302px
>>1173242
Remove the 3rd resistor to the right of the chip in OP pic (next to diode)
This is the resistor between the "flasher" and the "driver".

Figure the amount of time the strobe is on compared to when it's off at it's max speed.
if it's on say 1/4 of the time, get a resistor 4x (or higher for first try, even 10x) the resistance of the one you removed.
It won't be as bright as the flash.
see: >>1172952

Connect the resistor between the top hole where you removed it to the bottom left pin of the chip (both referenced from OP pic)

If anyone else looks at this, the transistors are npn Ic~=500mA hfe~=40 EBC from flat side view
>>
>>1173259
so i just need to remove the resistor connect a new bigger one, and i am done? how i can do that whit an already wielded board?
>>
File: thisone.jpg (10KB, 318x100px) Image search: [Google]
thisone.jpg
10KB, 318x100px
>>1173259
This one?
>>
bumping again
>>
>>1173313
jesus, just send the board to this guy
>>1173259
>>
>>1173330
no problem i already understood
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.