[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ultra bright LEDs that can be pulsed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: ultrabight_LED_pulse.png (87KB, 1149x441px) Image search: [Google]
ultrabight_LED_pulse.png
87KB, 1149x441px
Looking for bright multicolor LEDs such as the one I have in the image that can output high luminescence but also can be pulsed at frequencies ~10kHz to 40kHz

Currently using the CBT90 LEDs from Luminus but they don't have a multicolor LED that can be modulated with a driver... so I can only control one at a time and that's a pain for the application I am working on. I'm not in the EE field so I'm having trouble sifting through the options for the right LED
>>
>>1171818

All LEDs can be pulsed, at least up until the point that parasitics keep them powered even during the off periods. That doesn't usually happen until well above your 40kHz requirement. For reference, the dirt-cheap IR LEDs in remote controls are modulated at 38kHz to help provide immunity to ambient IR noise.

I'm not entirely clear, however...are you looking for an LED with an integrated driver (possibly with addressing) that will work for what you're trying to do, or do you just want them bare? If the former, good luck with that. If the latter, just grab any LED with the right power specs.
>>
>>1171850
I'm trying to blink an LED with a specific pattern. I want to upload code into an Arduino that will tell when to turn the LED on or off. For the LEDs that I posted in the image, I needed a driver for that since I could not just use a function generator to turn on or off the current since it is far too low.

In this project, I wanted to know if there was a multicolor LED where i could also address each color of the LED such that they all blink with unique patterns that go up to the 40kHz frequency.

I don't think I can just do this with a function generator right?
>>
>>1171861
>driver
that's just a mosfet used to switch the LED from its supply to ground.

>i could also address each color of the LED such that they all blink with unique patterns that go up to the 40kHz frequency.

are you talking about each one blinking at a different frequency ranging from 10-40khz or up to 40Khz for the whole array?
>>
>>1171861

You're going to need some sort of "driver" no matter what you do, if you're looking for LEDs that need THAT much current. A plain-old resistor works up to about 1W (depending on supply voltage), a linear regulator would probably be better above that.

How much output do you even need out of these things? It sounds like you're trying to transmit data via ambient light.
>>
>>1171871
I'm using this for a biomed application where I am trying to see fluorescent molecules but I need the excitation source to be really bright so can't use normal LEDs.

>>1171865
I will be blinking each of the LEDs at 40kHz but each of them blink with a different pattern.

So you think i can just get separate mosfets that control each led? So basically keep all of them powered at high voltage and run a mosfet to control the current through them by turning a switch on/off quickly? and that should work?
>>
>>1171878
>So you think i can just get separate mosfets that control each led? So basically keep all of them powered at high voltage and run a mosfet to control the current through them by turning a switch on/off quickly? and that should work?

Assuming you stay under the current limits (there should be a graph in the datasheet about current vs. time), it would work fine. You should still put an appropriately-sized resistor in series with each LED, though, to help keep current levels predictable.
>>
>>1171878

there are multichannel PWM led drivers available where you can set the overall frequency ( i think some go up to ~40khz?) and each channel pwm can be set individually (8 bits, so 256 levels)
i.e. http://www.nxp.com/products/interfaces/ic-bus-portfolio/ic-led-display-control:MC_48878

you'd program your arduino to tell the driver chip what you want over the i2c bus, then the driver drives the mosfet which switches the LEDs
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.