[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what can I do with an old TV?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 11

I picked up this old analog TV from the trash pile near my house. It works fine except for some slight scratches on the screen.

what can I do with it /diy/? How much could I get for selling it online? Could I sell it for parts, which parts are valuable?

This is my first time getting my hands on something besides old furniture, so I'm unclear on what to do next now that I got the thing.
>>
>>1171831
/vr loves these. Are you into retro games?
>>
I have one with a built in VCR collecting dust in my basement, monitoring thread for interest
>>
>>1171831
>How much could I get for selling it online?
Absolutley nothing

> Could I sell it for parts
No

> which parts are valuable?
None of them, in fact its legally hazardous material and you have to pay to recycle it properly.

>>1171834
/vr/ loves a few very specific TVs, not the other 95% of them out in the wild.

Put it back out in the trash pile
>>
>>1171855
>you have to pay to recycle it properly
you mean i shouldn't have smashed the tube, boxed it, and put it out in the trash?
>>
>>1171831
you could harvest it for parts like caps and the flyback
>>
>>1171831
1. The NES duck hunt gun only works on CRTs because of the refresh rate. Similarly with other 'light zappers' from CRT era...
2. It has an electron gun in it.... basically a scanning electron gun... if you are really crazy about it you already have half of a scanning electron microscope. Or.... you can use it to make a seriously painful tazer. remember, its the amps that'll kill you
>>
>>1171831
>what can I do with an old TV?
Take it out inna woods and shoot it.
You can play old video game consoles or hook up a VHS player. CRTs are obsolescent on the same level as fixed NiCad battery cordless tools, brick sized cell phones and pagers.
The only exceptions are if it were a high res RGB monitor or a late year flat CRT, in which case it would be a valuable to retro gamers.
Thrift stores have a hard time selling these for more than $10.
>>
>>1171831
>How much could I get for selling it online?
Probably nothing.
Most charities won't even accept them for free.

>so I'm unclear on what to do next
You *could* try playing with the flyback transformer. It should be able to create REALLY high voltages.
(100% serious: be careful, this board is slow enough without one of us dying)
>>
>>1171952
>. you can use it to make a seriously painful tazer. remember, its the amps that'll kill you
Tazers put out a really low duty-cycle square wave.
They have far more than enough volts and amps to kill you, but the charge is only active for a few milliseconds at a time.

Also I = E/R, so please stop the "it's not the volts that kill you" meme.

>>1171952
>The NES duck hunt gun only works on CRTs because of the refresh rate. Similarly with other 'light zappers' from CRT era...
I'm old enough to remember the Odyssey system. It had a gun that responded to ANY light source.
You could point the gun at a sunny window and score a hit.
>>
>>1171831
There's some fun projects you can only do with CRTs. This is a "wobulator" created by adding extra coils and driving them with LFOs to make image distortions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijAaLxiYiWM

A simpler project is to cut the wires to one of the deflection coils and drive that from an external amplifier. That will get you an oscilloscope. Not in any way good enough to be useful lab equipment but interesting to look at.
>>
File: 1493834892730.jpg (55KB, 1085x467px) Image search: [Google]
1493834892730.jpg
55KB, 1085x467px
get one of these from radioshack. its only 5 bucks due to the clearence
>>
>>1171971
I like how you use E for voltage. That's how I learned it too.
>>
>>1171952
> its the amps that'll kill you

not particularly, there's a lot of factors involved like skin resistance and supply voltage. AC can pass through the body more easily than DC, but DC is particularly bad since it doesn't have the current interrupted like AC or switched DC so it can clamp muscles shut. happened to me once working on a tv and i grabbed the driver board without discharging the caps. that taught me a lesson i'll never forget.

