[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me make my yard not look like shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Untitled.jpg (220KB, 1071x1428px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
220KB, 1071x1428px
I was looking for some advice on what I could do with my back yard. It's quite a big open space that I'm not really doing anything with at the moment.

Right now it looks like shit because the previous owner put in shitty soil infested with creeping charlie weed and it ran amok for over a year. I spent many hours last fall raking it out by hand with a thatch rake because I didn't wanna use chemicals. I re-seeded my lawn a few weeks ago but the fucking snake oil grass seed didn't take and now this fucking weed is starting to grow back and I'm at my wits end.

I was wondering if there was a good alternative that I could plant other than grass that looks decent, is low maintenance (never has to be cut preferable), and will overtake off weeds?

One thing I'm maybe considering is moss. There's a patch of it growing in the shade next to the tool shed and looks pretty dope but my guess is it won't grow well in the sunnier sides of the lawn.

Other than my weed problem, does anybody have any suggestions on what I should do with all this space? One thing I know I wanna do is put a little garden in against the garage. Only problem is there is pine tree shrub that is sort of in the way and they make the dirt really acidic. But I've been told that's good for blue berries so I might try to plant blue berries around it and other plants everywhere else.

Open to suggestions.
>>
File: IMG_20170430_1942343.jpg (171KB, 954x716px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170430_1942343.jpg
171KB, 954x716px
Here's a pic where of where I wanna put the garden down. I'm thinking I might do put chicken wire up all the way along the side of the garage and plant things to crawl up it like peas and maybe tomatoes.
>>
File: IMG_20170416_1723272.jpg (314KB, 1071x1428px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170416_1723272.jpg
314KB, 1071x1428px
Here's a view from the 2nd story house. Everything in view here are the sunny sides of the lawn, everything not in the picture is usually in the shade.
>>
Fuck grass and make 2 12x12 raised garden beds and cover the rest with pea gravel. Anything that grows thru it you take a propane torch to once a year while enjoying your fruits and veggies
>>
i recognize that yard. Adding it to my list of recognized /diy/ posters.

That makes at least 5 unique posters
>>
>>1171987
As in you've seen this yard on /diy/ before or as in you've seen my actual yard before?
>>
>>1172005
I'm looking at it right now. Wave to me senpai. See you real soon.
>>
>>1171984
Would I need to dig out a lot of my existing soil for that?

I actually have a huge back gate that could easily fit a pickup truck so I could probably find a friend to help me out with this and just dump piles of it directly where it needs to go with minimum effort.

The only question is what to do with the existing soil.
>>
>>1172029

I said raised bed. You frame a box sitting on top of your lawn and plop dirt in it like a sandbox. Usually at least 12" or more deep. Thus no digging or fucking around.
>>
>>1172036
I meant for the gravel.
>>
>>1172005
I recognize one picture from a thread where you said "I buried a trash can in my back yard for composting"
>>
>>1172059
no, but flatten it out and put down a geotextile before you place the gravel. It will allow water to drain into the soil but stop any weeds being able to grow up from beneath the gravel. In fact i'd put it all over the lawn so they don't grow up into your raised beds.
>>
>>1171975
Whatever you do, do not grow anything up the wall of that garage. The presence of that plant matter will encourage moisture retention inside the lap board and wall by preventing respiration.

Peas and other climbers can go on chainlink fences or cattle fence panels you put up on posts.

As for the raised garden beds...
Make garden beds no wider than 4'. You can have them as long as you want. And space them no closer than 3' between beds. This is so that you dont need to ever step on the soil in them to do anything.

Check around with your municipality to see if they have a yard waste composting program. They probably do if they collect yard waste seperate from household trash. My city sells compost by the you-load-it truck bed for $14. Which ends up being about a yard of compost which will fill up two 4'x12' garden beds about 3.5" deep. Then mix up the compost with the native soil about 3-4 deep.

On top of this put mulch.
Mulch
MULCH
MUUUUULCH.

3-4 inches of it. Whatever it is. Wood chips from a tree service company, hay, straw, shredded leaves. Whatever.

The mulch acts like the skin for the soil. It prevents moisture loss, keeps the soil nice and cool, and foster a microbiome teaming full of life.

After setting up the garden beds, thats it. You will never step on them. You will NEVER til over the soil again. You will tear up your plants as best you can and leaves things alone. And every year you will make sure to top up your mulch as it decomposes.
>>
>>1171978
I've seen this pic before.
>>
>>1171974
draw neater lines
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.