[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help with DIY E-014 filter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: pic1_full.jpg (26KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
pic1_full.jpg
26KB, 500x375px
Okay so I got one of those polish gas masks called the OM-14. The filter is called the E-014 filter. It was made in 1985. Now I've heard it has asbestos in it, so I need to know how to make a replica one for cheap. If anyone has links to a real filter that looks like the original that isn't poisonous, then pls link that.
>>
>>1171435
The only way asbestos would be a problem is catastrophic canister failure. You would notice the carbon leaking.
>>
But what about all the people who got severe cancer link to asbestos like ww2 vets?
>>
>>1171476
They didn't get it from gas masks. It was mostly in insulation. The old style of canister was available and in use up until the early 2000s.
>>
>>1171480
Huh that makes sense. Do you have a link or at least a website where I could research this. I mean you would have had to have gotten it from somewhere right? Last thing I need is mesothelioma
>>
>>1171473
He DID say he got it used. One of the common reasons surplus gets dumped is shit's broke / beyond its safe lifespan.
>>
>>1171483
Dunno about his sources, but gas masks had very little use in WW2. Thus, whatever health problems they had, gas masks were an unlikely reason.
Everything had asbestos in it in 1940.
>>
>>1171571
>>1171553
Its from 1984 or 85 though so :/
>>
>>1172027
Right. What was the largest group of people that got asbestosis during WWII, though? The Navy and Merchant Marines. Their ships were full of asbestos because a fire was a huge concern. It was comparatively rare in the Army, though. Who had most of the gas masks? The Army.

The US Army used gas masks containing asbestos exclusively until only 10-15 years ago. Why aren't their tons of Army vets from the 70s and 80s with Asbestosis? After 30-40 years they should be showing signs. Because the amount of asbestos exposure from a gas mask is very little. The mask is a *filter*. Its entire job is to make sure shit does not get in your lungs. Hell, I was in the Army for 4 years and I probably spent less than 8 hours total in a gas mask. My lungs are fine. Knees are shot but that is another story.

Or fuck it, dude. Take a can opener to the bottom of your canister, dump the contents in a plastic bag, wrap it up and toss it. That's what they do with asbestos. Right into the landfill. You wash the inside out with soap and water and it is fine. It's not radioactive. It doesn't stick to stuff. You clean it up and it is gone. Do it outside, don't kick up a ton of dust and clean up properly after.
>>
>>1172032
Well I think I might just keep it normally. I'm saving up for the S10 with a 40mm NATO filter but thanks. I only asked a lot since its 4chan and all. How much asbestos would you average to be in since it's confirmed more or less but since its from Lithuania, would it be a lot or like barely anything? I know it leaking would do something though.
>>
>>1171435
You are just cosplaying so why not throw the filter canister away and connect a short, modern small canister filter to the mask by using a short piece of radiator hose and a couple of clamps?

What the fuck do you people DO with junk masks anyway?
>>
>>1172032
And if you are going to scrap out and replace the guts, filter material you think contains asbestos, get them wet FIRST. Fill the thing with water, shake it and roll it around a bit and THEN cut it open, clean out.

If you want to retain some function you could probably cobble together a replacement inner device. Maybe a scrapped 3m mask (for the connector) mounted to a (diagonal?) plate that you can remove but is gasketed at the edge. Choose something that allows clearance for an appropriate filter unit (or two) to be placed.

If this is just for cosplay you could put a very small filter element, fan and battery in the filter assembly, get constant forced air to help cool you down. Might have to prop open the gaskets to allow air flow through the exhaust.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.