that said, in an every day situation, you could touch a 12v battery with dry hands capable of supplying a few hundred amps like a car battery and it won't kill you. try that with your hands being soaked in water for a half hour and things might be different.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2763825/
>>
File: TV01.jpg (129KB, 600x427px) Image search: [Google]
TV01.jpg
129KB, 600x427px
>>1171831
Also, forgot to answer OP question. Just do what I do with them OP. Pic related. (1/6)
>>
File: TV02.jpg (89KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
TV02.jpg
89KB, 700x700px
>>1172007
(2/6)
>>
File: TV03.jpg (121KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
TV03.jpg
121KB, 700x700px
>>1172008
(3/6)
>>
File: TV04.jpg (191KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
TV04.jpg
191KB, 700x700px
>>1172009
(4/6)
>>
File: TV05.jpg (265KB, 582x782px) Image search: [Google]
TV05.jpg
265KB, 582x782px
>>1172010
(5/6)
>>
File: TV06.jpg (83KB, 400x476px) Image search: [Google]
TV06.jpg
83KB, 400x476px
>>1172013
(6/6)
>>
File: honerable01.jpg (143KB, 450x527px) Image search: [Google]
honerable01.jpg
143KB, 450x527px
>>1172014
Whoops. Forget a couple more.
>>
File: honerable02a.jpg (146KB, 320x457px) Image search: [Google]
honerable02a.jpg
146KB, 320x457px
>>1172016
>>
File: honerable02b.jpg (114KB, 320x457px) Image search: [Google]
honerable02b.jpg
114KB, 320x457px
>>1172017
I personally planted all of these, and you can too >>1171831
>>
>>1171831
No clue but be careful doing that shit OP.

Did exactly this as a young lad and infested our house with fucking roaches.
>>
>>1171831
Always wanted to use my old 32" and put an lcd in the front and make a door for hide shit. Bolt it down even. This day and age crt almost never get stolen cause they weigh a billion pounds
>>
>>1171970
Lol. I always wonder how many of us die doing this.

>be me
>find metal 1/2" drive drill with old ass frayed cord
>guy tosses it because it died
>figured fuck yeah i could put a cird on it and not spend $300 on a fucking drill!
>buddy comes over
>newcording.jpg
>"hey Anon my uncle did that."
>"fuck yeah awseime idea aint it? Free power tools!"
>it's how he died anon... metal drill shorted when he tried it and grabbed him.
Fuuuuuug
>>
>>1171831
Well, you could either use it as a server monitor or tear it up for the flyback transformer and copper wire inside. Like others have said, make sure you don't get shocked by the capacitors in there. Look up how to discharge a crt before you try taking anything out of it. I made a nice PVC bug zapping stick out of the flyback from a CRT, so I really look at them as a goldmine for parts.
>>
>>1171972
This is pretty cool. Thanks
>>
>>1171996
IMFG YUS PC TO TV IS NOT A MEME
>>
>>1172007
Lol. Asshole
>>
>>1171831
I take the Flyback, Capacitors, Transistors, Mosfets, Heat Sinks, Diodes, Voltage Regulators, Enameled Copper Wire, Degaussing Cable and Speakers for future projects.
>>
>>1172220
That's a pretty great idea, actually.

What's the best way to gut a CRT without killing yourself?
>>
>>1171996
What the fuck 30 fucking dollars for a fucking cable.
>>
>>1172343
Its a converter, not a cable
Unless of course you have figured out a way to change an analog signal into a digital one using just a cable.
>>
>>1172357
I picked up a composite to vga converter for $10 30 dollars is way overpriced
>>
>>1172359
VGA is analog you mong, you can straight splice wires from composite to VGA.
Your typical HDMI-RCA converters on amazon are 15-20$
You pay a premium to be able to walk into a store and pick it up off the shelf.
30$ is not an outlandish price, and pretty much what you expect when walking into radioshack.

Its not like when stores were charging 80$ for HDMI cables
>>
>>1172289
i dunno, but we used to play super smash on a crt with no body, just guts. it sat on an old antique chair in the middle of the room, and the cord was just long enough to reach the outlet so it was quite the hazard. also ,we had cats!
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.